Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1077 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2006 4:08 PM by milton14 RSS
flatoutgallop Rookie 7 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2006 12:18 AM

running times?

Hello!

I have my first duathlon on January 21, so a bit of time of training left (thank god...I am so unfit!)...and have been running and biking etc..

But can anyone tell me what kind of time I will need to do for a 2km run?

Its only a baby duathlon (10km bike, 2km run) but I have NOOO idea what kind of time I'll need to be able to do the run in!

Thanks!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 26, 2006 8:44 AM (in response to flatoutgallop)
    First time is about the finish line not time

be conservative on the first run and air it out on the bike and 2nd run. don't stress about your time -it's youre first race and it's a learning experience. just enjoy it!

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• wsngmartin Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 26, 2006 11:37 PM (in response to flatoutgallop)
    Re: running times?

absolutely do not put yourself under time pressure.  you cannot predict how the weather will be like (temp, humidity, wind chill), how the other participants might slow you down, and how you will feel on that particular day so why not just give yourself credit for taking this challenge?

i started running marathons last year.  my first one, the veterans said how awesome, it's your first, all you have to do is enjoy yourself and finish.  try not to lose sight of that.  so of course i did, ended up doing four that year, trying to beat my times and meet some arbitrary goal.  really detracted from the experience.  now i leave my watch at home most of the time.

• HenrysBaseball Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 27, 2006 12:30 AM (in response to flatoutgallop)

DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BUT IT IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO HIRE A TRAINED PRO THAT CAN HELP YOU TO ACCOMPLISH YOUR GOALS,A SKILLED TRAINER IS WHAT YOU NEED. 781 891 0621  WWW.HENRYSBASEBALLCLUB.COM NO ONE FORGETS WWW,HENRYSBASEBALLCLUB.COM AFTER ONE OF OUT WORKOUTS. TRY IT TO FIND OUT.

• rlauezzari Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Oct 27, 2006 12:53 PM (in response to flatoutgallop)

I want to endorse the sentiments expressed by others about times. Don't get trapped into trying to achieve an unrealistic goal. These events are fun if you want them to be and the only goal I ever have is to get my fare share of it.

I do think it's a good habit to know what pace you are most comforatable with and try to stick to it. That's where training comes in. It helps resist a temptation to try to keep up with faster runners on race day - a dumb mistake I have made with miserable consequences (injuries) that sidelined me for several week.

• milton14 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Oct 29, 2006 4:08 PM (in response to flatoutgallop)

Like the rest, do your best and don't ruin your first duathalon by worrying

about the time. It really takes the fun out of it. Just be happy that you're doing it, and just finish. Maybe the next one you can pick it up a little. Enjoy, have fun!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...