Skip navigation

4356 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2008 9:02 AM by billprice005 RSS
walk689295 Amateur 9 posts since
Jul 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 1, 2008 10:42 AM

Modest Tri Apparel

I am a Christian man looking for modest triathlon clothing.  For my first sprint tri, I simply wore a dark T-shirt and baggy swim trunks for the entire event.  It worked, but it was obviously less than ideal.  I would like to find a better setup for performance without sacrificing modesty.  For next time, I was thinking of going with a rashguard or surf shirt, but I'm lost on the shorts.  I don't consider skin tight tri shorts modest, but I don't know if there is another alternative besides my baggy trunks.  To be specific:  I'm looking for knee length shorts that will go from water to bike to run that are not form fitting, but also not a parachute like my trunks.  Padding is not a requirement.  Maybe such a thing doesn't exist.  If so, modesty is a priority over performance and I'll go with what I know works.  Any other ideas on a shirt to go from swim to run are welcome also. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations!

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 8, 2008 3:51 PM (in response to walk689295)
    Re: Modest Tri Apparel

If I understand correctly what you are looking for doesn't exist.  I would suggest tri-shorts, they will hit slightly above the knee, have a small pad, and dry very quickly.  Do the swim in the shorts and no shirt, throw on a shirt for the bike and run portions, and a pair of workout shorts if you feel the need.  Tri-shorts are not immodest by my standards, and your are swimming.  What do you wear to the beach?  If the water is colder you could buy or rent a wet suit, that would cover you up pretty good.  Good luck.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Jul 11, 2008 7:53 AM (in response to walk689295)

I think most you will find are going to be tight against the skin - loose floppy ones increase drag.  you can always go w/ racebelt and have your race # cover you up. good luck and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jul 11, 2008 9:46 AM (in response to walk689295)

saw these today they are from australia:

http://www.jaggad.com/us/index.php?cPath=2_39

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    5. Aug 12, 2008 7:44 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

How about the double shorts from Novara http://www.rei.com/product/763476

These from Cannondale http://www.rei.com/product/747863 "have easy-pull straps to pull in the shorts close to the body when needed."

Good luck in your search.

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• neocharon Amateur 24 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    6. Aug 12, 2008 5:16 PM (in response to walk689295)

I would look at Under Armor (UA) and check out their Running gear. You could get the skin tight shirt for chaffing protection and the baggy shorts to allow you the modesty that you are looking for. It also has a liner sewn in to prevent chaffing. You can find under armor at most sports stores. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you! Oh and Under armor is moisture wicking so it will dry super fast!

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    7. Aug 12, 2008 6:16 PM (in response to walk689295)

Dear friend !

I have been following this discussion since your initial posting. I am not a christian, I do not believe in any religion. What I do not understand is why being christian does not allow you to wear "normal" sports clothes. Did your god create man with "decent" clothes on ? Or were they naked (according to the fairy tales of the bible) ?

Have fun with triathlon and let your god continue to do his evil work in this world.

Regards

Gunter

Jul 9, 2007
    8. Aug 13, 2008 6:14 AM (in response to honguito)

please play nice.  guy had a question about clothing to wear that doesn/t make him self concscious (spell?) really would prefer that we keep this civil and friendly avoid delving into peoples beliefs.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

• neocharon Amateur 24 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    9. Aug 13, 2008 7:18 AM (in response to honguito)

Easy bro! We are talking of equipment, not theological views. While there is a time and place for that kind of debate... well its not here. Take care and lets keep to the original topic. The man wants to race in baggy shorts then I say that is his choice. I offered my idea for quick dry clothes. I suggest you do the same. Then we can all have a great day.

Later

• bancsu Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 13, 2008
    10. Aug 13, 2008 5:21 PM (in response to neocharon)

Perhaps a mountain biking type of shorts will work?  I've seen some in my search for tri shorts that were slim fitting but not skin tight or compression.  Good luck in your search.  My best recommendation is to go to your local bike shop or adventure outfitter (like REI) and just try some on. 

• runrunrun67 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    12. Sep 18, 2008 7:51 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

I am pretty sure Jaggad also ship from the USA. I just posted a question to see who know some more about the gear as I am thinking of buying some of the onsale gear. They have some really cheap stuff..

• billprice005 Pro 75 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    13. Oct 28, 2008 9:02 AM (in response to walk689295)

I feel the way you do.  My tri suit is 1 size to large.  It does not seem to have to much drag, but is quite modest.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points