Skip navigation

3767 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 12:42 PM by adamheimann RSS
SportsGrl21 Amateur 23 posts since
Apr 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 19, 2008 1:48 PM

Back Pain and Yoga

I have found yoga to be really helpful with back pain. Anyone else? What are some poses you find helpful?

• grannyof1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    1. Apr 20, 2009 8:40 AM (in response to SportsGrl21)
    Re: Back Pain and Yoga

I love yoga for my back.  I have piriformis(?) injury so the side bends and warrior poses I have to be careful in getting back up but I find wide stance downward dog is very helpful.

• sgunder2 Pro 96 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    2. Jun 23, 2009 9:04 PM (in response to SportsGrl21)

i dont necessarily have back pain, but there are some poses that really stretch out the spine, and i love that feeling. one of the best feelings is when you just hang down with your hands near or touching the floor, and release all the tension in your back. you can clasp your elbows so that all of your weight pulls the spine open even more, and i usually get a crack in my back when i do this. shake your head yes and no in this position, and it releases the tension in the neck and shoulders too.

cat cows (on the floor, hands over shoulders, hips over knees, tops of the feet on the floor) are also great for your back. i love the feeling of how it stretches my shoulders in the cat position (making an upside down u-shape, sticking your butt out and looking up at the sky - push your hands deep into the ground), and stretches the lower back in the cow position by making your back into a u-shape, still pushing your hands into the ground.

there is also a pose called happy baby, where you lay on your back and grab your big toes with your hands, your knees should be bent a bit. i find that this pose really releases my lower back and can even hurt for a second before it releases, if my lower back is particularly tight that day.

good luck to you.

Week 5 of One Hour Runner Complete!

I am training for a yet-to-be-determined Triathlon

• jonathanroberts24 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 24, 2012
    3. Jan 24, 2012 7:33 AM (in response to sgunder2)
    Back Pain and Yoga

I think yoga helps with back problems by virtue of the fact that we tend to work our core and that tends to promote better posture. I don't slump at my desk so much since taking up yoga a few months ago. Now to find a solution to stretched hamstring pains!

I am interested in dieting and maintaining a fit and healthy lifestyle. From a high of 15st4lbs I am now 11st10lbs.

My lifestyle is quite sedantary as I write website company reviews of poker sites for a poker blog. Main forms of exercise are swimming, walking, football and squash.

• RRThompson Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012
    4. Feb 1, 2012 1:59 AM (in response to SportsGrl21)
    Back Pain and Yoga

Check this yoga poses specifically for back pain.  I love bow and camel pose, the back stretch releases tension and promotes relaxation.

• bawika Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 27, 2012
    5. Apr 2, 2012 3:24 AM (in response to RRThompson)

besides yoga poses i use yoga breathing up and down my spine to relax my back. it works really well!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Drakensang Online and else

• adamheimann Legend 523 posts since
    Apr 17, 2013
    6. Apr 22, 2013 12:42 PM (in response to SportsGrl21)
    Back Pain and Yoga

I really like Child Pose to help with my back issues. I also find that the correct workout apparel really helps when I do yoga to help me stay really flexabile (http://expertbrand.com) has really great stuff that I love. The most important thing I try to remember to do is stretch before yoga!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points