Skip navigation

41200 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2010 10:33 PM by dave@sourcedirectpromos.c RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • SeeCee Pro 85 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 12, 2008 4:51 PM (in response to rubina)
    Re: Does anyone know a weight loss strategy???

Hi,

All of your answers sound good but what about those of us who have eaten this way and exercised for years. I lift weights 4-5x/week and do 30-45min/3-4x wk of cardio either jogging, walk and jog or elliptical. I eat good carbs and lean protein throughout the day. I actually started this many years ago secondary to hypoglycemia. I want a more sinewy look than I have and though I continue to read and learn more about when to eat certain foods to provide the best fuel to your muscles and burn fat I do not lose weight. I have restriced my caloric intake for many years and have kept a daily diary or intake(calories, carbs, prot, fat) For the past year I've been about 40-45-15. I recently am trying to up my calories and carbs/day after reading more about he need for carbs in the diet. I'm no longer convinced I'll lose muscle mass if I drop my protein a bit. I would welcome any suggestions and congrats to those of you who are losing weight. You'll feel better about yourself and your body thanks you.  

66th Manchester Road Race Nov. 28 2002 4.7miles 55:11

On the Road Again!!

Chester 4 on the 4th: 41:45

9/24/11 Mari's Miles of Smiles 10K 1:02:21

10/23/11 15th Annual Columbia Autumn Classic Road Race 5K 30:06

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    16. Nov 21, 2008 7:55 AM (in response to rubina)

Listen to a few of my recent podcast at http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com . I give out a ton of different fat loss strategies that I use with my online clients.

Cheers,

Ben

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• KAPOSTA Amateur 9 posts since
    Dec 7, 2008
    17. Dec 11, 2008 11:36 AM (in response to rubina)

Although there are many ways to lose weight, you must remember that the goal is not weight -loss. The goal is fat-loss. Weight-loss can be bone, muscle or water weight. Fat -loss is about losing excess body fat. At your age, according to the most reliable statistics, there is a good chance you drink sodas. The average American consumes 43,000 sodas in a lifetime. As a nation, we drink 178 million cans per/day! Many sodas contain High Fructose Corn Syrup and or Aspartame. Corn syrup was banned as a food additive in the early 1900's by Dr. Harvey Wiley, the head of The Bureau of Chemistry (now FDA), because it was causing diabetes in test animals. He accurately predicted that if we ever allowed corn syrup to be used as a food additive, we wiould become a nation of diabetics. Last year there were 21 million diabetics in this country with a healthcare cost to the taxpayers of $120 billion. Aspartame, denied approval by the FDA for 16 years in a row because of brain damage in test animals, is a narcotic excitotoxin that depletes Serotonin, the feel good hormone that effects mood and junk-food/drink craving. Aspartame is in nearly all chewing gum( see miniscule print ingredient labels). I am confident that the reason you don't "feel good" is Serotonin related. This is often the byproduct of improper dieting. According to Lancet, improper dieting reduces a key amino acid (tryptophan) that is required for the production of Serotonin. The #1 prescribed drugs in America for adults and children are the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors...AKA anti-depressants (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft,etc.). Also, the reduction of saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet compromises healthy brain function.These two healthy fats are essential for maintaining hormonal balance/good health and they do not compromise heart health. Make sure to eat your three meals each day(breakfast is the key). Food combine, protein, fats and carbohydrates at every meal. Include moderate exercise and you will be on your way to successful, healthy,long-term fat-loss.

• running cat Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 13, 2008
    18. Dec 12, 2008 9:35 AM (in response to rubina)

Hi Rubina, I myself am not a petite runner, and I love to eat whatever sounds good to me at the moment.  However, I have recently added Yoga to my training and am now losing not only inches around my waist, but also losing weight.  It is only a slight difference since I refuse to eliminate all fat from my diet.  Nevertheless, I am subconciously making better choices for my diet and craving more fresh fruits and vegetables instead of french fries and chili.  Additionally, don't worry about your weight so much as this may be self defeating.  Just try to focus on being healthy and making healthier food choices regardless of the situation or event you may be a part of;( i.e. parties, family events, etc...).  Depending on the level requirements of your training, try to eat smaller meals about every 3-4 hours w/ lean protein and carbs, and raw fruits and veggies.  Also keep in mind that alot of our body's cells renew themselves on an hourly basis, so whatever you eat will be used to renew those cells.  The healthier the food will consequently affect what you eventually crave to eat (i.e. lean turkey vs. fried hamburgers, etc..)..  Hope this helps you for the long term Rubina..

Take care,    Veronica

• High Performance Fitness Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008
    19. May 6, 2009 3:29 PM (in response to rubina)

Slim or light?  Weight loss may be something that is difficult but there may be something more challenging.  What are your goals?  If your goals are to slim down, that does not necessarily mean weight loss.  It could actually mean more food.  If your goal is to lose weight, calorie counting would seem the easy way to manage.  If your frusteration comes from not being successful, it may be because your goals are not supported by your actions.

