Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2354 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2008 6:16 AM by dbernicky RSS
gettinthere037 Rookie 7 posts since
Sep 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2008 10:19 AM

mph or minutes/mile?

Hi,

as mentioned in

Common running surfaces (Common running surfaces)

and

Running items with limited lifespan? (Running items with limited lifespan?)

I'm working on a running log. I have noticed elsewhere that sometimes the speed is measured in mph (or km/h) rather than minutes/mile (minutes/km) which I find an awful lot more natural. Am I alone in this preference or? Personally I don't have a clue as to what speed 5mph, 10mph or 15mph represent... while at the same time I can go out anytime and run at perfect 7 minutes/mile or 8 minutes/mile pace.

I would be very much to hear from ANYONE about how comfortable they feel with expressing pace in mph and minutes/mile.

Many Thanks! 

, I'm writing a web application that is some kind of running log.

• azazello Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 11, 2008
    1. Jun 13, 2008 11:17 AM (in response to gettinthere037)
    Re: mph or minutes/mile?

Defo minute/ mile (min/km is even better, but that's just because I live in Europe). Regular speed (km/h) might be interesting, but other than that I think it is completely useless as far as logging and analysing your running goes.

Good luck with your project. Actually, we have a pretty cool website in Hungarian that combines personal workout logs (that can be browsed by other registered users) with a message board and sport news and articles. If you are interested, I'd be happy to put you through with the webmaster (no English version is available yet though). 

• azazello Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 11, 2008
    3. Jun 14, 2008 4:33 AM (in response to gettinthere037)

The URL is www.edzesonline.hu (stands for trainingonline.com)

on the left menu you'll find the following:

• news

• articles

• training programs

• event calendar

• training list (of users)

• blogs

• pic gallery

• calculator (bmi and so forth)

• message board

• clubs

you can browse pretty much anything unregistered save for detailed personal trainig logs

let me know if you need more hel

Levente

• ottotheorange Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    4. Jun 19, 2008 8:20 AM (in response to gettinthere037)

I have found that when I run outside on a track, trail, or during an event I usually "log" my run as minutes/mile or minutes/km because that is the information that is readily available to me - mile markers and my watch. When I run inside, on a treadmill, the information readily available to the user is miles/hour.

To your question about preference, I guess it just depends upon time of year. The information is easy to translate between the two methods, so it is really all dependant on you, the designer, and your preferences

Good luck!

• dbernicky Rookie 13 posts since
    Feb 23, 2006
    5. Aug 13, 2008 6:16 AM (in response to gettinthere037)

It comes down to knowing your pace and minutes/distance is a better gauge to use if you are looking for patterns and where to improve. Knowing for instance that you run a 4:15 pace per kilometer (6:50 per mile) is useful because it provides you with more useable information.  If you keep a pace of 7.84 miles per hour can you do a quick calculation based on the number of miles left in a race how much you will have to increase your speed to reach your goal pace by the end of the race? Knowing minutes/distance makes the calculation while running much easier. Personally I know exactly how long it took me to run my last race and what my pace per kilometer was but I have no idea what the KPH was.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...