Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1338 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2008 2:22 PM by LEBOXC
LEBOXC Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 22, 2008 7:24 AM

Constant "off-days" (being tired)

Right now, I'm in the middle of cross country two-a-days and logging between 70-80 miles a week and I'm having a lot of difficulty nailing my workouts.  Occasionally, I do really well in repeats or tempo runs, running really fast times and doing it with not too much effort.  But more often than not I completely die and cannot even come close to my times.  A couple days ago, I was running mile repeats on my home cross country course, aiming for a relatively easy time of 5:30-5:40.  Instead I came nowhere near those times running a 6:05, a 6:11, and a 6:44, and I had to kill myself just to do that.  Last season, I noticed the same problem, even after doubles were over, during races and workouts.  I've gone to see nutritionists about it and I don't think its my food but here is my daily diet.  It consists of

Medium size bowl of go-lean crunch before practice

Clif bar right after practice

Large bowl of go lean crunch about 30 minutes after running

1 or 2 bagels with peanut butter around 11:30

Ham and cheese sandwich at 1:00

Back for an afternoon run at 3:00

a bagel after that run

Possible a little bit more cereal

Dinner, usually something healthy like fish. steak, pasta, with food group variety

Peanut butter sandwich before bed.

A LOT of water during the day (about 7 or 8 liters)

Always in bed before 11 and get up at 7 the next day

I know that sometimes people have off days and don't preform well but those days seem to come way to often for me, compared to the other runners on my team.  Its a serious problem for me and I don't know what to do.  Can anyone help me?

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 22, 2008 1:11 PM (in response to LEBOXC)
    Re: Constant "off-days" (being tired)

Do a google search and read up on over training -  you sound like you are doing 3 work outs per day - practice and 2 runs ??

Also are you nutritionists aware that you run 80 miles per week ?  - the diet looks a little light to me -

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...