Skip navigation

16673 Views 123 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2008 8:44 PM by MiNena RSS 1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next
endurovet Pro 65 posts since
Aug 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 13, 2008 12:36 PM

Newbies to SA RNR Half-Marathon...

I am starting this thread for any new runners going to the inaugural RNR half-marathon in San Antonio on 11/16/08.

I haven't done a half in almost two years by the time this event rolls around, so I want to do a better job of training properly so it's not such an "exercise in pain"...

Val

• PalaciosPaul Pro 81 posts since
    Mar 12, 2008
    1. Aug 21, 2008 8:10 AM (in response to endurovet)
    Re: Newbies to SA RNR Half-Marathon...

Hi Val.  I'm registered to run both the Tx med Clinic half on Oct. 11 and the RNR half on Nov 16.  This will be my first and second half marathons, having only started running last November.  My original goal was to run the Chevron Houston half with some of my co-workers in January 2009; but, unfortunately, I waited until the beginning of August to try to register--and got shut out!  Live and learn, I guess.

I do enjoy visiting San Antonio, though, and am starting to get psyched about the upcoming races--especially the RNR.

Paul

Mar 12, 2008
    3. Aug 25, 2008 2:18 PM (in response to endurovet)

Good job on your training week.

But I would definitely get the footwear issue corrected ASAP. You don't want to risk an injury, which could sideline you and impact your training schedule.

I lost a couple of weeks in July due to a cycling wipeout. (I hit a dog, bruising some ribs and turning one elbow into just so much stitched pizza!)

My own training this week didn't finish so well, owing to the heat. My planned long run on Friday fell short. I guess I got spoiled by the cooler (but wet) weather during my regular 5AM runs in the first half of the week, and I let my self sleep a bit too late Friday morning. By the time I started at nearly 8AM, the heat and humidity already felt jungle-like; I was drenched and exhausted after a little more than four miles. I probably should have tried again early Saturday, but was reluctant to give up my bicycle riding day.

Paul

Mar 12, 2008
    5. Aug 27, 2008 10:53 AM (in response to endurovet)

Yes, I've recovered fully, thank you. I can now breathe deeply, roll over in bed, cough, and even sneeze--without pain again. Having cracked a rib yourself, I guess you know what I'm talking about.

It doesn't sound like the extra day off hurt you--and kids do come first.  With one daughter out of the nest already, I really appreciate even more now the time spent with the one remaining.  As for my training, I got an easy six miles in yesterday and a moderately-paced five in today.  I had to get it done early to allow time to drive to downtown Houston (a bit over one hundred miles away) for my first day of Federal Grand Jury duty.

Good luck on your road bike bidding.  I just took my road bike off of the wall and started cycling again for cross-training earlier this year. It had been hanging there so long (almost 20 years), that it is now considered a "vintage" bike.  When I brought it into the bike shop, the kid there said "Dude! That's a Bridgestone!  Those are hard to find."

An MS-150 ride. I'd like to participate in one of those--someday.  Right now, the half is all I can handle.

Paul

Mar 12, 2008
    7. Aug 28, 2008 10:58 AM (in response to endurovet)

Yep! Now you've got to ride it regularly, to justify the purchase. And you'll need new riding clothes--at least a new jersey; you can't ride a new (to you) bike with the same old outfit. You've got to color coordinate with the new bike, to be stylin' when you "hit the street" (speaking figuratively ).

It can be tricky to maintain a training schedule around work and family.  I work a 4-10's (Mon-Thur) schedule, which I love. The three day weekends every week are nice; but, with the longer work days, the normal daily errands and family time, evening workouts were tough to consistently get in.  That's why I went to the 4AM wakeups (for a 5AM runto allow time for caffeine to work its magic and to get in some strength training). I like having the house, and the road, to myself.  The only downside is having to run in the dark. living in the country (with no street lights), I have to keep an eye out for critters. Last week, I nearly tripped over a possum (I thinkor a very fat, grey cat) and, last spring, I had to (carefully) contend with a family of skunks living near the road back.

I did, very briefly, add evening runs on top of my morning runs, back in January. It was about the time that I lost the first couple of inches off of my waist and I figured that, if running once a day was good, running twice (the same distance again) would be twice as good.  However, my knees quickly told me that such a step increase was a very bad idea; in fact, they were very vocal on the subject, and I had to take a few days off to placate them.

No, you guessed wrong.  I live in an unincorporated area of Matagorda County, 13 miles from the small coastal town of Palacios, and 20 miles from the booming metropolis of Bay City. Your locale sounds ideal; I wish I was within 35 miles of Houston; it would save me the long drives, both for my monthly grand jury duty as well as for Houston Symphony concerts. (We have season tickets.)  But working at a nuclear power plant, I have to expect to be located a good distance from a major population center.

Paul

Mar 12, 2008
    8. Aug 29, 2008 6:30 AM (in response to endurovet)

A Training Update:  I took yesterday off, resting for a long run today.  Actually, I intended to get a short bike ride in yesterday evening, but one of the afforementioned family things (providing transportation for a re-scheduled piano lesson in town) prevented it.

It's just as well.  The rest probably did me good.  I was a little apprehensive after last week's aborted long run (due to the heat).  But this time I got up at my usual 4AM rather than sleeping late. I tried a couple of other new things as well. First, I wore one of those LED headlamps.  While it probably looked silly, it allowed me to see clearly the road ahead and step confidently rather than gingerly, as I often do initially. And it was interesting to see the number of pairs of critter eyes reflecting back at me in the brush along the road.

