Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18175 Views 170 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2008 7:40 AM by fred-urie RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    121. Jul 22, 2008 6:20 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - July

As Mr. T. used to say "I pity the fool" who messes with her.

8 miles this morning and felt pretty good after that brief speed work yesterday.  Glutes a little sore last night but fine this morning.  Waiting on the tropical storm "Dolly" to blow and rain on us tonight and tomorrow.  Should be mostly over by Thurs nite.  

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    122. Jul 22, 2008 7:36 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Monday: Ran for 60 minutes. Attended orgy for 90 minutes.

Let's put her up against Laila Ali.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    125. Jul 22, 2008 9:54 AM (in response to fred-urie)

PT, I agree with KS.  I was dumbfounded when I read you are trying to do any kind of speed on a bad achilles.  You are just one of those antsy competitive guys that Daws used to call "the healthiest guy in the bleachers."

Sun, that is a good point you and Joe made. I never did a relay but my running buddy did HTC two years ago and trained for it all spring and summer.  Then he gets out there and finds his team (a corporate group from work) saw it as more of a long jog and camping expedition.  He came home furious with them.  I would be the same.

Jim, I just saw your 40/40 post for the last week.  Heck of a week, a 19:38 fiveK the day after a long run.

Okay, I saw the film last night of the cath procedure, with the doctor explaining.  When I wrote artery I should have said blood vessel.  The heart has a jillion of them and I saw the one that he is going to open.  It was very obvious to me once I saw the iodine ink not getting all the way through.  So Thursday I go in again and this time they will insert the stent in that place and I should be fine.  This will delay the need for the valve replacement perhaps by several years, so I am optimisitc.  Spareribs

• ptbrown Legend 422 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    126. Jul 22, 2008 12:37 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Monday - 5 miles easy at the school complex.

Tuesday - 5 miles mostly easy on the roads.  A caravan of trucks was painting the middle-of-the-road stripe.  I could hear them for several minutes as they crept up behind me.  It appeared as if the driver had a governor on the engine and was doing 10 mph.  I desperately wanted to beat it to the town line about 1 1/4 miles ahead.   But my heel is still a little sore and Ribs/KS admonitions are fresh in my mind.   So I stuck to my cruising pace and watched the trucks disappear over the hill ahead.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    127. Jul 22, 2008 4:21 PM (in response to ptbrown)

ptbrown, good to see you posting your runs here, keep it up...

I seem to have caught a bug of some sort, dealing with a cough, sore throat and weak the last few days. Sunday's long run was a disaster, I thought I was ok to run, but 12 miles in was walking and jogging the last 5 miles to get home.

I took Monday off.

Today was 25 minutes on a Nordic Track Ski machine. I bought the thing at a tag sale a while ago and it's in like new condition. Used exercise equipment is probably one of the best buys out there, it's everywhere and people practically give it away just to get rid of it. As far as the Nordic Track, it's a great workout.

Anyway, it's time to get outside running again and barring any violent thunderstorms (forecast) that's where I'll be tomorrow...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    128. Jul 22, 2008 6:24 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Monday  60 minutes pool running.  The 90 degree temps kept me off the road.

Tuesday  40 mile ride through the valley.  Easy hills.

I'm buying a lottery ticket the minute everyone here is feeling well and not dealing with any injuries. 

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    130. Jul 24, 2008 8:27 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Like euphoric, still doing more biking than running. Had a good 42-mile ride in the HHH last Friday morning, interrupted by a flat that I fortunately was able to fix without having to call my DW for a rescue. Always carry a tube and tools on the road, but never a Camelbak! This week I've done two runs at astounding distances of 1.0 and 1.3 miles, but even that is significant in what I didn't feel during or after the runs.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    131. Jul 23, 2008 3:35 PM (in response to rochrunner)

roch, your running is headed in the right direction, good for you.

Wednesday,

11 miles total, 3 mile w/u, 6 x 1600 @ HM pace with 90 sec. jog between, 2 mile c/d with 6 x 100 strides.

Spareribs, you're almost through with this stuff, good luck...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    132. Jul 24, 2008 3:47 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Found 2 new old Army guys along the route this morning.  I offered to show them my 4 mile route, but warned it would be very slow.  One was wearing a Garmin and what I thought was an over 10:00 pace was really a 9:16. 

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    133. Jul 24, 2008 6:15 AM (in response to euphoric)

PT - please disregard my unsolicited advice.  When I and Ribs agree something isn't right.  Just sayin.............

Ribs - God speed and recovery for you today.

Raider - I'm glad someone congratulated you on your accomplishment.

Euphoric - out picking up guys again.  That running really works well for you. 

12 miler last night between the band of torrential rain.   So humid I wished it had rained on me about 1/2 way thru.  

Skipped morning 6 miler as it was pouring again.  Suppose to let up this afternoon so I can get back out.  Next week is going to be murder with the heat and humids.  I'm ready for a cold fall season for sure.

More stories please Raider and Fred and others.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...