Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1143 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2006 2:07 AM by shornke RSS
JWP1933 Amateur 16 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 25, 2006 1:41 PM

Running or walking with weights

Some years ago there was a movement to hold light weights while running or walking.  I haven't heard much about this recently but saw a commercial with Sally Field where she is walking holding weights.  Any feedback from the group?  Thanks.

• wsngmartin Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 26, 2006 11:41 PM (in response to JWP1933)
    Re: Running or walking with weights

i have seen people walking with weighted sticks, but i am generally against running with weights.  i think there have been concerns about shoulder injuries.  but while you are running you should be concentrating on form, keeping your torso straight, your pelvis in the correct position, and your arms relaxed and loose.  i would think that holding weights might throw your form off if you haven't already nailed it solidly.  i do run with hand held water bottles in hot weather but i do notice more neck and shoulder soreness/stiffness afterwards.

• HenrysBaseball Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 27, 2006 12:20 AM (in response to JWP1933)

WE ASK THE PLAYERS TO USE A 40 POUND VEST.IT FITS SNUG. ALSO AS THEY STRIDE WITH 2 DUMBELS OF 8 POUNDS EACH. ONE IN EACH HAND. TO THIS DATE ALL HAVE REPORTED THE THE WORKOUT WAS HARD BUT AFTER TAKING THE VEST OFF THE FELT LIKE A YOUNG CHEETAH.WWW.HENRYSBASEBALLCLUB.COM 781 891 0621 NO ONE FORGETS WWW,HENRYSBASEBALLCLUB.COM AFTER ONE OF OUT WORKOUTS. TRY IT TO FIND OUT.

• shornke Pro 138 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 28, 2006 2:07 AM (in response to JWP1933)

Dear HenrysBaseball,

aside from the fact that writing all upper-case in a post is considered shouting (which some people do consider as being impolite), I also find the content of your post problematic.

Running with weights might have some benefits for trained persons, for the untrained and/or overweight person, to put additional stress to the joints, does not seem like a very good idea.

If you do use weights, I see your point about a snug fitting weight vest rather than hand-held weights to take stress from neck and shoulders.

LIVESTRONG

Stefan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...