Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1443 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 19, 2008 3:52 PM by lenzlaw RSS
Joseph Vias Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2008 12:24 PM

Lower Leg issues.

I am having a problem with my legs for the past year.  It has become such an issue that I can no long do a full triathlon by myself, but need to get someone to do the running for me.  First off I run on my toes without stretching.  This is the only way for me to run because if I run heel toe or stretch before I run I get shin splint like pains.  After I run for a while and slow down my calves lock up because I didn't stretch them and I have to walk off the pain and boing there comes the shin splints.  I am clueless what to do, I can't stretch so that I don't lock up my calves during the run because of it causing almost immediate shin splint as I start the run.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 19, 2008 3:52 PM (in response to Joseph Vias)
    Re: Lower Leg issues.
    Joseph Vias wrote:

I am having a problem with my legs for the past year. It has become such an issue that I can no long do a full triathlon by myself, but need to get someone to do the running for me. First off I run on my toes without stretching. This is the only way for me to run because if I run heel toe or stretch before I run I get shin splint like pains. After I run for a while and slow down my calves lock up because I didn't stretch them and I have to walk off the pain and boing there comes the shin splints. I am clueless what to do, I can't stretch so that I don't lock up my calves during the run because of it causing almost immediate shin splint as I start the run.

Running on your toes puts most of the stress on the calf muscles. That's probably why the shins don't bother you and it is certainly why the calves do, rather than the lack of stretching. Do you have the same problem on your training runs? Here is a good site with exercises for shin splints.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161.htm

I have been doing the "Wall Shin Raises" with great success. Try the exercises for several weeks. If they work, you're golden. But . . . you may not have shin splints. The almost instant shin pain sounds more like compartment syndrome. If the exercises don't help, see a doctor.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...