Skip navigation

16907 Views 67 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2008 3:31 PM by staving off decrepitude RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Re: recovering from long runs

I make sure I have a recovery drink immediately after my run.  Saturday I packed a 35g protein drink from Trader Joe's.  Still, I was quite sluggish yesterday but I think Saturday's run in 100% relative humidity really did me in.  I'm sore today, but wasn't yesterday.  Time to stretch.

For you folks with Migraines:  My cousin met a country doctor who told him of a remedy.  He did it once and had not been required to go back to the expensive migraine medicine.  Simply 4 Advils and a regular coke.  That was the secret.  I've share this with friends and co-workers; they too have been successful.  One guy insisted on buying me a beer simply because I was saving him like $10 a week on the prescription meds -- and he stopped taking some sort of steroid and his weight is going back down.

Hopefully that helps!

Another suggestion:  For electrolytes, a buddy mention this AM to have a lemonade like it's a margarita.  Add the salt around the edges.

Ice baths: I can't seem to fathom it though I should, however, I know my knees need it!  I may consider a quarry nearby after my next long run.  They are pretty cold in these areas (though cramping can be a danger).

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008

I get a bad headache after a long run if I don't eat and hydrate properly.  I used to think as long as I was drinking during the run that I was fine.  Not so.  You have to be sure to keep drinking all day.  I immediately hit a bottle of gatorade that I keep in the car when I'm done the run.  Right before I get back home, I run into the market and pick up a bottle of chocolate milk.  Then I go with whatever fluids for the rest of the day.

I do not and will not do ice baths.  Here's my recipe:

1) Get In Shower

2) Make sure you are NOT in the stream of water from the shower head.

3) Turn water to ice cold.

4) While keeping the rest of your body FAR AWAY from the water, stick one leg under the stream of ice cold water.

5) Switch legs.

6) Repeat.

• tjtaylor95 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 5, 2008

I also ran 15 for my long run.  Good job on running your long runs faster this year!! I woke up this morning with a mild headache.  I have been having them off and on for the last few days.  I ran 11 miles back on Tuesday and they may have started after that.  Anyway, nothing bad like a migraine but annoying.  I also spent most of the weekend at the beach so I was thinking maybe being in the sun all day was contributing.  I think I am pretty well hydrated but maybe not.  I drink a lot of water the day before my long run, during my run and immediately after but sometimes have a hard time remembering to drink later in the same day.  I will need to do better at that.  I it is better for me to stay a little bit active after my long run and then I am not as sore the next few days.  If I lay around I feel it everytime I start to be active again.  I don't have really any soreness today.  I was able to do 3 miles easy hillwork. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,269 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Lauren, you forgot

4a. SCREAM!

Len

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    20. Jul 7, 2008 11:44 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I know I am not supposed to respond but I have to.  I can get sore with the best of them.  I do have unbelievable recovery times but I still get sore.  I will either take an ice bath(shorts and sweatshirt are worn to compensate for the ice water).  This is most important.  I also eat a healthy portion of protein and some veggies for dinner, or lunch.  This will help the muscles to heal those little tears that the long run offers.  Then the next thing is to get a good nights sleep the night following the long run.  The down time is utmost important.  This is why I enjoy my long runs on Sunday's because it is the easiest night to go to bed early on and get ready for the next work week.  This is Jimmy's advice for you to take or leave.  Enjoyed what others had to say especially Len's ammendment to LW's #4.  You must scream.

Jimmy

|

This place is like home!!!!

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    21. Jul 7, 2008 12:23 PM (in response to HALOjen)

Stay away from pain killers.  They mask pain: your most effective harbinger of injury.  Additionally, NSAIDs (Advil is one) slow healing and recovery.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    22. Jul 7, 2008 12:34 PM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

My post long run headaches have been far fewer if I keep walking or do some short jogs later in the day AND if I eat extra salt

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    23. Jul 7, 2008 12:48 PM (in response to Immer treu)

I read somewhere that you should walk a mile after your long runs.  I have noticed, the more I walk afterwards in the day, the less I feel it the next day.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,269 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    24. Jul 7, 2008 1:33 PM (in response to DaveVause)

Yep, keep moving after your long runs and after the marathon.  I think it makes a big difference in how you feel later and the next day.

Len

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    25. Jul 7, 2008 2:00 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

TowsonRunner wrote:

Ice baths work wonders for soreness. It's really not that bad if you fill the tub up to the hips and then slowly add the ice. You definitely shouldn't jump in after you've already dumped all the ice cubes in. Negative. NO. Don't do it!

Ice baths: I can't seem to fathom it though I should, however, I know my knees need it! I may consider a quarry nearby after my next long run. They are pretty cold in these areas (though cramping can be a danger).

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    26. Jul 7, 2008 2:38 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

TowsonRunner wrote:

For you folks with Migraines:  My cousin met a country doctor who told him of a remedy.  He did it once and had not been required to go back to the expensive migraine medicine.  Simply 4 Advils and a regular coke.  That was the secret.  I've share this with friends and co-workers; they too have been successful.  One guy insisted on buying me a beer simply because I was saving him like $10 a week on the prescription meds -- and he stopped taking some sort of steroid and his weight is going back down.

The Coke is important because of the caffeine which helps the active meds absorb faster and thus bring faster relief.... chocolate, coffee, or tea would all have the same effect. Caffeine also has treatment effects on its own but I'm not certain of the mechanism. (My dad was a neurosurgeon and when I first started getting migraines he'd give me caffeine before anything else to see if that would knock it out).  However, you need to be careful about the level of caffeine so you don't get a rebound headache.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    27. Jul 7, 2008 3:28 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby_2008 wrote:

Ice baths work wonders for soreness. It's really not that bad if you fill the tub up to the hips and then slowly add the ice. You definitely shouldn't jump in after you've already dumped all the ice cubes in. Negative. NO. Don't do it!

Fill the tub with cold water, add ice, add runner.  Simple recipes are the best.

I used to dread the ice bath.  I cut back on the amount of ice I was using (going from 20 lbs. to 14 lbs.) and now have no problems.  It takes a little getting used to but the benefits are significant.

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    28. Jul 7, 2008 4:03 PM (in response to Steelers21)
    Steelers21 wrote:
    Ruby_2008 wrote:

Ice baths work wonders for soreness. It's really not that bad if you fill the tub up to the hips and then slowly add the ice. You definitely shouldn't jump in after you've already dumped all the ice cubes in. Negative. NO. Don't do it!Fill the tub with cold water, add ice, add runner. Simple recipes are the best.

I used to dread the ice bath. I cut back on the amount of ice I was using (going from 20 lbs. to 14 lbs.) and now have no problems. It takes a little getting used to but the benefits are significant.

Let me guess... add epsom salt to taste?

Tim: you should have it made -- just walk out into the Pacific. I should have done that after Big Sur.

Good point on the caffeine.  One question: if everyone on this board is so smart, why are we immersing our bodies into ice water and running marathons?

• stewilli Pro 87 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007

During and post run hydration are very important, but don't overlook the day before.  I find that I don't drink enough water, or drink to much beer it doesn't matter how much I drink while and after I run Hydration is still an issue.  My advice is drink plenty of H2O the day before the long run.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points