Skip navigation

11878 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2008 12:49 PM by KarlD_Navy84 1 2 3 Previous Next
lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,411 posts since
Jan 18, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 1, 2008 3:38 PM

Other Sunday Runs

King of Prussia 10-Miler

I went into this with no great expectations.  It was advertised as a “challenging” course (we all know what that means – it ain’t flat) and I had a mediocre 13 mile run last weekend.  Then I pulled a muscle in my left leg Thursday – inside of thigh, abductor or adductor, I can never remember which is which.  So I didn’t feel well prepared.

And the race exceeded my worst expectations.  This course almost makes CMM look flat.  8:30 start, bright sun, no clouds, not good.  Then I hit mile one in 8:35 – uh oh! – too fast.  So I slowed down some (the hills helped a lot) and I figured I would go at 10 minute pace or a little faster.  That I did until mile 5, when a kid running the race (10 or 11 year old) decided to pretty much collapse right next to me.  So I stayed with him for a while until a course worker assured me help was on the way and someone who knew him came by (he was OK, just pushed too hard).  Started running again, uphill again, what a slog.  I got some water at the mile 6 water stop and walked while I drank. I tried to start running again, and my leg said no way.  So I did walk/run, as opposed to run/walk, for the next 2 plus miles, constant up and down, with another monster hill at 8.  Then I was able to get going again, albeit at a slow pace, and managed to run most of the rest.  This section actually had a fair amount of downhill, with only one big hill remaining, reminiscent of the one approaching mile 17 at CMM.  Elapsed time 1:51:30.  At least I remembered the sunscreen this time.

Len

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    1. Jun 1, 2008 4:10 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: Other Sunday Runs

Ugh!  Sorry, Len, but that sounds miserable.  I hate hills (in case I haven't mentioned that this week) and anything WORSE than CMM gets my Screw That! vote.    Well, between having to stop and tend to kids and running with a pulled abductor (I think that's the inside one) and the heat and the hills... doesn't sound like you had a lot going well for you.  Hey, you finished.  And the pace didn't see like anything to sneeze at in those conditions!  Congrats on making it through and hanging in there.  A lot more than I've done lately.  I miss "talking" with you guys!  I'll be glad when MCM gets closer and I have the anticipation of everyone getting together again.  This time, I'll bring the Maker's Mark for you

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    2. Jun 1, 2008 4:19 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

You finished, YEAH!!!!!   Isn't that really what it's all about, or actually the trying.  Congrats and you stopped with the kid, and you were in pain, it sounds like purgatory to me.  Better next time, and as you've told just about everyone, there will be many times that are lots better.

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    3. Jun 1, 2008 4:39 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Congratulations on perservering, Len! Just think how much your next 10 miler will seem! It was very nice of you to make sure the kid was okay.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    5. Jun 1, 2008 4:46 PM (in response to Courir26)

Len looks like we had simialr races today.  Mine did not have the hils as bad and no kid colaapsing but pergatory none the less.  Good job on getting through it.  You amaze me most times.  I did forget the SunScreen and my head is nice and tender.  Not burnt too bad just tender.

Jimmy

Good job Lenmaster

This place is like home!!!!

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Jun 1, 2008 5:29 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Sounds like a killer course today.  You should be proud, even if it was tough.  Congratulations to you!!

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    7. Jun 1, 2008 6:23 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Len, I'm so proud of you getting out there and giving it your all, even with bad conditions. I have so much respect for the consistency of your running, it seems like you're always trained for a race and go in with a great attitude. Not only that but you win the karma award, you are always there to help others whether it is a pep-talk during training, company during the beginning of a race, care and attention when someone goes down in the middle, or even "just" a snickers bar at the end. I'm really proud to have people like you out running races. Keep it up

I ran three miles... still taking it easy before going back full force. Halfway through I saw a little old lady struggling to get up the three stairs to her porch and on the porch were laundry baskets and grocery bags. I asked if I could help and she looked so confused but relieved... I looked inside and she had about 15 stairs to the top of her apartment! It took me three easy trips to get everything up and during that time she hadn't even made it to the top of the stairs... she said she was recovering from a hip replacement and had to have her other hip done soon. In her apartment was an old man she said was a friend trying to fix her shower curtain rod... it had fallen two days ago and hadn't been able to bath because she couldn't get it back up. Thankfully I was tall enough and strong enough to get it hanging in place. She gave me a few dollars as thank you which I ferociously tried to refuse until she basically stuck them in my running shorts , told me I needed to eat a sandwhich, and that she would say a prayer for me. I honestly am SO thankful I went running and picked that route today... I have no idea how she would have gotten everything up the stairs without me. I felt HORRIBLE about the few dollars she gave me so I turned the rest of my run into trying to pass it on to someone. I ran by my favorite coffee shop (maybe I'd buy someone a cup of coffee) but NO ONE was in line... not one person. Then I thought I'd give it to the homeless man I sometimes make dinner for, so I ran by there but he wasn't at his usual place. I failed to pass on the money, but it was the most rewarding run ever... I think every once in a while I'm going to grab a few bucks and make my run a good-deed hunt and look for people to do something small for. As far as my failure to do so today, the money is sitting on my counter... anyone have any ideas for what small good thing I can do with a few dollars? 

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    8. Jun 1, 2008 6:25 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

I did the Disney Race for the Taste one year and a woman just in front of me just went down, face first, she didn't even try to catch herself. The Disney people were there in seconds (they don't like that kind of publicity) It's hard to describe how unsettling that is. That was kind of you to stop, I think sometimes people don't know what to do in those situations. I'm glad he was OK. 

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
  • FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    9. Jun 1, 2008 6:33 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat, you are just such a good, sweet soul.  What a saint you must have been to that lady!  Take those dollars on your next run.  That homeless man will be out there one of these times soon, I am sure, and you will make his day.  Thanks for being so inspiring to us all!  Your parents must be so proud they could burst at the seams.  They should be.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    11. Jun 1, 2008 7:15 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

KAT, YOU'RE A GOOD WOMAN.

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    12. Jun 1, 2008 7:57 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat,

You have such a big heart.  We need more people like you in this world.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jun 1, 2008 8:48 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Yay Len! Yay Kat! Len, you are one tough cookie on the outside, and a marshmellow creampuff on the inside. Kat, when I get really old, I'm going to move so I live near you.  When I see an elderly person with a bunch of heavy groceries or something, or just wanting to talk (and kind of rambling on to me about their grandchildren, medications, or whatever )  I think "how would I want someone to treat my mother?"  and I try to treat them that way.  Jimmy, you should wear a little hanky hat. It'd keep your head from burning, and would be very cute.  26.2 miles of bald headed hanky hat!

Chocolate is very nice.
  • Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007

Lee I almost wore a hat but decided against it last minute.  The hanky hat would work as well.

Kat - THis is the person I try and be daily.  It can get tiring but the good in you shines through and all that are not threatened by that person you are will benefit from it.  I could tell from your presence at Landini and brothers that you were what me and Liz call an "Old Soul".  It drives the hustle and bustle youth crazy to be kind and trying to slow down to assist a little old ladie in ways she could not find imaginable but you did it.  The story made me smile and let out that aaahhh!!!! sound but deep down inside it made me proud to say I am someone who knows you.  Take that few dollars and buy the little old lady a plant for her window sill, and make friends with her even more so then you already have.  Kindness goes a super duper long ways and this can be the start of a good friendship.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...