Skip navigation

9707 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2008 7:18 PM by lenzlaw RSS 1 2 Previous Next
RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
Oct 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2008 6:38 PM

Performance drinks

What are your preferences and why? 

I've used Accelerade (power).  A little too chalky and it seems difficult to disolve.  And it's nasty in a Camelbak since it's too hard to clean.  Yesterday I bought some Cytomax.  Since I have yet to use this for a LSD, etc., I still have yet to evaluate the product.  Of course, these things seem to offer 'negative assurance' since there is no bench-mark as to how sore you normally would be, etc.

I've reverted to saving old Propel bottles and mixing either powdered mixes to keep in a cooler or the fridge after a run.  Yesterday I did a good 11 miles followed by 9 innings of baseball... And believe, me, the start/stop motions of baseball are far less rhythmyc than running and you use many other muscle groups.  And the heat certainly didn't help.

Thoughts on your preferences?

BTW, after a LSD, I usually down a nice chilled Slimfast.  I'll get the high-protein version for before a long race (10 miles +) as well.

• KrisMCM Pro 137 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    1. Jun 15, 2008 6:58 PM (in response to RunnerWags)
    Re: Performance drinks

I was not that happy with accelerade either. To be honest, after all the reading I have done on the drinks, I think I am just happy with Gatorade. As good as the other drinks sound, they also seem cost prohibitive to me. Each has it's pros and cons. For runs of 10 miles or more I also drink down orange Pedialyte that is ice cold along with the Gatorade.

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    2. Jun 15, 2008 7:14 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

Propel for me. It never comes out as well when I try to mix it myself though, so I buy the bottles. G2 is good too. In a long race, they never have either, so I hope for Gatorade. There are a couple that they'll use at a race that I just find disgusting; I believe Accelerade is one of them.

• E1vis Pro 152 posts since
    May 20, 2008
    3. Jun 15, 2008 7:43 PM (in response to Courir26)

I am assuming you are using your camel back for running. I use one for biking and the set up is like this. Camelback is for water mostly because of the cleaning issue. In my 2 bike bottles I carry endurox4 fruit tasting. It does mix better than accelerade and taste less chalky. Cytomax taste even better but I get the feeling it is too sugary.

All these drinks and supplements are kind of funny because they are based on individuals. I sweat heavy and REAL salty... That is why for long rides (like today 85 bike/ 5run) I just go ahead and drink the recovery beverage. I hate feeling bonked and tired so I may over kill it. Often times on shorter runs or rides (2hours or less) I will go with plain Gatorade.

BTW, I just bought my Camelback Lobo and love it. I didn't even have to make a store stop today... Of course there is a house in the area that puts out a 5gallon cooler of ice water for the local cyclist, and I did use that to refill the 2 bottles.

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    4. Jun 15, 2008 8:23 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

I use Acclerade and Cytomax, but prefer the Cytomax.  The reason I bought Acclerade was because the store I go to was out of Cytomax.  Now I just get it online.  You can usually find a good deal somewhere.  The Accelerade actually seemed to make me thirsty, if you can believe that.   I like the Cytomax Peach and also the Citrus flavor. The big difference between these two drinks and the ones like Powerade and Gatorade is that in addition to the electrolytes, they have a specific ratio of carbs to protein (as is the case with Accelerade) or amino acids (Cytomax) that help improve endurance and recovery.  I agree that it is an individual thing.  I used Cytomax in last years MCM and felt that it benefited me far greater than the Powerade I used the previous year. I will be going with it again this year, especially since I found two flavors that taste pretty good. The Orange flavor was okay, but the other two I mentioned are much better.  I also use a Camelbak.  They really aren't that tough to clean as long as you have one of the long pipe cleaner gizmos that they sell to flush out the tube.  Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    5. Jun 15, 2008 9:16 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

I have used Gatorade, Powerade, and Cytomax.

