Skip navigation

92334 Views 678 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2008 4:28 PM by Immer treu RSS 1 2 3 ... 46 Previous Next
KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
Jan 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2008 8:39 AM

Long Run Updates (Version 2008)

Hi Everyone,

As many of you remember from last year, we started a thread dedicated specifically to comments on our weekly long runs.  I know that it was a consistent source of motivation for me, and the requisite deviations off topic were often hilarious. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to bring it back as we start getting into our training for this year's MCM.  Though there are several definitions for what qualifies as a long run, for our purposes I'd like to keep it pretty broad.  So let's just go with whatever your longest run was for the week, regardless of distance.  If that run happened to be a race, feel free to include it, though I think races certainly warrant their own thread. So here goes my report.

My program called for 13 miles at planned marathon pace plus 30 seconds.  That worked out to a 9:00 mile pace.  I got all of my stuff together last night,  went to bed at 9:45 and got up just after 3:00 AM.  I got a good stretch in, downed a Clif bar and half a bagel and chased it with about 12 ounces of Cytomax.  I had a full Camelbak chilling in the refrigerator from last night.  It felt good against my back when I put in on.  When I started off at 4:03 AM, it was 80 degrees.  I wanted to find out a few things on this long run.  First, how long would my drink last if I took four good swallows every mile?  Second, how easy would it be to eat a cut up Clif bar vs. Clif shots and sports beans (which always got stuck in my teeth last year)?  Third, how closely could I stick to my 9:00 pace with each passing mile?

This was the first time I have run with a full Camelbak in quite a long time, so I wasn't too interested in running my first mile at 9:00.  I just took what felt comfortable and wound up doing it in an easy 9:19.  Then I settled into a nice rhythm and ran the next 9 miles between 8:51 and 8:58.  The sun came up and 5:19 AM.  By then I had completed about 8.5 miles.  There was still plenty of shade, so even though things were getting a little more challenging, I still felt like I was in good shape.  The 11th mile turned out to be my gut check mile.  I ran a 9:04 split, which was my slowest since the warm up mile.  So I took another couple swallows of Cytomax (which was still surprisingly cool) and beared down for the last two miles.  I got back on track on mile 12, (8:54) and then brought it in with a final mile run in 8:33.  After tacking on the extra tenth of a mile for an "even half marathon" my total time was 1:57:07.  That worked out to an 8:56 min/mile pace.

So here is what I found out: 1.) Four good swigs of Cytomax every mile might be a little bit too much.  I felt plenty hydrated drinking that amount.  In fact, I was getting close to feeling a little bloated, so I cut back to 2-3 swallows after about 6 miles.  I only had a couple ounces left when I finished.  I think next time I will see how long just 3 regular mouthfuls will last.  2.) The cut up Clif Bar worked out okay, except that one time I dropped the ziploc bag.  Of course, this time I had the luxury of stopping and picking it up.  If that happened in the race, I'd just have to kiss it good bye.  That might be reason enough to carry a spare.  Though the Clif bars taste pretty good, I have to make sure and wash them down really good because they are a little bit on the dry side.  3.) I was happy with how I was able to hold a consistent pace with each mile, especially as it warmed up a little bit.  My goal during this training season is to stick to the plan on the long run regarding the pace all the way up to the last mile and then use whatever I have left in the tank to bring it on home.  I am really working hard on maintaining that discipline I will need on race day to stick with my race strategy.

So all in all, this was a good first week.  No doubt there will be tough and challenging days throughout my training, but any day I learn something is a good day. That's what the training is all about.  So let's hear from everyone else.  How did your long run go this week?  What were the key takeaways? Let's share our experiences and learn from each other so we can get to the starting line on Oct. 26th and give it our best effort.  I look forward to hearing from you all.  Happy Father's Day to all the dads. I have a nice day planned with Winnie and the kids. Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Jun 15, 2008 8:28 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)
    Re: Long Run Updates (Version 2008)

Karl,

Thank you so much for bringing back everyone's favorite thread!  I was actually thinking about this earlier in the week.  Although I won't be contributing any stories myself, I really enjoy reading about everyone else's runs, and I find that it's a great way to learn things from other runners.  Congrats on a great run!

Lauren

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    2. Jun 15, 2008 8:53 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

I just returned from my  long run for the week as well.  My training plan doesn't start for another week, but I am maintaining  the starting baseline of 18 to 20 miles/week. I put in 8 miles this morning along the C&O Canal starting at Point of Rocks and headed nrth towards Harpers Ferry. My sleep was not the best as my wife was called in to work at the hospital at 1 am and I stayed awake for a while after the phone had woken us up. I was excited to run and that did not help. 8 is the longest I have done since my achilles injury.