If you want to slim down, participate in a frequent resistance program, at least 3X a week.  This may start you on the path to slenderness.  At least it will help you feel better and put you right into a community of people that probably have similar feelings to yours.  This will help with, what sounds like, a lack of consistency.  enjoy your exercise plan and you will make your way to slimdom.  As far as weight loss, you need to relax.  Sometimes the body likes it's weight and doesn't like change.  Add to that your genes, and probably high levels of stress and weight loss seems to be a distant goal.  Journal your eating habits.  Write everything you eat down for at least 2 weeks.  Don't worry about it or judge.  It is just a reflection of what you are doing now, much like a mirror.  You are going to change that mirror once you get an honest assesment.  After 2 weeks, go over your eating habits, then isolate the foods you can change and change them.  Eat healthy, drink lots of water and get lots of rest.  Most importantly, relax.  this may take some time to get it together but it will be worth the empowerment.  Besides, stress is the worst and most difficult obstacle for most of us.

Finally, I believe that the same nervous feelings and insecurities or boredom or love of food that drove us out of control to eating more than we need, will drive us to do crazy things and have crazy diets.  None of it is necessary.  Presence of mind to know that change does not happen overnight,  and that it takes time to gain it or lose it will keep all of us in a positive direction.  Besides, eating too much because of emotions and not eating enough because of emotions are both wrong.  Crazy is crazy.

We should all see results and enjoy our exercise program.  If not, why bother?

• marchlejhon Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    20. Sep 8, 2009 7:19 AM (in response to rubina)

Does anyone know about isagenix? as i found a site cleanserevolution.com

who claim that throught the use of Isagenix programs we can loss weight easly, i want to try it, so if anybody having experience about it let me know

• aprilcapil Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    21. Oct 22, 2009 12:27 PM (in response to rubina)
    You have to SWEAT three times a week at least, and eat 80% GOOD food, not more than 20% bad food. Yes, you can try other things, but they will not work. I have been doing a circuit training boot camp a half an hour, three times a week, and eating kind of healthy (not as healthy as I should be eating - about 60%/40% healthy/unhealthy, to be honest) BUT I am totally stronger and tighter and my clothes are fitting looser after 3 months. I know it's not overnight, but they say the slower you lose, the longer it stays off. When I am eating 80/20, I am a lot fitter, but it's been really hard these days, so I work out religiously to make up for it. My trainer is doing a FREE boot camp this Saturday at 11am in Walnut Creek if you want to try it (http://www.meetup.com/BestFitnessBootCamp/). It's a great workout and it's only 30 minutes.
  • StanRW Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    22. Nov 11, 2009 2:24 PM (in response to rubina)

I know I am a little late but wanted to chime in.

There is only one thing that will cause weight FAT loss.

Calorie deficit. Go online to one of the previously mentioned sites/tools and find out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight.

The method of achieving calorie deficit is not that important.

Find the calories you need to maintain your weight and drop that to a healthy level and increase your calories burned. If you small enough or you are physically fit enough that your daily calories needed is between 1500 and 2200 then don't reduce calories but instead increase calories burned.

A slow jog at a mild pace for a heavy person will burn ~500 calories in 30 minutes. That's a pound a week.

Dropping from 2500 calories to 2000 a day is another pound. That's 2 pounds a week.

Calorie deficit is the key. If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. If you eat less than you burn then you will lose weight. That's a universal truth for everyone. Regardless of physical ability or health.

It really is that easy.

The only hard part is deciding you want to do it and making yourself do it.

• spunk61 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 20, 2008
    23. Nov 12, 2009 1:33 PM (in response to rubina)

This is a fairly simple way to shed some weight . Eat like a rabbit all day long, smaller meals though. This way your body understands it will always have food. Start in the morning to get your engine going. Avoid as much junk as you can though, and stay on your feet as much as you can. This is the key,  when you feel hungry hungry,instead of snacking have a cup of tea. It fills you up ,adds no weight and most of all disracts you from eating for awhile. It's also very good for you. Do this 7 days a week and you must also exercise. I recommend running slowly  or walking swiftly at least 3 days per week for at least 1/2 hour. The Tea is the key and don't sabatoge yourself by eating late at night. Be patient,it's a long range plan

• dan in dc Amateur 10 posts since
    Feb 13, 2008
    24. Dec 14, 2009 7:28 AM (in response to rubina)

Many good answers with many different strategies.  I am 50 years old, run about 20 miles most week, do yoga, etc. but always carried about 10 pounds that I wanted  to lose (at 6 ft 1 was 185 lbs).   I always tried be pretty good about what I ate, but never quite lost the extra weight.  What moved me along (and kept me there with no troubles at all) was becoming a "Less meat-atarian" , a term coined by New York Times food write Mark Bittman in his excellent book "Food Matters."  Book is easy to read and has some receipes, but basically pushes eating less processed food and less meat in general.  We don't all need to be vegetarians/vegans but generally think more about what we are eating and rely less on food whose greatest benefit is convenience.  The surprise in Bittman's book (which made it easier for me to really reduce meat in my diet) was how energy/water  intensive modern agriculture is -- It takes 40 pounds of grain to get one pound of beef, and this grain is grown with huge amounts of oil-based fertilizer.

