Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10898 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2008 11:34 AM by Jen Topper Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Just-Jean Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 24, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 24, 2008 5:33 AM (in response to twins0302)
    Re: too soon to run a 1/2 marathon?

Hi!

I too think you can do it! You have lots of time to train and you can always walk/run a bit if things get rough! Everyone has to start somewhere and by completing your first 1/2 marathon, you will have a starting point to improve on!

I have begun training for a half/marathon also - only started getting serious about running again after  a few years break this April. Did a 10km on June 2 in Dublin and will do a 10km road race next week. Our half marathon (Ireland) is in September..with the full marathon in Oct, which I will not be trying this year! Next year!!

Best of luck!

Jean

• Andrew Zuber Amateur 16 posts since
    Jun 9, 2008
    16. Jun 24, 2008 9:43 AM (in response to jhauser42)

depends on person really. I hadnt done nay running for like 2-3 months, and i get off my butt and do a 12 mile run. You may need to practice, but it depends on your mental strength and how hard you cna push yourself. Not good wth advice lol. But i would try to get atleast a few 12 mile+ runs in before the actual race to see how you far.

• Jen Topper Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 24, 2008
    17. Jun 24, 2008 1:27 PM (in response to twins0302)

Which 1/2 marathon are you running?  I'm also training for a 1/2 marathon on OCT 11 and am coming off from a break.  Just had a baby and starting to get back into running.   Good luck...I'm sure you can do it!

Jun 24, 2008
    19. Jun 25, 2008 6:00 AM (in response to twins0302)

WOW!!  15 month old twins...I can't imagine.  Must be lots of fun.  I have a 3 month old and a 6 yr old.  After my 1st was born I ran the Philly 1/2 so I thought I would try again to help lose that extra weight.  I'm running the Baltimore 1/2 marathon.  Best of luck with training!!

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    20. Jun 25, 2008 8:12 AM (in response to Jen Topper)
    Jen Topper wrote:

I'm running the Baltimore 1/2 marathon.

Jen,

Welcome to active.com!  I'll be running the full at Baltimore; I hope I'll see you there.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

Jun 24, 2008
    21. Jun 25, 2008 11:34 AM (in response to Jay Silvio)

Jay- thanks so much!  Good luck running the FULL.  I was tempted to run the full but have been out of it for 2 years.  My last marathon was the MCM....loved it!  I'll look for you on the streets in Frederick while I train. Best of luck!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...