Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2216 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2008 4:47 PM by LMB22 RSS
LMB22 Rookie 20 posts since
May 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 2, 2008 7:07 PM

New 1/2 Marathoner in Training

Hey there everyone! I've been running my butt off since the end of March! 2nd year runner - 1st serious year of training - & Love it!!!!!!!!!!

Got a few questions - hope to get some answers. Just read the thread from jc34360 which was quite informative.

I've been thinking of doing my first 1/2 Marathon in Oct. 5th (the Brooksie Way) and also there are a few in AZ next year that look like fun. My 1st question is this: "is it okay to run/walk a 1/2 Marathon?" I just completed the Crim 10 mile (my first long haul race) and it's training run. I did both with the 2n1 run/walk method. I'd been training - running once a week or so - w/ some peeps in the Crim training program and this is how they did it. I also do my own thing other days of the week and basically I will run for 1 mile walk 1/8mi and so on. I felt I could've done better, timewise, if I would've just done my own thing, but the conditions were not my optimum - so I guess it wasn't that bad. I finished 1:59 - 9 min. over my goal. Anyway, upon completion of the 10miler, I mentioned to my husband that I thought it would be cool to maybe do a 1/2 marathon since I'm almost there in my training.  But his thoughts are that you should be able to run the whole way before you commit to doing such a thing. So he challenges me, and then I challenge myself. I went out and ran 2 miles, walked 1/8 and then ran back 2 miles or so. Did this a couple times this week and then today ran 3.5, walked 1/4, ran 2.5 home. (I was dripping wet when I got to McD's for my water break - but felt great!)  I'm still in the 10 - 11 mm range and happy w/ that. I listen to my body. I hydrate. I take my powerbars, or powerbeans along the way. So my second ? is: "am I gonna be ready for it?" - if I keep up my long distance runs (increasing my distance every couple of weeks) and keep doing my maintenance runs every other day? Any Suggestions/Comments?

Thanks in advance! I love this site - lot's of great info/feedback - plenty to learn!

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Aug 30, 2008 4:00 PM (in response to LMB22)
    Re: New 1/2 Marathoner in Training

I don't think there's a problem with completing a half marathon using a run/walk approach. I'd prefer to run the entire way, but that's preference (I did end up walking in my half marathon in May). I know that Bill Rodgers, past winner of the Boston and New York City marathons walked through the water stops. If he can walk, I figure it's okay for the rest of us, too.

I'd be inclined to follow some form of more structured training program to prepare for the half. I used the FIRST half-marathon training program from Runner's World magazine. I started with that program about nine weeks before the half, and I just followed the last nine weeks. You could try following the last four or five weeks. You should be in decent shape, having just recently done the ten mile race.

Before my half, I did make sure to do at least one run of 13 miles, just to build "mileage confidence." That is, I wasn't sure I could complete 13 miles until I'd actually run it. That went a long way towards my peace of mind. That said, since you have done the ten, you should be able to do the 13 just fine with just a little more training.

Otherwise, sounds to me like you're doing everything right.

Let us know how it goes!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 30, 2008 7:25 PM (in response to LMB22)

There are lots of different half-marathon training plans out there.

The one I used was the Furman Institute for Running and Scientific Training (FIRST) plan. You can find a simplified version of their plan on the Runner's World Online site: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-9369-0,00.html

You could also take a look at Hal Higdon's site. Here's a link to his novice half-marathon plan: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Those are the two that come immediately to mind for me, but if you poke around you'll be able to find others.

Have fun!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    4. Aug 31, 2008 7:39 AM (in response to LMB22)

come over and join us on the Half Marathoners training thread -

Yes you can run walk ... as long as you are moving faster than any pace limit the race may set

Yes you can run a half - I ran my last with a longest training run of 10 miles as per the Hal Higdon program and just finished a 10.5 mile run today - my last and longest run training for the Chicago Half - while I wont break any reacords I will run the whole distance

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• PWSammy Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 11, 2008
    5. Sep 2, 2008 6:11 AM (in response to LMB22)

Congrats on finishing the Crim!  I was there too... walking my heart out in that horrible heat.  I'll also be doing the Brooksie Way in October and I signed up for the Crim extension training that will help me be ready for the race.  I'll be walking since I am no where near ready to run yet. 

I see no reason why you can't do the half marathon.  If you can do 10 miles in August, you certainly can do 13 miles in October!  And who cares if you run/walk... it's not about achieving the best time it's finishing the race and achieving your own goals. 

If you can't sign up for the Crim extension training, you could certainly follow the training schedule they have set up.  This past Saturday we did 4 miles.  Next Saturday we're schedule to do 12.5 miles.  Then back to a recovery week of 4 miles and 14 miles the following week.  Call Dorie and the Crim office and see if you can still get involved - it's not too late to sign up, I'm sure. 

Good luck with your training!  And see you in Rochester at the Brooksie Way!

~Pam

Jul 11, 2008
    6. Sep 2, 2008 6:13 AM (in response to LMB22)

I should also add that many of the training groups are still meeting on Tuesdays and Thursday to get their miles in.  Just meet at the UofM clock tower downtown and you can go out with whoever is there.  I've heard they training all winter long.

~Pam

• jc34360 Rookie 42 posts since
    Aug 27, 2008
    8. Sep 2, 2008 5:40 PM (in response to LMB22)

Hi LMB22,

I saw you read my posting about the1/2 marathon. I agee with Don in that if you can, you should defintely try to run a 13 miler if only for the mental confidence. I was a little freaked out but convinced myself that walking a good portion would be fine (thanks to reading a lot on these forums) and that it was mostly for the fun and experience this time around for me. Having listened to Don, Spicegeek and a friend of mine I walked all the water stops but amazingly managed to run the whole thing  and am now psyched to train for a real one - 1/2 that is!. So basically I think you'll be fine - just stick with it and good luck!

Jul 11, 2008
    10. Oct 5, 2008 4:41 PM (in response to LMB22)

WooHoo!  Congratulations on your finish! 

It was definitely cold out there this morning wasn't it?  I'm glad I didn't know it was only 39 or I would have felt even colder.  I walked the race and ended up at the back of the pack.  But I'm glad I finished and glad I was part of this great race!

Hey... and it was also cool to be able to say that we did a race with a US Olympian, huh?

Pam

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...