Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1056 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 5, 2008 12:15 PM by Jay Silvio
skullengine Rookie 13 posts since
Aug 14, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2008 6:47 AM

Return to training after surgeries?

Hi, all.  Need some training advice.

I was a regular runner (15-ish miles a week) two years ago, but then developed problems with my feet and had to have surgeries on both of them for neuromas (one foot also had a metatarsal shortening.) The result of the surgeries was that in my right foot I have slightly reduced range of motion when flexing my toes, and in my left foot I have either a remaining neuroma or some scar tissue that hurts unless I tape it before I run. When I tape it, I have no problems unless I overdo it.

Before the foot issues, I had been enjoying a nice 3 miles a day but I think I hurt myself because I tried to advance too quickly.  I want to get back up to about 3 miles a day, no racing, but I don't know the best way to go about it.  I don't want to jar my feet too much, but I don't want to do 1-minute jogging intervals for the next 6 months either if I don't have to.  My breath is fine for a couple miles since I've been doing low-impact aerobics in the meantime.

How should I approach this?  Thanks in advance.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 5, 2008 12:15 PM (in response to skullengine)
    Re: Return to training after surgeries?

It sounds like you know to take it easy and not push yourself.  If you feel like you can do two miles a day then you could start there.  If not, I hear that a lot of folks have success with the "Couch To 5K" (C25K) program.  Whatever you decide, build mileage slowly by adding no more than 10% per week and take a recovery week each month where you run only 75% of your normal mileage and all of it at an easy pace.  I would also recommend that you integrate a decent amount of cross-training such as swimming, biking, or elliptical training (my personal favorite) to build your fitness while reducing the pounding on your legs in order to minimize injuries.  Let us know if you have any more questions or comments.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points