Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19138 Views 170 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2008 7:40 AM by fred-urie 1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 2, 2008 9:08 AM

50 Plus Training and Racing - July

Yesterday was a Canadian holiday.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Jul 2, 2008 9:46 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - July

It's all okay now guys and gals; Fred's back.   Come on in and post 'em if you got 'em.

11 miles this morning in the rolling hills with pace at 8:06.  80 degrees and 90% humids.  But completely overcast, no wind to battle, and the occassional spritz of a sprinkle.  Felt pretty good for a change.  Hope to run 8 more with the Mrs. later tonight for her midweek long run.

Just saw a video of the olympic trials 800.  Terrific!    Who sets the standards for olympic qualifying times?  The olympics or the home country of the athlete.  The 3rd place runner didn't meet the "A" standard and can't go?

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    5. Jul 2, 2008 11:52 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks, Fred.   

No run today, but 5 easy miles yesterday morning, the first day of July.  I'll do an active recovery ride on the bike later this evening, a short one.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    6. Jul 2, 2008 4:18 PM (in response to euphoric)

I still think we should have changed our user names, names like Sparefred and eufredic would have worked just fine...

Wednesday,

Day 3 of recovery from last Sunday's race, 6 miles @ recovery pace...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Aug 14, 2007
    7. Jul 3, 2008 5:29 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

I vote for SpareFred as long as no cloning is involved.  You-Fred-Ick is appropriate but not very flattering.  I'll bet he wouldn't mind a Rich-Fred.  FredRaider conjures a Harrison Ford image.  The rest of you have been spared, lower case "s".

I need to schedule my 500 mile service, so I'll do the 40 mile round trip to the cycle shop today.  The ride will require less effort than trying to schedule on the phone.  I'll swim later and just realized it's been almost a year since I purchased new running shoes, but I've worn through 3 bathing suits.  Actually, new shoes were purchased last fall, but returned.  I still have the store credit and am almost ready to use it.

Jim, I hope the training is going well for the big one in Chicago.

Aug 14, 2007
    10. Jul 3, 2008 11:34 AM (in response to fred-urie)

No way!  Fred, the legend, can't be "too old".  Don't ever say that again.  Take a nap and report back here.  I won't have a clue about your report, but the others will.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Jul 3, 2008 3:37 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I was unable to start a new July thread because July 1 was a Canadian holiday.  (If there was ever a "my dog ate my homework" story, that one was the king.)

I am taking it easy with just a bit of light jogging and walking, maybe a mile or a bit more at a time, until I get fatigued.  Blood results are back from the lab and all are normal.  Stress/echo test is July 18th.   Sparefred

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    12. Jul 3, 2008 4:34 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I wonder if there's a site telling who's going to the Olympics and video clips of them qualifying.  Such a site would be awesome.  I know Ryan Hall and Deena Kastor are going.  And Shalane Flanagan, who just broke the world record for 10K is in.  That's about it.

Does anyone have a favorite brand of running clothes?  UnderArmor makes a great shirt but I'm not crazy about their shorts.  I've got a bunch of clothes I won't wear, shirts that'll rub your nipples raw and shorts that cling and look ridiculous when they're wet.  I'm wondering what others wear.

Saturday,

6 miles of easy running.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jul 3, 2008 9:16 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich, and anyone else who hasn't seen this one...it is a must watch:

http://www.ktvb.com/video/index.html?nvid=259399

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jul 3, 2008 9:25 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Good news on the blood tests, Ribs. They must not be too worried if they are putting you off until the 18th for the other tests.

Thanks Euphie, but no Chicago for me. I had been tentatively planning to run Cowtown in Sacramento on Oct 5 instead, but I'm about a month behind on training. I might do CIM again instead. It's not until December which will give me more time. I started feeling normal in daily activities more than a week ago but legs are still feeling like lead during my runs.

1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...