Skip navigation

12329 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2008 6:37 AM by FormerBAM RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 16, 2008 11:00 AM (in response to MCM Ron)
    Re: Sometimes I feel like I don't belong
    MCM Ron wrote:

cplmtz0121 wrote:

Ok, so I'm not Toby or Jimmy who run thousands of miles a week, and I am yet to finish a marathon under 4. But, I still consider myself a marathoner and sometimes I find it hard to identify myself with other folks.

Hey Zeus,  if it makes you feel any better, there are very many of us on this list who have yet to break that 4 hour barrier.  (But I plan on shattering it on Oct 5!)  And unlike other outsiders, we - here on this list - we understand the challenge, the sacrifice, the pain, and the accomplishment!  You, indeed, are a Marathoner!  Good luck in San Antonio!

What marathon are you running on October 5th?  I'll be running the Army Ten Miler that day.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    16. Jul 16, 2008 4:01 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Jimmy D Jarhead wrote:

I am the youngest of 7 you know.

No bullsh!t, Jimmy?  are you really??   

I loved this thread.  I sometimes feel this way too, Jesus.  Even my husband and family think I'm an idiot.  You'd think they would be proud, but I  mostly get ridiculed for running far.  Oh, well, we always belong HERE.  Maybe that's why we spend so much time online... They just don't get it.  but that's okay.  I get it.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    17. Jul 17, 2008 5:47 AM (in response to FormerBAM)
    Jimmy D Jarhead wrote:FormerBAM wrote:

>

> >

>                > I am the youngest of 7 you know.

>                > No bullsh!t, Jimmy? are you really??;)I loved this thread. I sometimes feel this way too, Jesus. Even my husband and family think I'm an idiot. You'd think they would be proud, but I mostly get ridiculed for running far. Oh, well, we always belong HERE. Maybe that's why we spend so much time online... They just don't get it. but that's okay. I get it.

> >                

>

>                

>

>

>                

>

>

>                

>

>                               I am also comfortable in my manhood.

Today the Air Force I work with had a formation run they were required to do****t was a total of a mile and a half in distance and one of the girls that does not know of my running insanity was complaining to me. I was listening and not saying anything and then one of the guys walked up and asked if I was running to work again tomorrow. She found out how far and then snubbed her nose at me after giving me my props. I am totally misunderstood all the time. Many do not realize that I am not too judgemental as long as they don't judge me. It is too bad that so many are judgemental.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    18. Jul 16, 2008 4:31 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

I know that feeling Nita. My family gets on me so much for running. Especially now that I have had the surgery. They think I'm dumb for doing it. So I hide the fact that I do it. Sad, since it is my **** house and I'm the one paying the bills, but I'd rather not deal with it.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    19. Jul 16, 2008 4:49 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Oddly, my family is really happy that I get out and run. They all think it is cool that I do it. My husband likes that it gives us an opportunity to take an occasional weekend trip. Everytime I talk to them they ask me how it is going. I've mentioned this before, but I call my brother every Sat. morning to report in what I've done and ask him if he's gotten out of bed yet. Last Sat. he called me to find out why I hadn't called him yet. (I slept in)

I am sure that I have tried to show an interest in the hobbies of others and asked some pretty stupid questions. That is a pretty funny conversation, Jesus.

Nita, wasn't it your Mom who suggested you run the Army's Marathon because it was only 10 miles? LOL!

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,390 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    20. Jul 16, 2008 5:16 PM (in response to FLKaren)

I guess I'm another oddball here, because my family and friends all have some understanding of long distance running. They wouldn't do it themselves, but they don't give me a hard time about it either.

Len

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    21. Jul 16, 2008 5:26 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

I'm so happy that Bill completely supports my insanity.  He runs some, every couple of weeks 5 miles or so, but he's completely behind my running.  I guess he doesn't mind the occasional weekend away from home.

• badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    22. Jul 16, 2008 5:27 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

First, I haven't even run a marathon yet, so do I still belong?

Second, most of my family and friends think it's cool that I'm training for one. Although my one guy friend I thought would be the most supportive/excited since he's a runner and runs marathons wasn't. I told him I was just planning on running to finish and hopefully that would be under 5 hours and he looked at me and said "I can't imagine running for that long." (In a very condescending tone). I stopped talking to him about my running after that comment.

Although no matter the length of my run, whenever my mom asks how far I have to run on a certain day, whether its 5 or 10 or more, she goes "Well, that's really far, I don't know if you should do that". I keep reminding her that come October 26th I'll be running 26.2 miles.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    23. Jul 16, 2008 5:36 PM (in response to badgergrl)

Shell, not only do you belong, you're here and staying.  And your guy friend, he needs lessons.  Your mom, I can understand, we don't want our kids to hurt themselves.  I remember when my daughter and son-in-law were training for a marathon, I remember them talking about a 20 miler, and I just about dropped.  But you know how proud we are of our children after an accomplishment like a marathon.

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    24. Jul 16, 2008 7:26 PM (in response to cplmtz0121)

My baseball team is a bit ticked because I sometimes go to games after running 12-14 miles or miss games due to races.  My wife swears if I mention marathon one more time, she'll kill me (we're not getting along anyway).  My work is impeding on my training.  My poor labrador retriever wants to go with me every day but he's twelve and it's hot.

But I go.  I have a goal.  And I'm taking you guys with me.

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    25. Jul 16, 2008 8:58 PM (in response to RunnerWags)

TowsonRunner wrote:

My baseball team is a bit ticked because I sometimes go to games after running 12-14 miles or miss games due to races. My wife swears if I mention marathon one more time, she'll kill me (we're not getting along anyway). My work is impeding on my training. My poor labrador retriever wants to go with me every day but he's twelve and it's hot.

But I go. I have a goal. And I'm taking you guys with me.

I feel your pain.  I'm with you on every run.  Lunatics unite.

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    26. Jul 17, 2008 6:24 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Jimmy D Jarhead wrote:

|I am totally misunderstood all the time. Many do not realize that I am not too judgemental as long as they don't judge me. It is too bad that so many are judgemental.

Jimmy|

EDIT: Thanks, Jimmy

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    27. Jul 17, 2008 5:50 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

I edited mine but it did not show up edited under yours.  if you can edit mine under yours.  Sorry about that.

jimmy

"When your wrong say your wrong.  And I was wrong"

This place is like home!!!!

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    28. Jul 17, 2008 5:56 AM (in response to Immer treu)

Immer treu wrote:

He represented Kenya at the Seoul Olympics in 1988 and won the silver medal in the marathon. He won London in 1989 and NYC in 1990. The quote comes from an interview in which his frustration with clueless reporter questions got the better of him, ironically becoming one of the great marathon quotations.

Thanks for the background.  I think I may have read about him or the quote recently in Runner's World.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    29. Jul 17, 2008 6:00 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

The Wineglass Marathon.  Upstate New York.  Point to point, finishing in Corning.  Fast!

http://wineglassmarathon.com/site4.aspx

I believe Cobweb and/or Gwen are running it, too.  Anyone else?

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...