Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2529 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2008 6:33 AM by runbudrun RSS
runbudrun Rookie 7 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 29, 2008 12:44 PM

do replenishment drinks/gels help in a 10K race?

Is the duration too short?  I'm running in a 7 mile race in two weeks and usually train carrying a water bottle only. And take a small sip every so often as I run.

Will and "ADE" drink help any and if so which is your favorite?  Or which GEL would you suggest?

Thanks,

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jul 29, 2008 6:41 PM (in response to runbudrun)
    Re: do replenishment drinks/gels help in a 10K race?

You would normally take only water in this short a race.  Though something like Gatorade won't hurt, your body doesn't really have enough time to digest and make use of the nutrients during the race.  It may be some benefit to take sports drink or energy gel shortly before the race.  Just watch how much you take so you don't get an upset stomach.  I personally don't have a preference on gels or drinks.

Len

Len

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jul 30, 2008 6:22 AM (in response to runbudrun)
    Re: do replenishment drinks/gels help in a 10K race?

Unless the race is going to take you significantly more than an hour, you should not need to consume fuel or fluids during the event.  I wouldn't even take water, it will just weigh you down.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...