Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1642 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2008 7:48 AM by voodoo78
voodoo78 Rookie 3 posts since
May 12, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2008 7:48 AM

oh, fantastic chest congestion...

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had some advice about chest congestion. At the beginning of last week, I thought my allergies were just worse than usual thanks to the heat wave in Boston and very high levels of pollen in the air. I ran as I normally do in terms of time/distance (50-60 minutes during the week, 70-80 on Sundays so about 30-35 miles per week) , but I ran early in the morning to avoid the heat as much as possible. By Thursday, though, I was coughing and felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest and my head was going to explode! I took Thursday off and took some cold & allergy and cough medicine in hopes that it would clear up...and then tried running on Friday. I went slowly, but had to stop twice before stopping altogether after 40 minutes because I couldn't breathe.

I haven't run since then and most of the symptoms have cleared up -- except this wheezing in my lungs. I'm not coughing as much or as hard as I was, but it's still there. My question is whether I should give myself more time off or try for a short run -- it rained here last night and will rain again this afternoon, which really makes the air nice for a run at this time of year, and I hate to pass it up. And I hate not running in general! But I don't want to end up doing more damage to my lungs. I'm planning to run a 10k mid-summer, and it's driving me crazy to lose this training time!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also take power yoga, though I haven't done that either because I don't know if the strain and the heat will help or hurt!

Many thanks,

Kate

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...