Skip navigation

10160 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2008 9:57 AM by staving off decrepitude RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 8, 2008 1:11 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: LOSS OF TOENAILS

Friends, welcome to the wonderful world of Holly-isms.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • tjtaylor95 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 5, 2008
    16. Jul 8, 2008 1:18 PM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)

I totally can relate!!  I have the ugliest summer feet.  I currently am in the process of loosing two toenails.  I purchased new shoes (Asics Keyano 14) with a much bigger toe box then my previous Nike Pegasus.  I also purchased my shoes in wide. I don't usually wear a wide in shoes but I know your feet swell when you've been pounding on them for miles.  I enjoy the extra room.  However, I would be careful getting your shoes too big length wise.  I think a half size up would be good.  My toes are doing much better with the new shoes.  I still get quite a bit of blistering (not usually painful) that I sort of sluff off every few days. 

Regarding your pucking....how horrible after all the work you have just put in to complete the marathon.  Do you get sick on your long runs too?  Maybe it is nerves for the marathon itself?  I have a very sensitive stomach, sometimes on a long run my stomach will be very unhappy after the run.  I still am not sure what I am doing differently to make myself sick sometimes.  I keep hearing better hydration would help but after the run when my stomach feels so upset I find it hard to push the liquids and food.  Maybe like the previous posts suggested really try to find out what you can eat and drink and stick to that. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    17. Jul 8, 2008 1:38 PM (in response to tjtaylor95)

I too have the problem of not wanting to eat after the marathon. In Nashville we all went out to eat right after and I didn't order anything because I knew I wouldn't be able to eat it. Push the fluids if you can, that's important, preferably something with some calories. It's usually four or five hours before my appetite returns.

Len

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    18. Jul 8, 2008 1:38 PM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

Friends, welcome to the wonderful world of Holly-isms.

You're Effin Hilarious!

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • tjtaylor95 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 5, 2008
    19. Jul 8, 2008 1:52 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len~

Glad to know I am not the only one who has a hard time finding an appetite sometimes after long runs.  What do you usually drink?  Carnation Breakfast seems to be popular but I haven't tried it yet.  Thank.

Joy

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    20. Jul 8, 2008 3:05 PM (in response to tjtaylor95)

I may have overlooked it, but I didn't see this suggestion anywhere...

A lot of times the thing people overlook is the actual length of your toenail...

CUT THEM SHORT.  I cut them as short as humanly possible two days before the marathon.  Three marathons, zero black toenails, zero toenails lost. 

It doesn't matter how well your shoes fit, if you're not cutting your toenails short enough, you're going to have a problem.

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    21. Jul 8, 2008 3:16 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

I too have the problem of not wanting to eat after the marathon. In Nashville we all went out to eat right after and I didn't order anything because I knew I wouldn't be able to eat it. Push the fluids if you can, that's important, preferably something with some calories. It's usually four or five hours before my appetite returns.

I had a hot dog at the finish line before we went out to eat 

I needed some protein!  What's up with nothing but loads of carbs at the finish lines???

Sorry to get off track.  I agree, cutting my toenails helps more than anything with sore toes, Lauren!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    22. Jul 8, 2008 6:42 PM (in response to tjtaylor95)

tjtaylor95 wrote:

Len~

Glad to know I am not the only one who has a hard time finding an appetite sometimes after long runs. What do you usually drink? Carnation Breakfast seems to be popular but I haven't tried it yet. Thank.

Joy

After races, I usually drink just water.  I might nibble on a bagel or a banana if I'm feeling pretty good.  At home I might have something like Gatorade, or skim milk - nothing too heavy, but with a little flavor.

Len

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    23. Jul 8, 2008 7:11 PM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)

I've lose one toe nail in my life.  Twice.  Second toe, left foot.  That one may have been the little piggie that went to the market but got run over by a bus.  I don't remember.   I haven't seen any toenails, but I'll keep an eye out for them.  I did, by chance, lose my marbles when I first signed up for this board.  Imagine that.:|

Did you try going to a true running store?  If not for Lenzlaw Press-On-Nails, then maybe some semi-pro advice from people that sell shoes to people that apparently drop their toe nails all over the place not to mention have bad knees, IT-band issues, shin-splints, corns, blisters, plantar fasciitis, etc...  I think that would be your best approach.

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    24. Jul 8, 2008 7:28 PM (in response to tjtaylor95)

Joy:

For recorvery, don't forget to try a high-protein SlimFast or even better - the 35g protein drink from Trader Joe's.  They both taste the same; prepackaged; easy to toss in a cooler if you are off on a trail.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Jul 8, 2008 9:19 PM (in response to LINDA DOHERTY)

Man, y'all wanna see some ugly messed-up toenails as a result of shoes, try pointe shoes. Might as well drop an anvil on your foot.

Nausea....yeah, we've all been there. As for recovery drinks, I'm a big fan of chocolate milk. (or, even better, butterscotch or caramel milk, but the syrup is harder to find). It's yummy and keeps my mind distracted while I'm sitting in an ice bath freezing my butt off.

Best drunk through a straw, of course.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    26. Jul 9, 2008 5:51 AM (in response to RunnerWags)

TowsonRunner wrote:

I've lose one toe nail in my life. Twice. Second toe, left foot. That one may have been the little piggie that went to the market but got run over by a bus. I don't remember. I haven't seen any toenails, but I'll keep an eye out for them. I did, by chance, lose my marbles when I first signed up for this board. Imagine that.:|

Did you try going to a true running store? If not for Lenzlaw Press-On-Nails, then maybe some semi-pro advice from people that sell shoes to people that apparently drop their toe nails all over the place not to mention have bad knees, IT-band issues, shin-splints, corns, blisters, plantar fasciitis, etc... I think that would be your best approach.

Love it! ROTFL....

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    27. Jul 9, 2008 6:36 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Toenails I lost a bunch before I started buying my shoes at the running shoe store.  I was appearantly buying shoes that were too small.  Since then I've been using Asics either Kayano 13s or 2130s and haven't lost.  I did lose 2 when I tried those stupid Nike+ shoes...X-(

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    28. Jul 9, 2008 9:57 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

I lost a half a toenail sort of. I can feel that toe (the 2nd one on my left foot) being pressed on by something after about 15 miles. Anything less than that and it's fine. I have room to wiggle it and it doesn't feel like it's hitting the end of the shoe. Maybe it's hitting my other toe.  Definitely go to a good running shoe store, and get fitted for shoes in the afternoon when your feet are at their natural largest, since they will expand during a long run.

Chocolate is very nice.
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points