Skip navigation

12630 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2008 8:54 AM by Myblueeyedgurl RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
Oct 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 3, 2008 7:00 PM

Donating blood

Ok, I'm due.  I need to donate blood.  Why?  Because I can and I should.

After donating blood, I will not run for at least 2 days.  Obviously the O2 carriers are on the rebound so the body will need to rest a bit.... thus I'll cut back on effort for a little while.  But how long? 

Suggestions?  Experiences to share?

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    1. Jun 3, 2008 7:09 PM (in response to RunnerWags)
    Re: Donating blood

Len has some good info on this.

I am a very strong believer in giving blood regularly, but after an experience last year I probably wouldn't donate during marathon training again. Last year I gave blood, took a day or two off and had a HARD time coming back. As I said, Len has better details than I do, but when I talked about my difficulties on the board, I was astounded by how far back I'd set myself... was it 30 days to being 100%? It took me at least the better part of the week to feel normal again and there was one time in that week I tried 6 miles (easy at that point in training), I had to walk home after 2 miles and I ended up puking in a bush, it was aweful. 

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jun 3, 2008 8:57 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

Oddly, I remember the bush-puking incident, but had forgotten it was blood-donation related. I would have said that Nita was the one who'd donated blood and then tried to run. But she was the one who ate, like, extreme fire-nacho doritos and chili and then tried to run.

On second thought, of course it was you who couldn't understand why she couldn't run 9 miles uphill on sheer force of will. (and I mean that as a fierce compliment, make no mistake!)

As for my experience on the matter, don't have any. They pretty much don't want my blood.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    4. Jun 4, 2008 4:38 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

I donate blood fairly regularly also, however if my weekly mileage is above 20 i dont donate. its not even just the hemoglobin factor its the whole iron and volume loss. it only takes a few hours to replace the volume but what it does to my endurence is incredible. i feel like a complete slug- like im running in water. marathon training is harde enough, wait till its over and you have recovered.

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    5. Jun 4, 2008 6:21 AM (in response to kmagaleski)

I've never donated while marathon training however, I do try and donate at least once a year.  What I like the most about donating blood it's that it only takes a couple of beers to get buzzed...:D

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    6. Jun 4, 2008 6:26 AM (in response to kmagaleski)

"It depends " remains a good answer.  A friend has a baseline hemoglobin consistently above 18, helping make him a great 5k runner but probably making his blood a bit too thick for optimal running on a long, warm weather run, especially given his dramatic drop in performance for a warm spring or fall marathon compared to a cooler event.  Someone in his shoes may run better in a marathon a few days after donation than before.  Some of us are more like 13 on a good day, reducing potential oxygen delivery per volume of blood, less likely to sludge on a hot day but even with adequate iron stores needing 10-14 days or more to break even after donating.  Within hours of donating, most people have replaced the fluid volume but not the red cells; they can run but significantly slower.........

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,324 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jun 4, 2008 7:04 AM (in response to Immer treu)

It does vary person-to-person.  It will take about 24 hours to replace the fluid but the hemoglobin/red cells take a few weeks (typically 4 weeks for red cells, 8 weeks for  the iron).  And those are the O2 carriers.  Proper diet helps but it still takes time.  I have run a pretty good race (up to 10 miles) about 2 weeks after donating.   I'm usually good for all but the very longest runs within a couple weeks.  If you want to do it, do it now instead of waiting until early October like somebody did last year.

Len

• E1vis Pro 152 posts since
    May 20, 2008
    8. Jun 4, 2008 7:05 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

I've got experience doing this. During college and even last year. I did not do it during my marathon training though. NOOOOO. I was smaat... I waited and did it during my taper before the marathon. 3 days prior. OOF. that hurt like **** at 21 mile mark.

As far doing it during college, I had to run every day and the school, highly encouraged blood drives and participation. there was very little side effect probably cause i kept my runs short, 4 - 6 miles on these days, but I would run them kind of hard.

truth is it really depends on how you feel. Heck that goes for even when you haven't donated. If feel tired, I am probably not going to run very hard or far, if at all.

Do it... Someone needs it, and you can make more. Look at it as a penance you are giving your body for not responding to you positively on one of your prior runs. Teach it a lesson about who's in charge.

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    9. Jun 4, 2008 7:18 AM (in response to E1vis)

Mike is back again!! Having trouble remembering your log ons??

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
    May 20, 2008
    10. Jun 4, 2008 7:22 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Myblueeyedgurl wrote:

Having trouble remembering your log ons??

hahaha smarty.  You bet it is confusing.  between this and the one other site I frequent, my Elvis variants have had me very confused.  I must have 100 email accounts and only know UN and PW for 2.

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    11. Jun 4, 2008 7:22 AM (in response to E1vis)

E1vis wrote:

I've got experience doing this. During college and even last year. I did not do it during my marathon training though. NOOOOO. I was smaat... I waited and did it during my taper before the marathon. 3 days prior. OOF. that hurt like **** at 21 mile mark.

Yeah, I remember that.  That was crazy.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

May 20, 2008
    12. Jun 4, 2008 7:25 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    lenzlaw wrote:

If you want to do it, do it now instead of waiting until early October like somebody did last year.

That guy sure was an idiot huh Len. I missed your post in my reply, but essentially you have confirmed what I have experienced as well. Do it now, and shorter runs will not be such a problem

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    13. Jun 4, 2008 7:24 AM (in response to E1vis)

Well at least you have personalized this one a little. If we had those extended logons, maybe you wouldn't have this problem.

We have missed your videos! LOL

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
    May 20, 2008
    14. Jun 4, 2008 7:28 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Good, I've been busy searching for new stuff.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points