Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14625 Views 137 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2008 7:44 AM by ksrunr RSS 1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 2, 2008 7:24 AM

50 Plus Training and Racing - August

Friday - 15 @ around 7:40, ( 4 with Bill ), 71F and 78%

Saturday

AM  60 minutes @ 69F and lower humidity

25 minute warmup, 700-400-400-200 with a 5 minute jog recovery, warmdown

Medial quad and hamstring machines for chondro in left knee.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Aug 2, 2008 4:07 PM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - August

Last evening was last I heard anything about Ribs.  Seems he was have to 'bouts of bleeding and had to receive some blood to replenish supplies.  Were considering going back in to find out the problem but seems to have stopped.  They were removing more and more machines, tubes, etc. so that was a plus.  Dr. told him he would feel worse today and even worse Sunday but then he should start feeling a rebound and gradually then better.

Ran only 7 of 10 planned Fri. morning.  Took Saturday off and still met my weekly mileage goal.   Taking Sunday off as well and then starting back up Monday.

Leave for Ft. Worth TX Thursday morning as my son gets married Sat. afternoon.   First marriage for him and first of our children to be married. 

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Aug 3, 2008 6:33 AM (in response to ksrunr)

I know open heart surgery is common stuff these days, but still must be an ordeal to go through.  Wishing Spareribs the best.

My resting heart rate was up about 10 beats last Thursday so I took Thursday and Friday off.  Saturday morning it was still up about 6 beats so I ran an easy 2 miles.

Sunday,

Resting heart still up about 6 beats, so 7 miles easy today.  Not sure how to proceed other than to run easy and wait to recover.  This isn't the way to run with less than a month to go before my half marathon, but not much else to do I'm afraid.

ksrunr, congrats. on your new daughter.

Nice run Fred...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Aug 14, 2007
    4. Aug 3, 2008 11:27 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Yes Fred that was a nice run.

Congrats Raider!

Easy Rich

I have taken 2 days off in a row.   It will put me behind this weeks mileage but I think well worth missing a few miles.  Have a 13 and a 20 planned this week.  And am going to run a 5k race Thurs nite in Ft. Worth rather than a 5 mile tempo run.  I think that will even out.

Ribs sat in a chair yesterday for a bit and ate his first real meal since the surgery.  This caused some pain later but had the problem under control before the"saint" (Mrs Ribs) went home at 10 PM.  I think ol ribs is going thru and ordeal.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Aug 3, 2008 1:25 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Hi guys,

Good to hear that Ribs was able to sit up even if it was painful (easy for me to say). Hopefully things will  start improving tomorrow as predicted.  Hang in there ol' buddy.

I also had to take a day off---no running Friday due to a mild groin pull. I came back to run an easy 16 yesterday and the discomfort was minimal. However it was back stronger this morning. I tried a couple on the grass, hoping I'd warm out of it, but gave up when it wasn't improving. I did a half hour on eliptical after that without feeling any pain. Training has been going well otherwise.

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 3, 2008 4:27 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Jim

There is no such thing as an easy 16 miles.  A groin injury has to be respected early on or it will become constant.

I hate to hear that you are injured {{{BUT JIM}}}, said Spock, {{{Try to be logical}}}

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Aug 3, 2008 7:45 PM (in response to Sun Raider)

Thanks Captain;

No problem. I've had this one before--more a case of soreness than a real pull. I'll be fine by Tues and maybe even tomorow. If not there's always the eliptical.

Me not logical.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    8. Aug 4, 2008 3:53 AM (in response to Jim24315)

I need to go back and catch up on all your antics, but I do want to wish Ribs a speedy recovery.

I've been thinking about our maturing bodies in terms of  engine or chassis.  I think we need to start treating them like classic cars taking them out them on special days, doing more maintenance, refrain from burning too much rubber, etc.  I think my chassis is going first, but I have a good body shop I'll continue to use as needed.

Jim, I'm not a fan of taking very much.  After a 50 mile hilly and pushing it ride on Saturday I found myself very sore in my trouble areas.  I took one Motrin and got lots of rest that evening.   I woke up with tired legs, but was able to complete a 65 mile ride the next day.  No pain, just a little stiff this morning. 

Rich, last summer I reached a point where, while driving, I had to say "Red light.  Stop."  I also had a constant fever blister to the point of a now permanent scar.  Fred mentioned over training and the need for recovery in his very subtle way.  I also had trouble sleeping and would wake up with my heart racing.  Maybe you need to think about the intensity of your training and the number of races you are doing.  That's just a FWIW from the least experienced person here.

Aug 14, 2007
    11. Aug 4, 2008 7:58 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi Euphoric - good to see you checking in from time to time

Fred - raw vegetables make us fast?  

After 2 days off I ran 6 slow miles with dw this morning.  Neither of her training partners showed and I don't like dw to run alone.   So basically recovery miles for me and that's ok.  Will run again tonight.   I am really looking forward to racing in Ft. Worth Thursday nite in a local 5k.  This race is held every Thurs nite and has been weather permitting for 26 years.   Several runners my caliber and a bit faster; so I secretly hope to run a master's pr.  This is an out and back course on an asphalt bike trail is is flat as my computer screen.  On draw back is that temps in Dallas have been in triple digits.  Race however starts at 7:30 p.m. so won't be too bad.

Ribs has been up walking a bit.  Still very sore.  May remove chest tubes today.  Progress is slow but sure after a couple set backs.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    12. Aug 4, 2008 3:11 PM (in response to ksrunr)

I don't know why my resting heart rate is up.  They say it's caused by overtraining or your body fighting off an illness.  I had a cold and fever for a few days, but I've also been racing and training and not recovering like I should.  Probably a combination of everything.

Monday,

Set out to run 7 easy, but cut it to 5 once I got underway.  Heart rate was better this morning, up just slightly, but still no zip.

Euphoric, I apreciate your FWIW's.

ks, what would be a 5K pr for you?

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Aug 14, 2007
    13. Aug 4, 2008 3:51 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich - my master's pr for the 5k is 18:36 set late last fall.   It was done on all marathon training and lots of miles (very little if any true speed work).  I think after my 1st Boston next spring I'll use the base to work on speed and see if I can get that down into the 17's and a 37:xx  10K.   Running out of time I'm afraid so I need to get after it soon.

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Aug 5, 2008 6:55 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

The cold, fever and higher heart rate are all  big warnings. You are probably over training.

1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...