Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1378 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2006 10:37 AM by ljgood RSS
kobelaker08@msn.com Amateur 11 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2006 6:03 PM

5k races

Hi,

I would like get some advice on shaving up some minutes of my personal best.  I have done 2 5k races within a 23:16 and 23:37 it's ok but, I would like see my time somewhere around the late 21's or early 22 at least. I'm 31 years old and I believe it's possible i'm just looking for some training tips that have worked for you. If you can help me that will be great.  Thanks...

• smo5246 Legend 204 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Nov 26, 2006 11:19 AM (in response to kobelaker08@msn.com)
    Re: 5k races

Visualizing yourself running faster times is the most important step.  The rest is easy.  Focus on running one speed session a week for three or four weeks.  These runs will consist of only five miles.  Week one:  warm up easy for a mile, then alternate 50 seconds at 5k pace and 60 seconds at warm up pace for three miles.  Cool down a mile.  Week 2:  2x200, 6x400 and 2x200.  Run the first set of 200s at about 45-50 seconds per quarter.  Run the 400s starting at 1:40 and work yourself down to 1:35.  The last set of 200s are butt kickers.  Your rest interval is at warm up pace and is the same distance as the intervals. Do this a couple of more times and then show up for a 5k well rested.  Since you have learned to pace yourself, don't go out too fast the first 1/4 mile in the race and work yourself into a comfortable pace where you are below the talk threshold, but not gasping for breath.  Kick it up the last mile of the race.  Good luck.

• ljgood Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Nov 27, 2006 10:37 AM (in response to kobelaker08@msn.com)
    Re: 5k races

Like the above advice, short speed intervals 1-2xs/week should help.  Also, if you can get yourself pumped up or even angry right before the race, you can create a surge of adrenaline that will help you run a little faster and easier.  On race days where I am freaking out about arriving on time before the race starts (I'm always running late), I have better race times and running seems easier than on race days where I am on time and relaxed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...