Another thing I tried was so-called "sport beans". I had once previously tried consuming half of a gel pack after about six miles on a long run, but had a nasty insulin spike reaction followed by a precipitous blood sugar drop (dizzy, lightheaded, etc.) that ended my run a couple of miles early.  Today, I just put one bean in my mouth about every mile and a half after the first 5. Then I would just slowly suck on it till it was down to a small jelly (rather than chewing it up and quickly swallowing).  It seemed to work well for me, releasing slowly throughout my run rather than spiking, and my energy level was good all of the way through. It may have helped that the beans also had caffeine (since I've already confessed my morning addiction).

Anyways, I did eleven miles today and felt that I could easily have finished a half. I kept a pretty easy pace (a bit under 10 min/mile) since I wanted to rebuild my confidence from last week. On that basis, I'd have to call today a success since I feel pretty good about the race now.

Paul

Mar 12, 2008
    10. Aug 30, 2008 7:36 AM (in response to endurovet)

I'll take your word for it regarding riding.  I haven't been on a horse since summer camp in Southern California (a loooong time ago).  It didn't seem like work then; but then again, neither did running or riding a bicycle.

My bike still had its original toe-clips installed when I started riding again.  It was nice being able to wear regular shoes, but eventually the tops of my toes started getting sore as my pedalling improved.  Not having a truly "local" bicycle shop and, being the frugal type, I bought some clipless pedals and shoes online from Nashbar, which worked out very well.  Even though it's been several months since I went clipless, I still have bruises under both big

toe-nails that haven't grown out yet.  I probably wasn't cinching the straps

tightly enough.

And yes, shortly after switching, I went through the slow-motion crash thing once where you fall over with your feet stuck in the clips.  I'm not sure if my neighbor was looking out the window at the time, but, if so, I'm sure he got a good laugh.

One quick tire/tube "plug".  I  don't know what the roads are like where you ride, but out here, our Farm-to-market roads are very rough.  I grew tired of frequently changing flats, so I switched to Slime tubes (or rather, Nashbar knock-offs) and Continental Ultra Gatorskin tires.  I don't know whether to credit the tubes or the tires, but I haven't had a flat over the course of several months since the switch.

Paul

Mar 12, 2008
    12. Aug 31, 2008 5:18 PM (in response to endurovet)

Sorry that your ride was cut short.  Is this the same colt that gave you the broken rib?

I agree that it was miserably hot and humid yesterday.  I went on my usual bike ride into Bay City and back (~45 mi).  But I think I underestimated just how much the long run took out of me on Friday morning.  Between that, the heat, and a late Friday night (high school football), it was a tough ride.  Allowing for the heat and some fatigue, I kept an easy pace, and had no trouble on the ride into and around town.  I made my usual stop at the local coffee bar on the way out of town for an octane boost for the return trip. That carried me most of the way back, but I had a very difficult time making the last six or eight miles.  Even though I was close to home, it just felt like there was nothing left in the tank.  Fortunately, I had a gel pack (or, more accurately half a gel pack--it had opened) in the bottom of my saddle bag.  So I downed that with some water and took 15 by the side of the road before resuming my ride.

Today I was dog-tired and sore--and took a rest day.  Usually I do a quick 25 mile ride to Palacios and back after afternoon services Sunday, but not today.  I think I'm going to have to adjust my cycling cross-training schedule a bit.

Back to the regular run schedule tomorrow, Gustav permitting. And maybe a short ride, with the extra time the holiday affords.

Paul

Mar 12, 2008
    14. Sep 2, 2008 9:02 AM (in response to endurovet)

Labor day still felt somewhat like a recovery day for me.  I stayed up till 2AM the night before, monitoring Gustav (though it never strayed the slightest from its projected path) and slept in till after 7 as a result.   Of course by the time I ran at 9, it was plenty warm and I was still tired so I only put in an easy-paced four miles.

In the afternoon, I got in a 25 mile "training" bicycle ride to Palacios and back.  The training, in this case, was for some dogs along my route.  There are three large dogs that, for a while, would literally try to herd me off of the road.  One would run just ahead of me while the others ran on either side of me; then the lead dog would begin slowing down.  Since hitting a dog (a different one), I  have become much more assertive in dealing with dogs and have begun carrying a small can of pepper spray.  Many of the dogs that previously chased me backed off when I began slowing down and confronting them directly (with the pepper spray, when necessary) but some have persisted.  While in Houston last week, I picked up a really LARGE can of pepper spray (labelled "Bear Repellent") on a suggestion from a co-worker/fellow cyclist. 

This was my first chance to test it.  As I approached the property where the "bike herders" originate, they began running towards me from the house (which is a couple of hundred yards off of the road).  When I slowed to a crawl and pulled the big can out of a water bottle cage, two of the dogs stopped short;  but one (the lead, I think) just kept coming out into the road.  I aimed the can in the dog's general direction and gave it one quick blast, instantly enveloping the dog in a large, red cloud.  It apparently did the job--I continued on down the road, but the dog sure didn't.  And when I passed by a half hour later on the return trip, the dogs, which were back at the house, didn't even get up, much less chase me.

Now I just have to "train"  a couple of the dogs on my Bay City ride route.  Maybe next weekend.

This morning, my energy level was back to normal for the first time since my last long run.  I ran five miles at a moderate pace. 

Paul  

1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...