Gatorade has the best flavors . . . it seems to do okay at maintaining electrolytes.  I have heard a couple of runners recommend a Slimfast after a long run, and I am intrigued at the prospect.  Have not tried it yet.

• spanishanne Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 18, 2007
    6. Jun 16, 2008 1:26 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

I use Emergen-C it a more natural way of getting your fuel up. I also think its best to stay away from corn syrup. A good recovery drink Silk choclate milk. You will save money too.

• kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    7. Jun 16, 2008 2:53 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

I like propel- pricey but good and i use carnation instant breakfast for after the real long runs- thats what we encourage our wound care patients to drink to up their healing abilities- I find it more palatable than the other protein drinks- and i get my milk in.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,326 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Jun 16, 2008 6:34 AM (in response to kmagaleski)

I use Gatorade mostly because it's readily available while I have to hunt for the rest (and pay more). Several of the drinks give me "dry-mouth", including the "Tiger" Gatorade I bought. I'm not sure why that happens but it doesn't bother me once I adjust to the idea. I haven't found any advantage to one over the other.

Len

• E1vis Pro 152 posts since
    May 20, 2008
    9. Jun 16, 2008 8:08 AM (in response to Steelers21)

Steelers21 wrote:

I have used Gatorade, Powerade, and Cytomax.

Gatorade has the best flavors . . . it seems to do okay at maintaining electrolytes. I have heard a couple of runners recommend a Slimfast after a long run, and I am intrigued at the prospect. Have not tried it yet.

I've done the slimfast after long runs and long bike rides.  Worked fine but I don't like it too much, probably because I didn't placed them in a cooler and by noon they were pretty warm.

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    11. Jun 16, 2008 10:41 AM (in response to kmagaleski)

marathoner06 wrote:

I like propel- pricey but good and i use carnation instant breakfast for after the real long runs- thats what we encourage our wound care patients to drink to up their healing abilities- I find it more palatable than the other protein drinks- and i get my milk in.

Carnation instant breakfast.  Had not thought of that.  You guys are full of . . . good ideas, for heaven's sake.

• Will_Brown Pro 62 posts since
    Mar 6, 2008
    12. Jun 16, 2008 10:58 AM (in response to Steelers21)

I use plain water with electrolyte caps in the summer.  The other stuff doesn't have enough sodium no matter how they hype it. If it did it would taste too salty. I carry one 20 oz bottle with plenty of ice to start with. I refill at parks and fire stations (after asking permission). They all have a cooler in the engine bay. Gatorbarf also doesn't have enough calories to fuel you on a long run. My current favorite is Special K protein bars . Two of those get me through a 3 to 4 hour training run.  I use Ensure High Protein after a long run. Ensure reformulated the taste a while back and it's much better.

Will

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Jun 16, 2008 11:08 AM (in response to Will_Brown)

The biggest lesson I learned during my first two marathons is to find out what they're serving on course and train with it (unless you're running 26.2 with your own supply).  My first marathon had accelerade which I'd never tasted before.  It made me thirsty (as several others have mentioned), and I thought it tasted like crap.  They had made it from the powder, and from one water stop to the next, you could end of with almost all powder or mainly water.  Dreadful experience.  My second marathon was the MCM.  Race day was the first time I'd ever had Powerade in lemon lime.  Hated the stuff.  Last training season I switched to powerade just so I wouldn't be miserable on race day.  I still hate the lemon lime powerade, but I have no desire to run a marathon with a fuel belt.

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jun 16, 2008 11:31 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

I've tried Cytomax and Accelerade and they are both okay.  Honestly, when I am out for a long, long run, I stop at gas stations/mini marts/lemonade stands.  I'll drink whatever.  The one thing that really bothers me, though is when you drink a sports drink on a race course that has not been mixed properly.  This is especially true, if it is too concentrated.  I'll dilute it down if necessary, but what a pain.

I will run for cupcakes!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...