Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

85609 Views 572 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2008 6:09 PM by MoniQ83 1 2 3 ... 39 Previous Next
wannaberunner08 Rookie 19 posts since
Jul 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2008 10:39 AM

Beginning the Couch 2 5K this week-lets do it together!!

I'm beginning the Couch2~5K this week and would like a group to go through it with. Is there anyone out there in the same boat?? We could encourage each other!

• MissB24 Rookie 20 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008

Hi!  I started the C25K (FINALLY!) at the beginning of this week.  Today was my third set in the first week.  After getting through the first week , although I did okay, I know I will not be able to do this on my own. 

I got on here to find a buddy so I am in!!!   I certainly don't mind doing the first week over so we can do it together.  I think it will help knowing someone else out there is going through it too!  (Strength in numbers you know!

Sarah

• kmallery Rookie 18 posts since
    Jun 29, 2008

I'll join in this week too!  I did the first day last Thursday;  I think I'll start all over again.  It totally kicked my butt, I was not prepared.  I also started a class Monday and Wednesday mornings so I think my schedule will be Tuesday, Thursday, and Sat or Sun.

I hope to do this program and be able to run my first 5K in mid-October.

I get my mp3 player on Tuesday so I hope listening to the podcasts will help get me going!

Kat

• kmallery Rookie 18 posts since
    Jun 29, 2008

For me, I think having at least one day of rest in between the program days will be a good time to recouperate

Jul 13, 2008

Hey Kat

Welcome to the group!   Tuesday, Thursday and a weekend day (sat or sun) works for me!   I guess I will start over again on Tuesday the first week kicked my butt too!! But it was one of those good butt kickings, you know  

What kind of classes are you going to be taking?  I am thinking about walking on the in between days.... not sure yet though.  And yes, the pod casts are great they really helped keep me going this week!!

Sarah

Jul 13, 2008

Hey!

Yes I think Tuesday, Thurs and sunday work best too but I would say start the first day on the Tuesday and ending on Sunday.  That way we all begin on the same day.  I am doing mine on the treadmill too.  I am in the Cincinnati area and the weather here is just too unpredictable!! 

I was wondering about the speeds though, they said to do a "Brisk walk" on the intervals.  I have been trying to do about 2.5 MPH (according to the treadmill) on the walking and about 4.5 MPH on the running (yes, a slow run but I am a BEGINNER! lol)  What have you guys been doing your speeds at? (if you're on a treadmill).

Sarah

• Galileo713 Rookie 11 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008

Hey girls, I'm Kristin and I started C25k today too! I'm so excited. Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday sound great. I'll probably continue starting my weeks on Sunday, but would like to keep up with this group anyway. Let's keep it fun and motivating. I think we need a slogan. Ideas?

While you're thinking, here's a little bit more about me. As I already said, my name is Kristin. I'm 19 (will be 20 in September) and have never been a runner before. The only running I've done is whatever is required for sports, and I only played sports sophomore and senior years of high school. I split my time between St. Louis, MO (home) and Columbia, MO (school). I'm going to be a sophomore in college next year and am currently a biology major following a pre-med track.

There are plenty of things I like to do outside of running (which I hope to add to my hobbies soon enough), but I'd have to say my favorites are just hanging out with friends or grabbing a bite to eat. Every once in awhile I do something crazy, like play goalie for a lacrosse team or go snowboarding or stay out until 4AM partying (hey, it's college...).

I run because I want to be in great physical shape, increase my endurance, and replace bad habits with good ones.

Who's next?! -Kristin

• AlteredMentation Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 14, 2008

Mind if I joint you guys??  Tue/Thur/Sunday sounds great here, although I will be starting on Tues and ending on Sundays.  My hubby plays softball on Mondays and Wednesdays, so this is great.  I have been wanting to start for a while.  I have a couple times and quit, but hoping to stick with it with a "team". 

A little about myself.  I guess I am the oldy here.  I am 39 and wanting to get back in shape before my 40th B-day in March.  I've always exercised to maintain my desired weight but not because of a love of it or anything.  However, I stopped after my son was born 7 years ago and have slowly but steadily packed on 20 pounds.  It is so hard to get started again, but I don't want to enter my "middle age" being overweight and lazy, as I am sure it will be even harder to change my ways later. 

So - Will you guys kick my butt when I need it?

Good luck everyone

• EmilyinBK Rookie 38 posts since
    Jul 14, 2008

I'm starting c25k as well, on the treadmill, though at some point I hope to migrate outdoors.  I've chosen the treadmill for convenience and all the advice indicates that you should run wherever you think is easiest. 

I'm 34 yrs old, and I've ever been active in any kind of sports whatsoever for most of my life.  I've never been overweight, but I can't say I've ever been physically fit and I'm at the point in my life where I'm realizing how important this is.  Let's just say that the subway stairs seem to be more of a challenge than I want them to be, and the waists sizes on my pants have increased over the years.  I have a desk job which has been causing some shoulder pain and general stiffness, and thus my reason for joining pilates.  I've taken pilates sessions at a gym before, but absolutely nothing beats one-on-one sessions with an accredited instructor and I'm doing this once a week.  I hope the pilates ends up being a really good supplement to the running program and vice versa.  We shall see!  Goal--fitness and feeling better, with weight loss a value-added benefit.

The first run was pretty awful, i must admit.  So, let us all commiserate together, shall we!  It was really the terrible burning sensation in the calves and shins that blew me away.  I always thought my legs were pretty strong.  The second run was no better, and I ran right after getting up in the morning.  I'm figuring out that a run later in the day works better for me since my body is a lot more "awake."  My third run was the easiest and I completed it without feeling winded but found the tightness in my lower legs to be the biggest problem.  I'm going to spend a lot more time stretching since that seems to help.  But I'm guessing I'm in the conditioning phase and hope my leg strength gets better.  Any advice in this dept. would be greatly appreciated.

Happy running everyone!!!  I'll keep visiting and reading all your posts.

• EmilyinBK Rookie 38 posts since
    Jul 14, 2008

Oh and let me add to my post that I'm going to repeat the first week.  Again, just following the advice I keep coming across which is to really ease your way into it.  I'm still feeling pain so I'm just going to do the 90 sec-one minute intervals another three times.  Part of me would love to just jump to the second week, but I'm going to stick with week one just to make sure!

• BrendaD1123 Rookie 9 posts since
    Jul 14, 2008

Count me in too!  I just started the C25K yesterday and as another poster said, it totally kicked my butt, lol!  I made it through but it wasn't quite as "easy" as I thought.  I'll be running on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays so Wednesday, July 16 will be day 2 for me.

Glad to have buddies to run with!

• Slowerpace Rookie 9 posts since
    Jul 14, 2008

Today was my first day of the Couch 2 5K.  I've never been one to exercise and I am determined to get myself in shape.  Anyone located in Tulsa, Oklahoma?  I completed my first 20 minutes, but I really had to tell myself I could do this.  Afterwards I did about 15 minutes of Yoga and Strength Training on Wii Fit. 

I do feel more energized today!  At 52 and overweight  I know I need to do more for my health.  It'll be great having Couch 2 5K partners.

Thanks everyone

1 2 3 ... 39 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...