Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18127 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2012 7:16 PM by Ogr44 1 2 Previous Next
MartinJ99 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2006 6:42 AM

Respectable 5k Finish time

I am a 44 year old male who has been running for a coule years (mostly treadmill) and am wondering what is a respectable finish time for a 5k, and what is the time I need to shoot for to be at the front of my age group.  My first 5k time was 22:20.

• msyslo Amateur 21 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 13, 2006 7:00 PM (in response to MartinJ99)
    Re: Respectable 5k Finish time

What's the difference?  You RAN the race.  You got off your duff, and did it.  99.8% of people have no idea of the high you get when you finish the race, whether your first, last, or in the middle.  Who cares?  You did the race.

OK, I'm 37, and think a 22:20 is a great time.  Perhaps find race results by age category, and check it out.  I know for a fact the runner's world 5K/half marathon results for the last couple years are on their website.  Start there.

• persondude69 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Mar 13, 2006 7:25 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

22:20 is a very respectable time. There are a good number of highschool guys who run that. Actually, on my cross-country team, you would find that about 1/3 of the guys run that or slower.

Good work. You should really be proud of yourself.

• Yazzer Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Mar 16, 2006 6:40 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

I am 46 now and began running races 3 years ago - at the time I was in the 24:00 range for a 5K (7:45 pace) and I thought that respectable! Now, three years later I regularly clock around 20:45-21:30 (6:45-6:55 pace) with a PR at 20:19. I am hoping to crack under 20:00 one of these days but the age clock is ticking PLUS I am a big runner 6-1 about 200 lbs - can't fly around like those 140 pounders! Good job on your 5K....as far as tops in your age group you have to consider the size of the race (25 people or 500? easier is the former). Also, it seems that the 40-44 and 45-49 groups are more competitive than the younger one cuz all the mid-life crissi folks like you and I are out there! In a race with say 150 people, you can place 3rd typically with you 22:20, but usually, there are a few ringers even in those small races that will break 19:00 or 20:00 in your age group.

m

• jamesgelb Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 21, 2006 12:20 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

Your time is good. I used to run in the 18min range

when I was in my earlier 20s and was a respectable

runner but with a larger frame than the super skinny

types...I was 5'10", 155 pounds. I gained a bunch of weight and noew took off 50 pounds so at age 43 I now weight 170 shooting for 165. At 43 and this weight and training hard including track workouts I got down to 20:30 within a year and 20:00 is looking realistic soon. I would say anything between 22:00 and 20:00 is very good for our age. I agree with the person about race size. In many races with fewer than about 150 people you can come in the top 3 in over 40 age groups with times in the 22:00 range with an occasional ringer here and there.

In larger races this is a bit tougher.

• rockyvarg Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jun 4, 2011 1:09 AM (in response to MartinJ99)

Ok, since none of these recreational "joggers" will tell you the truth I will. You're about 5 1/2 minutes off being considered fast for your age group. If you can't run under 6 minute miles for a 5k you're just another jogger.

That being said, for a first timer 22 isn't awful, keep and get to the track. Do 8 x 440's at 80% of race w/440 jogs in between and don't listen to these joggers.

From a 50 year old swimmer that jsut ran a 16:05 5k.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Sep 22, 2006 10:46 AM (in response to MartinJ99)
    welcome to the sport chris

thanks for being helpful and cheerful

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• ocallrea Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Sep 22, 2006 10:49 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

Although I admire the 50 year old swimmer for running around 16 minutes flat for the 5K, this is a rare exception and not the norm for any age group.  In fact in high school cross country races in Colorado, this would win most of the races out there in any division.  In citizen's races, this is often a winning time, particularly if it is not in a large metropolitan area.  The first question is what is respectable for a guy in his mid 40's for this race.  I say 22:20 minutes is slightly better than average for typical runners in this age group, and that a respectable time is under 20 minutes.  The second question of what time would essentially be an award winner in his age division, it depend on how large and established the race is.  Typically, it would be in the 17's.  Anything in the 16's is rare especially at this age, and involves alot of training and dedication.  My suggestion would be to run outside more often than on the treadmill. In  particular, do some speed work on the track every week and mix it up with distance and hills.  If you insist on running on the treadmill, see how far you can go once a week at the 10 MPH setting. If you can consistently go 3.1 miles, then I say your in racing condition.

• saracut Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Sep 23, 2006 11:20 AM (in response to MartinJ99)

From a recreational "jogger"- don't worry about how fast your time is and don't let people who call you slow deter you from having a good time.  60% of people in this country are overweight and we need more people that encourage people to exercise instead of letting them stay home because they're afraid of being looked down upon by other, faster people in the race.  Just get out there!  Better yet, take some friends with you!

signed,

a yoga instructor/runner who likes races with LOTS of people in them of all abilites

• sreisenb Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Sep 23, 2006 5:11 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

I am 35 and just started running a few months ago.. I was at 320 pounds last November and Today I ran my 3rd 5k in3 months.. I ran today in 31:01.    YOur time is great.. U got out and did it. COngrats to u

• dvishey Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Sep 23, 2006 8:12 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

You ask "what is the time I need to shoot for" ...The best answer is to look up other races and your age group and see what are the best times.  Ideally you want to find some bigger races where more talent competes.  This will give you the goal to reach.  Until then, keep running and have fun!

• jamesgelb Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Sep 25, 2006 9:55 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

Ah, to the modest swimmer who his many, many standard

deviations from the norm. If by respectable we

mean "not a slow poke by any means" than <22 min

is still good. I just had a VO2max test and my

results (which also yielded at 19 min 5k time)

put me in the top 1% for the general population.

For runners anything under 22 is good, under 20

very good, under 18 great, under 16 rare and possibly

ex-elite. Calling us joggers!!! I will assume the

swimmer was being tongue-in-cheek. Nevertheless, I

will not play games-his time is remarkable-but

I bet Said Aouita (now in his late 40s) we laugh at

15 minutes

• thebunnyzoo Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Sep 26, 2006 9:51 AM (in response to MartinJ99)

I just ran my FIRST 5k at the age of 37. And I was ecstatic to learn that I finished at least 20~minutes in front of many of the other runners. In fact, there were younger MEN finishing much later than I did. I felt so good about myself and have already signed up for 6 more in the coming months. I'M HOOKED, with a finishing time of 34:22.

I realize that the placing females in my age category finished in times ranging from 25:36 to 21:25. I am really only in competition with my own time and was very proud to be able to finish my first race with the time I did.

Also, there was an 82 year old man who finished the run in 46:20 and I was so inspired. When I am 82, I hope to be able to finish a race of this type.

BE PROUD OF YOU and WHAT YOU CAN DO!!

• jerrygill Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Sep 26, 2006 12:00 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

I started running at age 50. At age 55 I ran a 19:42, at

age 59 20:26. Now I'm 66 and can barely grind out a 25!

At age 44 you have many good, fast years ahead of you, IF

you hit the track and run a lot of 5Ks and want to get

lower and lower. But 22-23 is still pretty good. I'd DIE

(almost) for a 22 something!

• Cyclingmaniac2004 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Sep 26, 2006 4:27 PM (in response to MartinJ99)

First, I agree with a previous poster about having fun! My goal is to find a Martini (dry,lightly bruised) at the Finish Line waiting for me.  

My times are not "respectable". Started running in late 40s. So if I don't have a "respectable" time, what can I do to improve the times.  Recreational jogging doesn't seem to help improve.  I jog marathons! My marathon pace and my 5K pace are one in the same. 

Suggestions?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...