Skip navigation

3833 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2008 10:38 AM by RyanActive RSS
RyanActive Active.com Staff 87 posts since
Jun 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2008 10:38 AM

Girls Playing With the Boys

There is an article on ESPN.com about  Jasmine Plummer, who five years ago made history by quarterbacking HER football team to the Pop Warner Super Bowl back in 2003.

Obviously, girls have come a long way in youth sports this generation. Females are wrestling with the guys all over the globe. Many continue to play football, perhaps inspired by Jasmine. Olympic water polo player Brenda Villa earned All-CIF honors playing high school water polo with the boys. The list goes on.

I remember when I was about 9, I played on a little league baseball team with a girl. I had the normal prejudices most 9-year old boys (with no sisters) would have, until I played catch with her at the very first practice. She could wing it, and hit me right in the chest every time. In the first game, using a wood bat, she cracked a double into the left-centerfield gap. She was mobbed in the dugout with high-fives once she came around and scored, and nobody noticed the blonde ponytail sneaking out from under her helmet again. She was one of the most popular players on the team before she moved halfway through the season because of her military dad.

Years later, I'm still glad I was her teammate. She buried a lot of my close-minded feelings early on, and I was proud to see girls compete with the boys from then on -- probably earlier than a lot of other boys were. I ended up playing on a U12 soccer team with my female cousin, who was probably the fastest player on the field. She went on to run track in college.

Anyone have similar stories of girls playing with the boys?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...