Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1700 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 19, 2008 8:21 AM by Rocky32189 RSS
JOHN5364 Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2008 8:13 AM

Anyone else with this prob???

Hey.....i'm going into my sophmore year of hs and I run xc and track. I really enjoy running and when healthy I can run pretty fast times. The problem is staying healthy. I do everything I can to stay healthy and injury free ( stretching, iceing, using the stick). I have a problem, after about 3-4 weeks of  distance training I feel the "bad pain" of running  all over my legs when I finish my daily running. After a while it gets really intense so I can hardly walk when I get home from practice. And after another month it increases to pain that makes running unbearable without taking painkillers 24/7 and slows down my times a lot. So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that could help me or anyone else had this problem. I would really like to continue distance running but it seems pointless if I can't go a month without hurting myself.ANY SUGGESTIONS?

• Rocky32189 Rookie 33 posts since
    Jun 11, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jun 19, 2008 8:21 AM (in response to JOHN5364)
    Re: Anyone else with this prob???

Yes, I had the same problems when I ran Cross Country in high school.

You are increasing your mileage too fast, not allowing your body to adjust, and are not giving yourself sufficient rest. Some people are more prone to injury than others; you as well as myself are two of those people.

I'm sure you have an idea what type of weekly mileage you'll be doing when cross country practice begins.  Use the summer to build up to this level slowly. Give yourself more rest than you think you need. Continue stretching and iceing your legs even on days you don't run.

I would also run a few 5K's or 5 milers to get body used to racing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points