Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3832 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2008 11:23 AM by Coach40490
PHL_Baseball Community Moderator 44 posts since
May 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2008 10:16 PM

Too experienced a Coach?

Just wondering if a coach can be too experienced to relate to younger age groups.

We recently appointed an RDC ( Region Director of Coaching ). His job is to get all our Region and Club coaches on a common well defined path as well as develop the Juniors at all ages from U10 to U20.

Coach Greg has enormous experience being a Level 2 Coach and previous assistant coach of an Australian Cal Ripken team. he has also been on tour in the USA with Development teams and is current San Diego Padres Scout in Australia the last 10 years.. He has a wealth of experience.

Not a slur on him as he has not even started his role for our region yet...

But is it possible for some coaches to be too experienced to relate to the U10 and U12 age groups?

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 224 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Jun 19, 2008 11:42 PM (in response to PHL_Baseball)
    Re: Too experienced a Coach?

You won't know until you give him a try.  Monitor his performance if you only get a complaint or two he is probably fine.  If a lot of parents are asking for refunds, calm them down, and then give him some help before you show him the gate.

• sportspsychrob Pro 10 posts since
    Jun 19, 2008
    2. Jun 20, 2008 2:32 AM (in response to PHL_Baseball)

I don't think you can be "too experienced" when working with kids. You may never have related to them at all, or your experience may have taken you in a different direction e.g. working with older athletes, but that's a different matter. What you might even be describing is inexperience with those younger age groups. If so, enthusiasm and willingness to adapt to the needs of the kids may be the most important factors to consider.

Rob Robson

Sport Psychologist, UK

• Coach40490 Rookie 7 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Jun 24, 2008 11:23 AM (in response to PHL_Baseball)

I believe it really relates to the experience that you are trying to give to the players.  I have seen it go both ways.  On one hand some coaches take too much from the upper levels and try to give the younger players too much information, making the children become overwhelmed.  The other side of it was that the coaches had all of the information but could easily tailor it to the level of play.  Where the second part came into play and was a real asset was that it could truly be tailored for the level of players.  What I mean by that is if young Johnny loves the game of baseball, he has someone that he can go to to learn more about the game and not become bored with the level of his peers.

I know that this was not a real answer to your question, but I think that you have to give it a chance to see if it will work. The big thing that you have to remember is that in any youth organization (actually life in generall) you are never going to please everyone, so do not think that it is a failure because you get a complaint, give it time.  

The real thing that you have to ensure is that the coach(es) are onboard with what your organization sets out as their mission.  If they arenot on the same page I would not even being down that road.

Frank

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...