Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1543 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 18, 2008 9:51 AM by RunningPT RSS
reenie000 Rookie 9 posts since
Feb 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 16, 2008 1:43 PM

Sore throat after long runs

I'm training for a half marathon and have noticed that when I bump up my milage I end up with a sore throat the next day.  The last time this happened a few weeks ago, I ended up with a cold overnight that lasted a week.  Does anyone else have this happen during their training?

• RunningPT Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 19, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 18, 2008 9:51 AM (in response to reenie000)
    Re: Sore throat after long runs

You are probably overtraining. Without knowing all your symptoms, previous running history, and current running plan, it hard to say for sure. But a sore throat and a cold after long runs tells me that your immune system is suppressed from the stress your body is feeling from the training. What is your current mileage? When is your 1/2 marathon?

What's your nutrition and hydration levels? Running is not as natural an activity for the body as walking is. We are designed to walk, not run. So the body needs to adapt both biomechanically and physiologically or else it rejects the whole idea. Immune system compromise is nothing to mess with. Your body is screaming out for a rest and a return to some kind of homeostasis.

Let me know more about those questions above and we'll go from there.

Peter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...