Skip navigation

4168 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 17, 2008 11:59 AM by Active Giselle RSS
JBan Pro 83 posts since
Oct 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2008 8:39 AM

How many water bottles do you buy a week?

I never thought about how many water bottles I go through a week until I started hearing about the green movement so I started paying a little more attention. One week I decided to count how many water bottles I went through and to my amazement the number was over twenty in just seven days! I work out a lot and usually  just grab a bottle and go or grab and bottle and speed off to work. 

All of these bottles really add up and I realized I could make a major difference in the environment and my wallet by refilling a water bottle instead. So now I actually use all those water bottles I've collected from events and what not throughout the years. It's making a big difference!

DID YOU KNOW????

Nearly 90% of plastic water bottles are not recycled, instead taking thousands of years to decompose. Buy a reusable container and fill it with tap water, a great choice for the environment, your wallet, and possibly your health. The EPA's standards for tap water are more stringent than the FDA's standards for bottled water.

How many water bottles do you buy a week?

• Active Giselle Active.com Staff 21 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 17, 2008 11:59 AM (in response to JBan)
    Re: How many water bottles do you buy a week?

Good for you! I finally just started kicking the bottled water habit too. Instead I am all about the Brita Water Filter.  The Gear Junkie recently wrote a story on a compact PUR water purifier that would be great for camping trips or whenever needed.

It's interesting too because bottled water isn't really all  it's cracked up to be. I got the info below from this blog by No Impact Man:

Here's why bottled water doesn't help, according to Food and Water Watch:

• 40% of the bottled water sold in the United States is tap water anyway.

• The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires hundreds of
           tests each month on municipal water supplies, but the Food and Drug
           Administration (FDA), which regulates bottled water, requires only one
           test a week on bottled water.

• Only 40% of bottled waterthat which is sold across state linesis regulated by the FDA in the first place.

• Plastic bottles in the United States require some 1.5 million
           barrels of oil to manufacture each year--enough to power 100,000 cars.

• 86% of plastic bottles in the United States never get recycled.

• Tap water costs about a penny a gallon and bottled waters costs up to $10 a gallon.

• Chemicals that leach from plastic water bottles may affect our health.

• If people abandon the use of municipal drinking water, then there
           will be no political will to ensure that we invest the necessary
           resources in the water infrastructure.

• The United States has some of the best drinking water in the world and we must keep it that way.

What do you think?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points