Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2595 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2008 5:34 PM by ragamuffinruns RSS
corryyy Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 20, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 20, 2008 10:13 AM

i need motivation and i have trouble breathing...

i just started running and i have already lost motivation. when i'm running i always forget all the reasons im running(to lose weight). i need to get over the mental aspect any tips? MY second problem is i ALWAYS run out of breath in the first two seconds! any suggestions to help my breathing?

• jaymacsigtau Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 1, 2008
    1. Aug 20, 2008 11:10 AM (in response to corryyy)
    Re: i need motivation and i have trouble breathing...

Hey Corry.  I'm no expert but I can make a couple of suggestions and hopefully give you some encouragement.  I just stated running again a couple months ago and it was really tough when I first started out.  My only advice would be to slow down your runs and mix in some walking.  Try to jog for a couple minutes then walk for a couple minutes and repeat.  Gradually you'll be able to run farther and farther between your walks.

Since you're just starting out, don't pay too much atention to the time and distance of your workouts.  The main thing to focus on is that you're getting out there and doing something good for yourself.  If you over do it, you'll just get sore and possibly injured.  If you take it slow, I'm sure you'll start to see gradual improvements and that's where the motivation comes from.  I'll never be able to run as far or as fast as some other people but if I can run just a little farther and faster than I did the month before, that's good enough for me. 

Oh, and don't worry about being out of breath.  It happens to everyone.  take it easy on yourself,  take it slow, and don't give up!!   

• Timt423 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 23, 2008
    2. Aug 20, 2008 1:00 PM (in response to corryyy)

Corryyy,

I'm with Jay on this one. Pace yourself to start off with. When I started back I followed the "Body for Life" interval training guidlines. Start slowly for 2 minutes to warm up, pick up the pace in minute increments for 4 minutes then drop it back down to your second level, repeat for 20 minutes. Also a great diet program in that book I have dropped over 100lbs and still going. As far as the motivation part that has to come from within. Set a goal or a series of small goals. Mine was to complete a triathlon and despite taking a short detour due to Hodgkins Lymphoma I completed one in May and have a second one coming up in Septmember. Using an Ipod helps at times. One thing that worked for me was taking new routes on every run. It gave me a chance to explore new areas and scenery. If you can find someone to train with that is also a help. Good luck.

• carri2008 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008

I just wanted to let you know that the breathing thing is what scared me from running in the first place.  I have been running for just over 6 weeks now and am training for a half, which is in just 17 days.  So I am new at all of this.  But this is what I know so far.  After a few minutes or so my breathing gets under control, I try not to focus on how much or fast I am breathing, but on just running.  Now I know there are all kinds of runners out there.  For example:  My friend who got me in this running thing told me to by this GPS thingy for running.  What?  It'll tell me how much I sweat at what speed I ran what direction I ran etc. etc.  Now I, and I run for me because last year I was to busy in a deep depression to move off of my bed.  I may nnot be the quickest, coolest, thinnest, cutest or most fun to watch when running( sorry for all of those that had to witness me pulling my shorts out of my $#$) but I am running, hear me roar.  Last week I was having these horrible headaches and only ran 1 day.  Boy did I feel that on Monday.  My body felt betrayed.  Like I have read on this site before.  Running is not easy, but take it one step at a time. Don't be so hard on yourself.  Good Luck to you and don't give up.  Carri 

• islandgirl7467 Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    4. Aug 20, 2008 3:18 PM (in response to corryyy)

I'm not runner, l mostly walking. Some people do better when they have a goal working towards. My co-workers  have relay teams every year that do the Frederick and Baltimore Marathon...plus some others. I did do a leg in the Frederick three years ago, and was suppose to do the Baltimore the same year but I chicken out  , and put someone else in my space. This year though, I'm motivated, I've lost quit a bit of weight so I'm trying to be more physical. This summer I started power walking at a high school track, five laps at first then ten. I'm off the track now and have taken it to the streets, getting ready for the Marathon in October. Now I'm running for few mins then walk a few. I know I'll have the slowest time of my teammates come Oct. 11, but I'm not worried about that. It feels so wonderful coming home after a session.  If you're interested, check with a friend and sign up for the 5k. You don't have to run, you go at your own pace. This could be something to work towards. Think about it...

• athlete wanna-be Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 16, 2008
    5. Aug 20, 2008 6:18 PM (in response to corryyy)

Please don't give up .... the rewards are plentiful and worth all the hard work ...

I joined a local beginning running group and it really made a difference to have that socializing during the run. We run for a few minutes then walk for a minute (depending on your endurance). But we also get to know each other. It makes me want to go to every session.... I know they will be interested if I'm not there ...

The breathing will increase over time .... when we have a hard time breathing, we take smaller steps (instead of the big strides)... it really helps!

