Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2199 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2008 2:27 AM by Alistair B RSS
Alistair B Rookie 62 posts since
Jun 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2008 2:50 AM

diet plan for a beginning runner?

Hi all

I've just started running (and cycling again) after  a long period of being fairly inactive and i'm wondering how i should structure meals on training days and recovery days.

first the metrics:

I'm 32, male, 5'6" and about 200lbs - initially i'm aiming to lose about 25 of those by october and trade in for some lean muscle.

my current exercise regime is the C25K plan, with extra cycling (usually to work about once a week, 25 mins each way) and some morning exercises like push-ups for about 10-15 mins.

I did a quick estimate of my calorie intake yesterday:

• usual breakfast - bowl of porrige OR bowl of bran flakes (1% milk)  OR cereal bar if i'm in a rush - 120 to 200 cals

• snack - single bag of doritos (40 g) 200 cals

• lunch - Ham  salad baguette - about 450-500 cals (i think i overestimated the size of the ham portion calories for that one)

• evening meal - roasted duck with steamed broccoli cauliflower leek and cabbage - high estimate of 800 - 900 cals (not a typical meal though!)

• sundries through day - a couple of cups of coffee milk, 1 brown sugar - 150 cals (very guestimate there) and lots of water

That's a fairly typical weekday setup. I'm not really a snacker and the evening meal can vary wildly from quite small to quite large.

that totals out to around 2000 cals (a bit under or over dependant on the options)

what changes should I make for workout days and recovery days? my main aim is weightloss, but i don't want to under eat on training days etc

Thanks!

Alistair

• KelS135 Rookie 8 posts since
    Jun 30, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 30, 2008 6:03 PM (in response to Alistair B)
    Re: diet plan for a beginning runner?

You'll need more carbs for energy, so eat more whole grains.  Those are also a good source of fiber, as are fruit and vegetables like apples and cucumbers and such.  Also, eating dairy and lean protein like chicken and fish will give you the protein thats needed to help muscles recover.  As a general rule, you should eat more carbs than protein, especially on training days.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...