Skip navigation

11572 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2008 10:45 AM by Steelers21 Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 1, 2008 4:35 PM (in response to Charlie!2)
    Re: Half the Year is Gone...What have you Done?

Charlie!2 wrote:

You will be surprised at how little sleep your body needs...especially when you get older.. .

Speak for yourself!  I'm up at 4:30 or 5:00, in bed by 10:30 or 11:00, asleep by 11:00 or 11:30, and totally brain dead.  I need 7.5 hours of sleep to function normally!

I haven't done sh!t.

Ran 455 miles, all before the end of April.

Worked 14-18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Spent every other waking moment (of which there aren't many) running to/from soccer/volleyball/track practices/games, doing laundry, or elsewise with my kids.

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Jul 1, 2008 4:44 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

This year so far... ran (2 half marathons), worked on master's degree, left husband, partied, wrestled goats and large dogs.

Chocolate is very nice.
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... wrote:

Len, I took my fancy new bike out yesterday for my first ride. All I got was a flat tire and a sore a$$.

I REALLY miss running. However, if I'm looking at the bright side, the bike ride was MUCH better than the exercise bike.

You have to check out your saddle.  If it's too narrow, it won't be comfortable.  You sit on the ischial tuborosities (two "points" of bone on your butt) and the saddle should be wide enough to accomodate them.  I measured how far apart mine are (not real easy), then looked for a saddle that was about an inch wider.  I also got a slightly wider tire than came on the bike (28 instead of 25, I think) and the tires have a kevlar belt that makes them more puncture resistant.  I haven't had a flat yet, knock on wood.  There's an amazing amount of junk on the side of the road.

Len

Aug 21, 2007
    18. Jul 1, 2008 5:08 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

You measured your a$$?  That's pretty funny. 

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Jul 1, 2008 5:19 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

FormerBAM wrote:

You measured your a$$? That's pretty funny.

Hey Len. Did you measure it with or without snacks?

Chocolate is very nice.
    Jan 18, 2008

staving off decrepitude wrote:
    FormerBAM wrote:

You measured your a$$? That's pretty funny.

Hey Len. Did you measure it with or without snacks?

Without snacks, it wasn't a long run.  It's amazing what we do to stay in shape and compete.  Where was I reading that speedo envy is the main reason males drop out of competitive swimming?  I have to admit that might give me pause for a triathlon.  Nita, you buy that bike yet?

Len

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    21. Jul 1, 2008 5:55 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len, as always, thanks for the advice!  And I think I definitely need a wider seat.  I went home this weekend for my nieces' birthday party, and I took my bike with me to go for a ride with my Dad.  I needed to learn all the basics - mainly gear shifting.  Which I'm not sure I still have a handle on.  I just kept changing things til I liked the way it felt.  I ended up in quite a pickle.  I was riding on the shoulder of the road.  On my left - traffic.  On my right - some unknown wildlife character, sort of looked like a beaver, but I'm fairly certain you can't find those in Sussex County, Delaware.  Directly in front of me - broken glass.  The glass was the lesser of all evils. 

And I'm still giggling over you measuring your cheeks!  Speedo envy is currently available for viewing on USA - Olympic Swimming Trials.

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    22. Jul 1, 2008 5:59 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

DCtoPgh wrote:

What am I doing? Feeling F*ing lazy compared to you! Holy cr@p do you people sleep?!

Dittoing Kat. 

The only race I've run so far is the MCHH (1/2 marathon), which hurt the heck out of my foot.  I could hardly walk, so I couldn't run for 17 days.  Then I lost training time for my 50K trail race, hosted by Dean Karnazes.  Now I'm pretty much not gonna be able to run it!!!  And, and, and, on top of that I've lost speed and am slow as a slug.  I'm depressed now.  I think I'll turn in early.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

Jan 18, 2008

At least shifting is a lot easier than it was in the bad old days.  I did a real quick dodge this morning to avoid some glass.  Probably scared the **** out of the guy coming up behind me.

Len

Aug 21, 2007
    24. Jul 1, 2008 6:59 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    lenzlaw wrote:

Without snacks, it wasn't a long run. It's amazing what we do to stay in shape and compete. Where was I reading that speedo envy is the main reason males drop out of competitive swimming? I have to admit that might give me pause for a triathlon. Nita, you buy that bike yet?

Did I mention that I freaking HATE Active???  This, after I spent 20 minutes trying to post something and it just got more and more F'd up.  I give up.

Aug 21, 2007
    25. Jul 1, 2008 7:01 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby_2008 wrote:

Dittoing Kat.

The only race I've run so far is the MCHH (1/2 marathon), which hurt the heck out of my foot. I could hardly walk, so I couldn't run for 17 days. Then I lost training time for my 50K trail race, hosted by Dean Karnazes. Now I'm pretty much not gonna be able to run it!!! And, and, and, on top of that I've lost speed and am slow as a slug. I'm depressed now. I think I'll turn in early.

Hang in there, Ruby!  At least you had an injury excuse.  Mine was just work   We'll be back and better than ever in no time.  You're still a precious gem!

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    26. Jul 1, 2008 7:24 PM (in response to Charlie!2)

New year's resolution: run 1 marathon, complete 1200 miles.  So far so good.

773.68 miles since January 1.

1 marathon (first since 1988)

1 1/2 marathon (w/hangover)

1 10 miler

1 8K (w/hangover)

1 10K

1 5K

1 hip injury

1 morton's steak foot injury

2 knee injuries

Several lost marbles.

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    27. Jul 1, 2008 7:43 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

Kev, I'm not the guru, but if you're getting back into running I notice two things from your breakdown: lots of miles and lots of injuries. Think the two might be related?

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    28. Jul 2, 2008 5:03 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Good point on the injuries.  My cousin stopped running because his knees hurt.  After he stopped running, he said his knees didn't hurt any more.

Both knee ailments were a combo bad or worn shoes and baseball.  I need better spikes.

The hip injury was very painful.  It was caused by a lack of cross-training.  My abductor muscles got lonely; simple exercises and 5 days rest and I haven't had an issue since. 

Of lessons learned: wear good shoes + cross train.

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    29. Jul 2, 2008 6:49 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

Well heck!  If I was to measure my a$$ and get a saddle that fits it, I'd have to ride a bike with a car's seat modified to fit the bike...LOL

As far as the year goes, I haven't done jack!!!  Well, I've drank tons of Jack actually, but I haven't done much.

3 races(1 of them a marathon)

I'm the worst at keeping logs so I wouldn't be able to tell how many miles I have run

I know I've worked out at least 4 days out of the week for at least an hour.

I have worked countless hours on our garden, so far 6 rose bushes and counting, 1 key lime tree, 3 magnolias, 1 jazmin, 1 bouganville(sp?), tons of those other little decorating flowers, 52 hrs manicuring the lawn and about 3-4 hrs bldg decorations for the garden.

260 hrs commuting to/from work.

Had 1 vacation, 10 days in San Diego CA.

And....almost killed our pet rat, err I mean Chihuahua..

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...