Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

10671 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2008 7:45 AM by Tim Kafer
heat3232 Amateur 8 posts since
Apr 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 2, 2008 3:31 PM

Throwing fundamentals

Does anyone have any advice or input on teaching little kids the fundamentals of throwing?

I'm having a hard time conveying the step-by-step actions because it is such a natural movement after all these years... I can't break it down to teach very effectively. Thoughts?

• RSfalcon77 Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008
    1. Jun 2, 2008 3:35 PM (in response to heat3232)
    Re: Throwing fundamentals

Try to keep it as simple as possible.

Here are some basic guidelines to teach your players proper technique. I suggest the "Turn, Look, Step and Throw" method.

1. Turn. After fielding a ball, the player must first turn her body perpendicular to the target. During this transition, the throwing hand retrieves the ball from the glove and grips the ball with the index and middle fingers across the seams of the ball. The thumb will be under the ball, directly on the stitching. Note: Younger players will not be able to grip the ball in this manner, since their hands are not large enough. They will tend to ‘palm' the ball instead, which will be rectified as they get older and larger.

2. Look: The arm comes back as the weight of the player shifts to their back, or throwing-arm, foot. The throwing arm should be flexed at the elbow, not stiff. This part of the skill encourages eye contact with the target player, who needs to know the ball is coming at them. Note: This is especially important with younger players, who will learn not to throw the ball at someone who is not looking.

3. Step: As in most motions, the energy the ‘whole-body' produces far outweighs the results of the action. This action transfers their weight and ‘whole-body' energy from the throwing foot to the target foot. By this time, they should be confident of their target, and the target player is waiting for the ball. This is similar in nature to the weight transfer of the swing.

4. Throw: Let it go and follow through. Before the throwing-arm comes forward, the entire weight of the body is transferred to the forward foot. This transfers energy to the arm and the ball. The throwing arm foot swings forward immediately after delivery and should ‘land in a ready position' as the arm continues downward. The players' body should finish roughly parallel to the target.

• SoftballPerformance_com Pro 128 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Jul 29, 2008 12:22 AM (in response to heat3232)

Here is a list of softball throwing drills in my softball drills directory:

Softball Throwing Drills

Hope that helps.

You also may want  to check  the old  VHS tape (1994) by Mike Candrea called   Throwing Mechanics and Drills. Still  one of the best  softball skills  video  ever  made in my opinion.

Marc Dagenais

Softball Peak Performance Coach

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. Aug 12, 2008 6:28 AM (in response to heat3232)

One other thing I've found useful when teaching a skill that is second nature to me...  Do the skill (hitting, catching, throwing) with your non-dominant hand.  By being a right-handed throwing trying to throw left-handed, I find I can better understand the awkwardness with which the players are approaching the skill.

Good Luck!

• Currently Being Moderated
    4. Aug 12, 2008 7:45 AM (in response to RSfalcon77)

I you want to teach proper throwing mechanics to young children or correct throwing mechanics for any player use the ThrowMAX. The ThrowMAX is a flexible ebow brace that does not allow the elbow to bend greater than 90 derees. This forces the elbow up to shoulder high and the proper arm slot.

Players learn by seeing feeling and hearing. The ThrowMAX allows players to feel the proper motion. The ThrowMAX also comes with throwing drills and can be worn during games.

In addtion it is used by fast pitch pitchers to keep from short arming and keeping the arm long. This will increase speed.

can be purchased on line at www.throwmax.com

Tim

Attachments:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points