Keep up the good work! In a few weeks, you will be surprised how much stronger and further you can run!

Lisa

• quickpace Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 7, 2008
    6. Aug 20, 2008 9:25 PM (in response to corryyy)

Hey Cory, Don't give up! You have only just started.Remeber even the best runners in the world had to start somewhere. Look at you reasons for running. Losing weight is not always the best motivation to start running, remember that when we begin to exercise we form muscles, so you maynot lose weight when you jump on the scales but you will be forming muscle. Choose a local event something small to start with, maybe a local 5 or 10km fun run, make it your goal to finish. A good friend of mine is a runner and when I decided to start running I was very disheartened that I couldn't run to the end of the street without feeling like I was dying, what he said was run to the first light post then walk to the next light post, then run to the next and so on, the next week try running two light posts and walking one etc. Fitness is something you have to work to achieve but it is worth it for the confidence that it gives you, you feel fantastic when you cross the finish line in your first event. 

Stick with it!!!

• stalley75 Amateur 25 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Aug 20, 2008 10:01 PM (in response to corryyy)

I suggest that you do more fast walking coupled with some light jogging and don't think about what you're unable to do at this point in time.  Cliched as it sounds, taking it day by day or run by run is the best approach, and know that your body will respond to what you ask it to do. Your heart will become better at getting oxygen to your muscles which will lessen fatigue and, and, as important, your will gain much needed strength.  I was a big runner in high school, took ten years off, smoked a pack a day, gained 40 pounds, and tried running again. Like you, I had enormous problems with motivation and was sucking wind after just moments, and so I said screw it and wasted another three years, half heartedly trying to run ever so often.  However, in the last year, I found that, as I said before, a lot of walking and light jogging built the foundation for me to become a serious runner again (and it only took like a month of that before I could run about two miles without walking). Just keep heart and don't dwell on what you can't do. Good luck.

Runners just do it - they run for the finish line even if someone else has reached it first.
  • DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Aug 21, 2008 6:06 AM (in response to corryyy)

If you get out of breath, you're going too fast.  Slow down or walk, if you must.  A beginner should never go so fast that he/she is out of breath.

• cocobean99 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 28, 2008
    9. Aug 23, 2008 8:22 AM (in response to quickpace)

Light  posts!  How funny!  I did the exact same thing.  When I was getting started about 4 months ago I was a slug.  While running, when I would get to the point that I couldn't go any further I would tell myself, "just to the next light post/sign".  Then the next time I ran I would remember the post and promise myself to go past it to the next one and so on.  Now I've graduated from slug to earthworm and I am planning to run my first 10k next weekend!!

• teri dacto Pro 177 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    10. Aug 26, 2008 5:25 PM (in response to corryyy)

Hey Cory,

I'd hate to see you get discouraged with running because it can be such a fun thing.  I don't know how you are approaching running but I think more often than not we try to take on too much and get disheartened when our bodies don't do what we think they should be able to.  Tiny steps will soon turn into something monumental and you'll be amazed at the progress you make.  I would focus on a combination of running and walking at first.  Maybe pick a distance or go for a short time goal.  If you run around a field or on a track or down the road tell yourself that you will jog a particular distance and don't worry about the speed.  Focus on your body feeling comfortable and as the other posters have said it sounds like you are running too hard (sometimes I do find that I breathe harder on the start of a run but then it levels out).  Set larger goals for yourself and write down/log what you do (5k, etc.).  It feels fantabulous when you see over time how much better you are doing with the training.  My motivation?  Cute running outfits   If I do good with my running I will spoil myself with something cute....lol. 

We all start somewhere....when I started in January I was a treadmill runner and it took me an eternity to do a mile (15 minutes plus).  A few months ago I made the leap to running outside and did my first 5k getting a 3rd place medal for my age group (31:47).  Last night I got on the treadmill (bad weather and I knew I had to run) for the first time in months.  I was THRILLED because I could set it at a 9 minute pace and do it without being uncomfortable.  Now my goal is to work on increasing my speed outside).  See....little steps.

Keep coming here, share your progress, and we will help keep you motivated.   Don't quit!!  Good luck!!

• ragamuffinruns Pro 115 posts since
    Jul 17, 2008
    11. Aug 26, 2008 5:34 PM (in response to corryyy)

Jaymac has some good advice!  When I started (to lose weight...) I had the same problem - I thought I was doing good to run 50 feet without feeling like I was going to die!  Interval training does the trick, run only as far as your breath will let you then drop to a walk and walk for at least the same distance you just ran then back to the run again.  I counted my steps and at first I would run 20 walk 40 run 20 then I increased.  I still train that way when I get back into a new run schedule.  i've done two 1/2 marathons and am training for my third (in November) - and I'm an old girl!.  YOU CAN DO THIS!

To God be the glory!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...