With a later start and humidity levels already rising; I decided to keep my mileage to 8 miles rather than 9 or more, but I kept my average pace under 10mph. I am slow, so this was good for me. No achilles pain, actually no pain at all, just feeling the heat a bit. I carry a Camelbak hip pack. I was very happy to be carrying it! I really want to stop worrying about my pace, and just feel good about completing the distance. I'm getting better. I finished the run in 1:18:22 (love my Garmin) and was pleased with my outing. It didn't kill me, therefor I am stronger.

The Canal is alomost completely leafed over, so it shades you from the sun. Unfortunately, it also tends to hold the humidity. The trail is packed dirt, so easy on the knees. Plenty of wildlife and  beautiful scenery to keep your mind occupied. Spots of open canopy made for some hot spots, but these were few and far between.

I am happy to see this great thread, thanks Karl. I'll look forward to reading about everyone's long run adventures to keep me motivated. Happy Father's Day to all the Dads. Going to take my boys to the pool.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jun 15, 2008 9:28 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

I managed 12 miles yesterday morning and it was my typical lesson in how not to do it.  I got started a little late (7:30), it was mid 70s and humid, and on the second of two 6-mile laps the sun was out a lot more.  Then I ran the first lap too fast, though I'm not sure how fast because I left my watch in the car.  So lap two had three strikes before even starting.  But I got it done, then ran a 5K this morning.

Karl, it looks like you're working hard on a sub-4.  Keep up the good work.

Kris, sometimes the hardest part is running after an injury.  You keep thinking about it and dreading the pain might return.

Lauren, we'll miss you running, but hopefully you'll be holding the sign at the bridge.  Are you still on schedule for the tri in August?

Len

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Jun 15, 2008 9:33 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

Just came upstairs for running 10 miles on the treadmill and walking 1 mile.  I ran 8 miles at 5.8mph on a 1 incline and 2 miles at 6mph on 0 incline.  For a change it was an easy run, I've had some real difficult runs lately, so today was a pleasure.  I run most of my runs on the treadmill since I have a very hard time with heat and the treadmill is easier on my knees.  I drank about 16 ozs of water and had coffee, a piece of toast with cheese and a piece of toast with honey about 45 min. before I started.  Stretched well before and after and feel great right now (a new feeling this week).  Thanks for starting this thread again Karl.  And Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there.  It's great for your kids that you set such an example of how to live the fit way.

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    8. Jun 15, 2008 9:58 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Len,

I was looking at tri training plans last night, and I think I might be out.  I always thought I would be easily swimming and biking at this point in the recovery process.  I can't get in the pool because of the stitches (I'm still surgically taped together, gauzed, and then ace bandage over the entire shin/calf area).  I'm on the exercise bike three days a week, but I can only go for 10 to 15 minutes.  I'm also doing ten minutes on the treadmill three times a week, but my max speed is 1.0 mph.  I'm so out of shape that it gets my heart rate up to between 120 and 140.  I'm still supposed to have my leg elevated and the ankle iced 24/7.  On the bright side, today is my third day without crutches.  My main focus currently is not feeling sorry for myself.  From the contents of this post, I'm not sure how I'm doing with that assignment.  I'm sure it will get better in the next week or two, but I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.

My three week follow-up appt with the doc is Wednesday, so I'm hoping for some insight from him on where to go from here.  That is enough whining for now. 

Lauren

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Lauren, the most important thing is doing the recovery right.  Hard to swallow, I'll bet, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  The one thing I remember from that other thread (don't know if you read it) was that *everybody came back 100% *by doing the recovery as ordered. Hang in there.

Len

Len

Jan 19, 2008

Lauren, first of all we're here to hear you whine, if you can't whine with us, where are you going to get rid of that feeling.  I know it stinks that recovery stuff, but we all know, you're going to come back better than ever, it just takes time and that's the hard part.  Maybe if you just look at how far you've come since your surgery you might feel better.  Hang in there, it will get better.

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008

Lauren, I'm a recovery room nurse with a lot of sports medicine background. I'll tell you what I tell my patients who start talking about being anxious to get back in the mix of whatever sport ails them. It's like the old commercial "You can pay me now or pay me later". Do your time in recovery purgatory and come back strong. set small goals that will give you immediate satisfaction of completeion. If you push to quick be wishing  for that next tri or race for a ot longer than you need. You'll get there. We can celebrate your accomplishments of progress as much as we celebrate those of others who complete another race. Good job on the bike! soon you'll look back on that benchmark from a loftier goal!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jun 15, 2008 12:33 PM (in response to KrisMCM)

As posted elsewhere I did 14.3 miles yesterday, but I get to add 3 hours of dancing last night!

Chocolate is very nice.
    Jan 19, 2008

Sounds like you almost did a full marathon Lee. Hope the dancing was fun.

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jun 15, 2008 2:21 PM (in response to dutch omi)

The dancing was excellent ! 

Chocolate is very nice.
1 2 3 ... 46 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...