Skip navigation

11227 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2008 9:34 AM by Myblueeyedgurl RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
Nov 19, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 10, 2008 7:14 AM

Calcium Question

I know our resident nutrionist is a busy little beaver these days, but maybe someone else can help. I've been thinking of cutting out red meat and dairy all together.  I'll still get my protein from seafood and the occasional chicken, but is taking Vitamin D and calcium supplements good enough to cover the dairy loss? I thought I would try something new this summer, since last summers plan didn't pan out so well.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    1. Jun 10, 2008 7:23 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)
    Re: Calcium Question

Lots of folks do pretty well apparently.  Recent recommendations increased the amount of Vit D to at least 700-800 IU daily for most people; here's a fed sheet

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jun 10, 2008 7:32 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Hmmmmm! I've actually been pondering the calcium question myself lately, so I'm glad you brought this up. (I've been wondering if my vast array of non-running-related health issues helped contribute to my stress fractures, since some of them involve "may cause bone loss in later years.")

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Jun 10, 2008 7:41 AM (in response to thefirecat)

For all it's worth, I have taken calcium for years one 600mg in the am and one in the pm.  Had 2 bone scans ( 3 years apart) and I had no bone loss between those and according to the results I have the bones of a 20-year old (the only 20-year old parts of my body).  Also have taken vit D for a long time.

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jun 10, 2008 7:48 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Check out the "more like this" thread on the left of How do Vegans get enough Calcium?    You can get calcium enriched OJ these days. Also soy milk w/ calcium.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jun 10, 2008 8:04 AM (in response to dutch omi)
    dutch omi wrote:

For all it's worth, I have taken calcium for years one 600mg in the am and one in the pm.  Had 2 bone scans ( 3 years apart) and I had no bone loss between those and according to the results I have the bones of a 20-year old (the only 20-year old parts of my body).  Also have taken vit D for a long time.

Wow. Go you!

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jun 10, 2008 9:02 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)
    Myblueeyedgurl wrote:

I thought I would try something new this summer, since last summers plan didn't pan out so well.

If Scott Jurek can run 10-12 ultras each year on a vegan diet, there are ways to get your body what it needs.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Athletes%26Events/Scott+Jurek/

I don't eat red meat and I try and limit my dairy (other than fat-free yogurt) so I take a daily multi-vitamin.

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    10. Jun 10, 2008 9:33 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

I'm going to be controversial here... but I believe the calcium issue is primarily hormonal and physiological and not necessarily nutritional.  Calcitonin works in tandem as a tug-o-war w/the parathyroid gland to regulate calcium absorption.  The bone strength isn't simply from calcium but really from stress.  The less active you are, the less bone density you have.  Thus, active runners likely have very good bones.  Additionally, calcium supplements might not be all they're cracked up to be. 

Then again, I'm thinking back 20+ years from Anatomy & Physiology and I'm a CPA doing taxes now.  But I'm certain on the hormonal relationship and the bone-density/activity correlation.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    11. Jun 10, 2008 10:01 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

Bone given sufficient nutrients and hormonal support has long been known to gain strength in response to applied, controlled loading, such as weight-bearing exercise within the tolerance of the existing structure, one theory being that the loading generates a slight difference in electrical charge separation in the more loaded areas compared to the less loaded ones , a "piezoelectric effect" demonstrable in dry bone but harder to measure in living tissue but certainly plausible, with the orientation of bone structure growth in such areas making such loads easier to bear. Weightlessness on space missions and immobility here both lead to loss of such strength, and injury requires remodeling under appropriately oriented stresses to restore such strength. Bone density alone is a shakier marker for bone health, definitely correlated in most healthy people but not necessarily, with the denser, weaker bone sometimes seen when people tried large doses of fluoride to strengthen bone in years past or in congenital bone disorders, such as osteopetrosis. Women athletes training to the point of amenorrhea clearly lose bone density, even in well-stressed areas, and major nutritional problems in men or women can overcome any benefits of training. There is more and more evidence that NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, etc., may interfere with healing after acute injury. Anyway, bone health probably is less "either or" than "both and," with lots of things at play.

• Will_Brown Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 6, 2008
    13. Jun 10, 2008 12:19 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

A lot of people take Tums as a calcium supplement. Rolaids is better because it has magnesium as well. I also think they taste better. I take two of the Extra variety daily.

Will

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    14. Jun 10, 2008 12:26 PM (in response to Will_Brown)

Holly, we have a faculty member who is a vegan Boston marathoner.

I think it's good that you're thinking of nutritional implications... I had a roommate once who was a vegetarian for health reasons ("red meat is SO bad for you, it has, like, tons of fat and hormones and stuff") only to eat a diet of almost exclusively junk food. She was puzzled as to why she gained weight as a vegetarian- seriously.

I guess bottom line is if you're doing it for ethical reasons then thinking supplements may be good but if you're doing it for health benefits than maybe it wouldn't hurt to keep your dietary options open. 

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points