Skip navigation

11688 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2009 2:50 PM by mmoran32 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 7, 2008 9:27 AM

Protect your hair

This summer, how to protect your hair from the summer weather and spending too much time in the pool is important.  One way I know of to protect your hair is by wetting it down with fresh water before diving in. It’s a simple way to stop the hair from absorbing the damaging chemical chlorine. Clearly, a swim cap would work too but we don't always have one on hand.

Do you have any other ways to protect your hair from the summer months?

• runforcharity Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 10, 2008
    1. Aug 10, 2008 11:28 AM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Protect your hair

I had same concern. Later I was told to add a little hair conditioner to wet hair and cover with cap- amazingly it helps!

• alanae Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    3. Aug 20, 2008 10:24 AM (in response to saraallent)

i swear by coconut oil... i have two girls 7 and 5 yrs old with long hair... not to mention myself.. i coat all our hair before it gets wet and braid it... its almost like getting a hot oil treatment!

Aug 20, 2008
    5. Aug 20, 2008 11:50 AM (in response to saraallent)

i find mine at the grocery store... i believe "spectrum" makes it... it DOES make your hair a little slimey... which is why i usually braid it after, but if you had a swim cap on, it wouldn't matter... then when we're done we wash with a chlorine shampoo and throw some regular conditioner in and ta da!

the coconut oil is solid but scoop some out and rub it in your palms and the heat of your hands will make it liquid.

i guess the theroy behind it is that your hair is porous and will absorb things like chorine which will damage it... so give it something else to absorb before you get in the pool and it should help... sometimes even regular tap water is better than nothing!

Aug 10, 2008
    6. Aug 20, 2008 12:01 PM (in response to alanae)

I forgot to mention earlier that I also use ION Swimmer's shampoo and conditioner. They can be purchased at the Sally Beauty Supply.

It really helps protect my hair from sun damage, chlorine and brittle hair.

I still add conditioner before I hop into the pool and then I use ION. More protection. I should also check out coconut oil. =)

Aug 20, 2008
    7. Aug 20, 2008 12:04 PM (in response to runforcharity)

love sallys!!

i'll have to check out the ION swim shampoo i'm always looking for a good swim shampoo that's easy to find (ie. don't have to special order on the internet)

usually i use ultra swim but can only find the shampoo at the local target and have to order the conditoner online... ugh

thanks!

• mike@active Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008
    8. Aug 27, 2008 1:37 PM (in response to saraallent)

In high school I played water polo and swam competitively... close to 5 hours a day in the water for those 4 years! 

Somehow we learned that getting your hair wet with non-chlorinated water before jumping in the pool helped it not to absorb the chlorine.

• Coachhadley Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 16, 2008
    9. Nov 16, 2008 3:10 PM (in response to saraallent)

Ultra Swim (made by chattem)  - I have used it for years and its the only thing that keeps my hair soft and not like straw. I recommend it to all of my swimmers.

• Carrie Mallen Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    10. Nov 18, 2008 7:14 AM (in response to saraallent)

I use the "wet your hair technique" and a silicone cap.  I have long hair so it does not always fit and my ends are trashed. I also am an open water swimmer. Any suggestions on treatment or product for salt water exposure?

Attachments:
  • Paige Moortgat Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 28, 2008
    11. Nov 18, 2008 10:01 AM (in response to saraallent)

Matrix biolage sunsorials Protective Hair Oil is good.  You put it on your hair before your cap (which goes on easiera0 and it helps protect your hair plus for us 40 somethings it protects our color treated hair:)  the negative is you have to special order.

• Paige Moortgat Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 28, 2008
    12. Nov 18, 2008 10:02 AM (in response to saraallent)

Matrix biolage sunsorials Protective Hair Oil is good. You put it on your hair before your cap (which goes on easiera0 and it helps protect your hair plus for us 40 somethings it protects our color treated hair:) the negative is you have to special order.

• mickster2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 6, 2009
    13. Jan 6, 2009 3:53 PM (in response to Carrie Mallen)

My ends used to fry.  Now I tie up my hair and tuck the ends well inside a lycra cap, then put a silicone cap over top.  If I pull the silicone cap down about 1" past the lycra cap edges, it creates a seal against my skin that only a little water gets in.  If I wet my hair with water first, this seems to work best.

Aug 10, 2008
    14. Jan 6, 2009 4:41 PM (in response to mickster2)

That is a good idea! I have a long hair and I tend to wet my hair, put conditioner then braid my hair first then put cap over but using two caps is wise! I should try that. Thank you!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points