Bottom line is to listen to what you mother said and eat your vegetables first and know what you are eating (can  you name the ingredients in a Cheeto?) by chooisng less processed food -- you will end up eating less calorie dense food and find yourself losing weight and keeping it off.

• NetGunny Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 1, 2008
    25. Dec 17, 2009 1:08 PM (in response to rubina)

Rubina,

And anyone else who is looking for weight management/fitness answers.  A highly recommend you check a superb web site/community, http://www.sparkpeople.com.  It has tons of weight loss and healthy living advice.  There is a SparkPeople diet plan, a staff of professionals who advise, encourage, and answer questions, a seemingly endless libraby of exercise videos, fitness and nutrition tracking tools, and a heck of a lot more.  I think the most valuable resource on the site is the community of insanely supportive members.  Oh, and did I mention that it is entirely FREE.  So, there is nothing to lose by checking it out.  I think once you see what SparkPeople has to offer you'll be hooked.  There are scores of people who have posted their testimonials of how much weight they lost after joining SparkPeople; there are many that have lost 100+ pounds, safely and sanely.  Check it out . . .

netgunny

• MaxTrainer Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 18, 2009
    26. Dec 18, 2009 5:43 AM (in response to rubina)

As a trainer I hear this complaint quite often...I am working out and eating right but seeing no results! The question I first ask,"What types of exercise are you doing?" This is crucial to anyones weightloss efforts. Not only do you need to do Aerobic type exercises but you also need some Anaerobic activity. Many people often overlook strength training when trying to lose weight in fear of "bulking up." This is a myth!!! In fact, strength training has more post-exercise metabolic spike than aerobic activities. So, I guess my first question to you is: What exercises are you doing? Frequency? Reps?

Secondly, nutrition nutrition nutrition! This should be 80% of your efforts. My advice to all my clients is EAT CLEAN!  do you know about how many calories you are eating? Also, when you eat is just as important as how much and what you eat. My motto is "Junk In = Junk Out!" If you put garbage in your body in return your body is going to look and more importantly feel like garbage.

• Allison17795 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    27. Dec 23, 2009 8:59 PM (in response to rubina)

Two words: Weight Watchers.

• Thrash1 Rookie 5 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    28. Dec 26, 2009 7:10 AM (in response to rubina)

Weight Watchers... Your Kidding Right........... All of the Fade Diets.. Clubs.. Groups.. Anything that asks for $$$ other than a Certified Nutritionist/Trainer or Doctor is Bunk. Its as simple as 1cal in = 1 cal out, a previous poster has the right concept. You need to establish your current metabolic rate based on your weight and activity level. www.active.com, www.livestrong.com, www.trainingpeaks.com.. ect.... all have these calculators. www.livestrong.com has a daily plate food calculator that helps you keeps track of your food intake which gives you a running tally of your current eaten foods as well as available calories you can consume. It has inputs for several actives so you can track them as well and add them to your daily activity/calorie tally.

Once you a baseline calorie intake for Instance 2200 Cal If you want to loose 2 lbs a week you minus the calories needed to loose that weight. If you exercise on top of that even better. I've started at 248# and I'm now 162ish(that's 86#'s folks). depending my daily intake. Its taken me about a year to do it. Keep in mind in that year I trained for triathlons which lets me be flexible in my training both strength and cardio.

Once you cut the Junk out and understand portion control you will be suprised how much you can eat and not even get close to your recommended calorie intake.

• Healthy again Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 28, 2008
    29. Jan 7, 2010 1:22 PM (in response to SeeCee)

Hi there,

I too have had challenges with my weight for many years.  My sister dragged me to a hypnosis seminar I wasn't sure if it would work but IT DID!  I don't know if you can relate but my doctors told me I had to lose weight but my weight was so high it was really hard and embarrassing to be around fit people. My family even said to me you gotta lose weight they offered to pay for a personal trainer, nutritionist anything that would help, I was so upset with myself and this really hit me hard so I knew I had to do something, so I tried hypnosis.

The hypnosis was the start of a life changing journey, I agree with the other posts that you do need to pay attention to what Iyou eat and must exercise but this is what worked for me.  My life is totally different that what is was 1 year ago.  I have more energy than ever, I now run and enjoy going to the gym with confidence cause my insecurities diminished.

My suggestion to you is to try it just to help get you started cause a key to weight loss is how you think about food.  Check this site out and see if this fits for you.  www.markpatrickseminars.com

Thoughts become things - Go for it!

js

HH 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...