Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1704 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2008 1:06 PM by Kyle B
Deborah Acosta Community Moderator 69 posts since
Nov 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 29, 2008 7:40 PM

Yasso 800's??

I finished reading Bart Yasso's book and I wanted to get input if anyone has tried his training method??

I'm currently training for the Long Beach Marathon, San Antonio Marathon, Vegas Marathon and possibly the Noble Canyon 50K...

Happy Running,

~ Deborah

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 29, 2008 10:10 PM (in response to Deborah Acosta)
    Re: Yasso 800's??

I haven't but I know people who have used Yasso 800s and found them to be a pretty good predictor of marathon time.  Note that they have to be done at a particular point in training and following his specific method to work as advertised.

Len

Len

• Kyle B Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    3. Sep 2, 2008 1:06 PM (in response to Deborah Acosta)
    Re: Yasso 800's??

I recently replaced a 7-mile pace run with Yasso 800s just to see how I'd do.  I'm training for the Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October, so I'm still kind of mid-season.  Anyway, I did 10 reps of 800s with 400 meter cool downs in between.  Also, I kept speeding up a little at a time instead of staying steady because it was going so well.  My goal was to do ten reps in 4:14 each time, but ended up starting at 4:11, working down to 3:57 by the 9th rep, and letting it all hang out with a 3:48 on my last.  That was very encouraging, since my median and average reps were around 4:06 and 4:03, with a max of 4:11.

I've heard that these are an accurate predictor, and time will tell, but I still don't think I can pull off a 4:03 to 4:06 marathon.  My half-marathon PR was 2:01, set in May, and I currently struggle keeping up with marathon pace (based on a 4:05) on my 7-8 mile pace runs.  But I did my Yassos on an unusually cool morning for August (about 60 degrees), while my pace runs have generally been in 70-75 degree weather.

Also, as every individual is different, I seem to be relatively slower on longer races - when I look at the Runner's World training calculator, I seem to slow down at longer distances more than the average bear.  For instance, my 5K PR of 24:33 indicates that I should be able to do a 10K in 51:08 and a half-marathon in 1:52:44, but I can't break 2 hrs on a half or 52 min on a 10K.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...