Skip navigation

2966 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2008 7:40 AM by Eric Kenney RSS
Lorsita Amateur 13 posts since
Jul 8, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2008 12:28 PM

Tri Coaches & Training

I'm relatively new to tri, but am already craving better times. I'm condiering getting a coach next season & wondering if it's recommeded, how expensive it may be, what to expect, how to find one & if it's too soon.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 8, 2008 1:56 PM (in response to Lorsita)
    Re: Tri Coaches & Training

www.usatriathlon.org has a listing of coaches that have passed some level of certification - so you know they at least know something .

then you gotta ask what do you want? a local coach or an online coach. how much interface do you want? do you need someone to hold your hand or are you ok w/ a training plan and the occasional email? does your training/racing philosphies match up?

prices vary depending on the level of participation you want from the coach.

I think it's always good to have someone you can talk to and provide guidance especially on stuff like swim form where you really need outside eyes to catch your flaws. I had a coach when I did team in training and he was a good guy but haven't hired one since but that's me a BOPer who is happy just training and getting the occassional race Tshirt. have seen coaches help fast age groupers improve even more and know folks who just swear by their coaches.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Eric Kenney Amateur 32 posts since
    Oct 14, 2007
    2. Sep 3, 2008 7:40 AM (in response to Joe_h1)
    Re: Tri Coaches & Training

Ditto, on the above. What a coach SHOULD do is maximize your time. give you specific training for YOU not necessarily your race.

anyone can give you a "sprint tri training plan" and reply to your e-mails.

a coach should find your strengths, weaknesses and apply them to your training in a manner to reach your goals

with a maximum ROI.

find a friend or training partner that has a coach or had one. ask them about there experience.

feel free to e-mail me if you like. I will be glad to answer any questions and can point you to some other good resources. "non coaching" options.

Eric

htttp://ekendurancecoaching.com

Eric

http://ekendurancecoaching.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points