Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

17798 Views 170 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2008 7:40 AM by fred-urie RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Previous Next
  • Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Jul 19, 2008 6:35 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - July

Jeebus!!  You guys are still going over here?  Seems like it's the only active thread other than Newbie corner.  Newbies and Oldbies!  Wow!

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    106. Jul 19, 2008 7:05 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sure we're still here.  It's a fun place to be.  I learn a lot from these guys.

Had the catheter procedure yesterday and they found an artery that is almost blocked, so the dr. wants me to come back for another similar procedure next week where they will open it up.  He says that will probably relieve the symptoms I am having and may even delay the need for the valve replacement.  But still no walking or running this weekend.  More fun watching you guys anyway!   Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    107. Jul 19, 2008 8:10 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

I enjoy reading Fred and Raiders comments too.  Danged they were/are fast.   15 miles for me this morning partly on the beach.   Beach was worst condition to run on I've ever seen.  Very slow.  Even slower than the 1.5 - 2.0 mins slower per mile than marathon pace for the first 5.  Ran those with the lovely and gracious mrs ccrunr.

Ribs I left you a message on the kr page. 

I'm off to the scale now as I've eaten pretty good last 2-3 days.   When I get down to 155 I'm going to challenge Raider and Fred to a race.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    110. Jul 19, 2008 11:02 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich in NH wrote:

Fun reading Fred & Raider...

Saturday,

6 miles easy. I dropped 3 pounds during today's run and 6 pounds last week running a 14 miler. I'm still a little under the weather, but that seems excessive. It's a little humid, but not that hot.

Rich,

I'm pretty sure that you aren't hydrating enough. Any actual weight you lose would be more gradual. When you lose that much during a single run it is almost all water. Not taking enough liquids can definitely slow your recovery and even cause leg cramps.

• JPGarland Legend 776 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    111. Jul 19, 2008 11:23 AM (in response to fred-urie)

It's been a while since I've posted.  I've had a tough stretch of running, starting with a knee going.  That set me back a bit and I'm only now feeling ready to up things.  Today was a Club race, a very warm 4-miler that went badly, fully 1:15 slower than a couple of months back on the same course.  But it's a reflection of a complete lack of speed.

But the objective remains NY on Nov. 2 so my focus is on getting my mileage up.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    112. Jul 19, 2008 11:54 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Hey Jim, I drink a lot of water, so no dark urine here.  I know the weight I lose during a run is all water, I gain it right back.  3 pounds seemed excessive to me after just 6 easy miles though and why I mentioned it.

I dunno, maybe it's just our recent weather, in high humidity I suppose we'd sweat more.  At any rate, I'll keep an eye on it and be sure to pour myself plenty of water.

And thanks.

Joe, I wondered how your knee was doing.  No Reach the Beach relay this year, eh?  Good luck with training for NY...

Spareribs, continued good luck to you.  What are your thoughts about waiting to do the valve replacement?  It's not something that'll get better with time, correct?

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    113. Jul 20, 2008 11:08 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

No Rich, it won't get better with time, but its deterioration can be arrested probably with cholesterol medication and high blood pressure meds.  Tomorrow I will speak with the doctor and learn more about my next procedure to deal with this artery.  This sitting around for the entire weekend is very boring!

Joe, hope that knee improves.  If you just raced, i would say it must have.  So now it's rebuilding time for you huh?

KS, you know I will be in England when you are racing in Ft. Worth, otherwise I'd come out and cheer for you.  I'll get down to CC one day and we'll go out, probably next year.   Spareribs

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    114. Jul 20, 2008 12:08 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, it sounds like you are already better than you were a week ago.

70 miles on the bike starting with a climb part way up the base of North Mountain.  We then rode across the Cumberland Valley to South Mountain and did that climb.  I used a CamelBak (Sorry JP and Roch), but didn't love it.  It was heavy and hot.  There aren't many places to stop for drinks and I was afraid to run out of water today, 94 degrees.  I got a 2 mile run in yesterday and everything felt okay, during and after.

Hope you are all off to a terrific week.  Take care of all those body parts. 

I ran 2 whole miles yesterday.

• ptbrown Legend 422 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    115. Jul 20, 2008 5:24 PM (in response to euphoric)

Hello,

Ribs, I'm sorry to hear of your artery problems.  It is good that you know what the problem is and that you're getting some interim treatment.  Don't be too cavalier about getting the problem corrected.

I've been rehabilitating following a achiles tendon tear at the end of January - 6 weeks of rest followed, then 1.5 mile jogs 3 times a week, gradually increasing distance and pace.  It's not completely healed yet and sometimes I have to take a week off when it gets tender.

During the past month I've been running 5-6 mile fartlek a couple times a week. 

Wednesday I tried 800's and the heel twinged on the 3rd one - 6 miles total.    Thursday 6 miles of cross country very easy.   Friday I rested the heel.  Saturday 3 miles very easy.  Sunday 8 miles in the hills.

• JPGarland Legend 776 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    116. Jul 20, 2008 7:33 PM (in response to euphoric)

Well the knee was a problem for a couple of weeks.  Then I had an uncomfortable week trying to get into form again.  I was going at a good clip but felt out of sync.  I solved that by just doing a longish run on a track so that I could try to get my form back.  It worked.  I'm beginning to build up again, although today I ended up stopping early because I was just too hot.

As to Reach-the-Beach, it really is a team effort.  While I'm pleased with how our team performed, there were some cracks in the unified vision of the race, i.e., while no one was treating it as a lark, some were not taking it as seriously as I was.  I see that the run up the Kanc appears to have been a one-time thing and that the course is being redirected to the north.  I'll always view my run up that hill as one of my better efforts.  I wasn't going to to RTB anyway because I am concentrating on New York.

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    117. Jul 20, 2008 9:59 PM (in response to JPGarland)

Many man years ago I used to particpate in relays of this kind but if the team was not synced to go all out, I didn't run. I would bow out. I trained way to hard not to run a serious effort.

I got caught a couple of times but later on I was able to figure out whether the team I was invited to run on was serious. Anyone can have a bad race or bad leg of a relay. That was different than not taking it seriously.

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    118. Jul 20, 2008 9:59 PM (in response to Sun Raider)

sorry for the typo in last message.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    119. Jul 21, 2008 5:15 AM (in response to Sun Raider)

Raider - you are forgiven too.

PT - 800's, fartlek, and CC race on a tender Achilles?   What was the adivce you just gave Ribs?   15 months ago my vet said either I wear the boot for 3 months or go ahead and tear my achilles which would allow him to schedule my surgery.      I chose the boot but still have twinges from time to time.  Probably always will but I didn't ramp up to the hard/speed work nearly as soon as you are.   Just sayin.........

JP - glad to see you're back and on the mend.  I did my first relay this spring w/ 8 other runners of various caliber.  Each of us were to run about 5 legs each.  One runner had to be convinced/strong armed to run his 4th leg and I had to run 6 to make up for his last leg he refused to run.  Sometimes you never know what you're going to get till you get it!

Euphoric - nice tough ride you put in.

3 more weeks till the games begin.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...