NEED HELP?|

5512 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2010 7:13 AM by HWKICVO
WillyTriHouston Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 8, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 6, 2008 9:00 AM

Gale Bernhardt's Training Plans

Hi Everyone,

Not necessarily new to triathlon (I completed an Ironman several years ago), but I am new to Gale's training plans.  I have a few questions to those who have used her plans before:

1.  I noticed she is light on describing sets for swimming, etc.  I was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance as to how far the main set should be if she only identifies time.  I know I should include warm up and cool down sets, etc.  Should I interpret the instructions to mean that the warm up and cool down is part of the training time she identifies?

2. Also, on two a day workouts, I dont see if those should be bricks or do one workout and then the other later in the day.

If anyone has other suggestions or example plans for me I would appreciate the input.  Basically my goal is to comfortable finish the iron distance with plenty of time to spare.  I'm a pretty good swimmer and biker, but a SLLLOOOOOWWW runner.

Thanks again!

• Josercaldera Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 31, 2009
    1. May 11, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to WillyTriHouston)
    Re: Gale Bernhardt's Training Plans

Hi Willy,

I just bought also a training from Gale and noticed the same... Did you ever get an answer to your question below?

Thanks,

- jose

• HWKICVO Pro 51 posts since
    Nov 21, 2008
    2. May 13, 2010 7:23 AM (in response to WillyTriHouston)

I've used a few of Gale's plans and I really liked them, I worked with the 13 week 70.3 training plan last year and now in the middle of the 27 week 70.3 plan this year.  They're good plans but I did have questions about some of the same stuff you're asking about when I first started following last years' plan...here's how I would interpret these:

1.  The swim times do include warm up/cool down time, so you're main set(s) will only be part of the whole time.  I've looked around for swim workouts and there are some in other tri books or online that can be incorporated into the plan.

2.  If it specifically says that the workout is a brick then definitely do it as one and work on your transitions.  But if there are two listed separately then you can do them as a brick or make it two workouts...like a morning and evening workout.  I usually try to do them both together but sometimes there just isn't a big enough block of time for me so I do my best to split them up.

From my experience, I really felt the benefits from the longer weekend workouts.  I work a Mon-Fri job and so the weekends are the only time I can fit in a workout that's several hours long.  I usually spend the week days working on speed, drills, intervals, etc and put the long time in on Sat/Sun.

I hope this helps and good luck in training for the IM.  Which one are you doing?

• Josercaldera Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 31, 2009
    3. May 13, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to HWKICVO)

Thanks for the info. I just did my first olympic tri, so I am bit far from IM...   ... I signed up for another tri (San Jose,CA in July) but looking to improve significantly my Wildflower time. I got about 8 weeks to prepare so the program from Gale fits well.

I also struggle with finding continuous time... we do what we can...

Thanks,

- jose

• HWKICVO Pro 51 posts since
    Nov 21, 2008
    4. May 14, 2010 7:13 AM (in response to Josercaldera)

Yep, we do what we can...aint that the truth.  With some solid training over these next 8 weeks, you're sure to see improvements.  Stick with it.

Good luck in your next tri Jose!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points