Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

12301 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2008 3:12 PM by mike@active
mike@active Amateur 17 posts since
Mar 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2008 11:58 AM

Entry level bikes for Triathlons

I've decided to do a triathlon in October, but I find myself without a bike of any kind.  I don't plan to be competitive (at least in the biking portion) so I just want a bike that'll get me through the race, and the 20 miles to work a couple days a week.

I'm looking for your best suggestions/recommendations/reviews on ENTRY LEVEL bikes, preferably under $400.  Here's what I've come across thus far:

GMC Denali - ($175 shipped!! - Ridiculously low price might make up for any of its fallacies. Pretty decent reviews on Amazon...I'm leaning toward this one for the price.)

Schwinn Seneca - ($259 shipped - Obvious drawback is that its a very basic bike..but its probably better than a mountain bike!)

Ibex Classic 3300 - ($434 shipped - I've heard very good things about Ibex bikes. Unfortunately, its sold out right now,and who knows if it'll be available again soon)

Windsor Wellington 2.0 - ($369 shipped - Haven't heard anything about this brand, but the price is right)

Dawes Lightning 1000 - ($389 shipped - Again, don't know anything about this brand, but price is good)

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jun 23, 2008 7:50 AM (in response to mike@active)
    Re: Entry level bikes for Triathlons

also check with your good local  bike shop for a bike that fitsyou and your budget. if you've never built a bike I would think buying thru a LBS would be easier. also you can test ride the bike and see what you like the feel of best.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    2. Jun 23, 2008 8:18 AM (in response to mike@active)

I would recommend you to rent a good tri-bike before you make a puchase. ou might not lke any of these cheap bikes after your first competition, because they definitely are by far to cheap to be of good quality.

Regards

Gunter

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 23, 2008 10:15 AM (in response to mike@active)

I think you'll be able to find something in your budget also it helps to develop a relationship with them so when you need something fixed

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• ecgirard2 Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 18, 2007
    5. Jul 13, 2008 9:29 AM (in response to mike@active)

Check out ebay. I purchased a 1991 Cannondale SC600 (Aluminum Frame, Shimano 105(14 speed)) for $163 + $50 shipping in February. After I purchased pedals, helmet, new tires, a pump, etc. It totaled about $350.

If you go this route make sure you know roughly what size bike you need and ask the seller some questions. Make sure the bike hasn't been wrecked and the frame is in good shape.

FYI, now that I am hooked on Tri's I am getting a new bike for Xmas. Make sure you get a road bike for now and not a tri bike to start off with.

• ecgirard2 Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 18, 2007
    7. Jul 16, 2008 2:55 PM (in response to mike@active)

The Tarmac is on my short list if I get another road bike. I am leaning towards a tri specific bike at the moment. You may also want to check out Cervelo Team Soloist Carbon as well. I have read good things about it too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points