Skip navigation

3046 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2008 10:32 AM by Lagnar RSS
avbiro Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 9, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 30, 2008 1:13 PM

Swim Drills

I just purchased the LA Tri workout schedule. I am new to all the swim drills and wanted to see if there was a breakdown with more detailed instruction. Below is just one of the drills I was told to do.

Instructions:

Descending swim times from 3 minutes to 30 seconds. Warm up on the first two. Start with 200 yards.

Coach's Notes:

After the first swim, you go again on 3 minutes, then on 2:55, 2:50, 2:40, etc. down to 30 seconds. Continue to swim the distance you start with until you come in with less than 10 seconds rest, then drop 25 or 50 yards. Stay on the timed interval. If you need more rest, drop the distance and recover while swimming.

• Lagnar Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    1. Aug 6, 2008 7:52 PM (in response to avbiro)
    Re: Swim Drills

You have to do a lot of calculating (counting lengths and watching a clock) especially if you are new.  Think of it as a descending latter.  This is a long swim (43m) once again if you are new.   As I read it:

For example: You swim 200 yards in 2:45.  You would rest until 3m then start again.  You start again, but this time you only have 2:55 to complete the 200.  Continuing with the example.  The second one you finish in 2:45 again.  You start for the 3rd time but you only have 2:50 to complete the 200, but since you are doing it in 2:45, you will have less then 10s rest for you should probably only swim 175 yards.

• april hince Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 5, 2008
    2. Aug 19, 2008 12:48 PM (in response to Lagnar)

I'd like to piggy back on the swim drill questions...I signed up for the 20 week Half Iron training plan and the information below is what is written in the Coaches Note section.

What is a Pull set?  It wasn't defined nor was it included in their swim drills.   What is a Kick set?   What is a Swim set?   What does it mean when "100, 200, 300 yards" are written.  Does this mean that I do a 100 yard set, take a break and then do a 200 yard set followed by a break, etc?

• Lagnar Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    3. Aug 20, 2008 10:32 AM (in response to april hince)

This is from http://www.mvm.org/workouts-drills.php 

Drills Common to All Strokes

Kicking:  Kicking without a kickboard will allow you to perform your kick in the same body position of the stroke. Kicking with a kickboard will allow you to get to know your lane mates.

For freestyle, kick on your side with your bottom arm (the one closer to the bottom of the pool) extended straight out of your shoulder line before your head. Keep your palm facing down and your extended hand about 8 inches under water. The top arm (the one on the surface of the water) should be relaxed at your side with your had on your hip and out of the water. Maintain a head position as though you were swimming freestyle, with your head in line with your spine. Press your arm pit toward the pool bottom to get your hip at the surface of the water. Your extended arm should feel weightless.

Pulling is when you focus on engaging your lats, when doing a pulling drill you will most likley not be kicking.

A set is part of a work out.  e.g.

Warm up 500 yards easy.

Drill (set):  10x100 pull with 10 seconds rest between each 100

Main set (swim): latter swim 100, 200, 300, 200, 100 with 15 seconds rest between each distance

Drill set (kick): 10x50 hard with 10 seconds rest between each 50

Cool down: easy 250

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points