Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

17655 Views 155 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2008 5:14 AM by ksrunr RSS 1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 1, 2008 9:02 AM

50 Plus Training and Racing - September

Sunday

7 mile warmup, 1:59 all out, 1 mile warmdown, injured achilles

Monday

8 miles untimed, 63F

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    1. Sep 1, 2008 9:47 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - September

Thanks for getting us started, Fred.

Ribs, I think you are experiencing what is often a part of the healing and recovery process. You've done so well. Maybe it's time to maintain and not increase.

2 hours on the AT today.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Sep 1, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to euphoric)

Euphie, I know that you are right.  I am approaching rehab the same way I approach running training, and I don't have to.  In any case, today is a day off.

I'll have to scold Ksrunr, who posted his 14-miler in the August thread today.  Now how many times did we warn him the new thread starts today?  These kids.  Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Sep 1, 2008 10:02 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Fred - hope your achilles injury is mild

Euphie - is it cool up there?  If so; send some on down south please.

Ribs - scolding accepted.  How are you at painting?

Go Ribs!!

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    4. Sep 1, 2008 10:47 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, I had neurosurgery a number of years ago.  My personality, at that time, was similar to yours.  I remember one of the surgeons coming in to say goodbye and warning me, "Take it easy.  I mean really take it easy.", with a finger shaking at me.  The big shot there was the one who talked to me about the healing process and how normal it was to feel depressed at some point on the timeline.  I think that happens because you start to feel so well, but your body still isn't fully cooperating.  Sometimes you just have to feel content with another good week.  They don't all have to set a record.  So, take it easy, really.  If you are taking any new meds, you may want to discuss these feelings with your doctor.  That's a sign of strength, not weakness. 

Ks, I started at 55 degrees and finished in 77 degree "heat".  It would probably be easier if you headed north for better temps.  I was traveling in Rich's direction.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Sep 1, 2008 1:22 PM (in response to euphoric)

August 3:

" Ribs sat in a chair yesterday for a bit and ate his first real meal since the surgery. This caused some pain later but had the problem under control before the"saint" (Mrs Ribs) went home at 10 PM. I think ol ribs is going thru and ordeal."

Within 2 weeks of this day he was doing 4-milers and I saw more than a couple "feeling great" and similar comments.

Aug 18:

"My next goal is the ability to walk 5 miles at 15 minutes a mile. I will hit that goal very soon, but no running until October first, at least. Spareribs "

Aug 19:

"5 miles on the Y indoor track @ 14:46 per mile. Felt super."

and now this:

"there are times when I really get down in the dumps about my progress and wish I weren't so tired. The dr. warned me about this too. It's a runner's thing I think."

It's a human's thing I think. You have done amazingly well, Ribs. I'm sure that there will be more "felt super" days ahead. The bad ones just make us appreciate the good ones more when they come.

I plan to be posting more this month. This was my first ever runner's forum and has helped me a lot over these past 3 years or so.

Hopefully there will be lots of healing from all the injuries and other aches and pains that have been going around.

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Sep 1, 2008 2:49 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Thanks to both Euphie and Jim and others who have expressed similar concerns and thoughts.  You should all know that I have written a letter to the surgeon which outlines all my activities, along with concerns, questions about meds, activity, feelings and hypotheses.  My point in doing this is that if he reads the letter in advance of my appointment, I will have no risk of us not covering every issue, and it will streamline the appointment too, making the best use of his time.  I don't want to drive home from the dr. and think "Oh, I forgot to ask him this question."  All is well.   Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Sep 3, 2008 9:05 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred, after you said you needed to find another way, I thought maybe some longer runs at steady state or tempo would be fine, and then thought, "but who am I to give advice to Fred?"  Then I saw your McMillan post, which by the way was helpful and I see you have a plan.

Yesterday (Tuesday):  5.1 very slow, felt sluggish the whole way, I think still tired from that fast walk on Saturday.

Today (Wednesday)  5.25 miles with my wife at just under 16's.   It's cool here in N. Tx, very windy, but no rain.   Ideal day for a walk.   Spareribs

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Sep 3, 2008 12:35 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

In recent years I've thought of steady state as defined in the article as slow tempo. By either name I think they can be very benefcial.

I've been back doing normal workouts for almost 3 weeks following a period of nothing but slow-easy runs. Sunday will be a 10-mile race in Sacramento and should give me a good idea where I'm at. It figures to be warm and sunny, but nothing like they have in Texas.

You are really racking up those miles Ribs. It's hard to believe that it's only been a month since they turned you loose.

Good luck with that achilles, Fred. 

Aug 14, 2007
    11. Sep 3, 2008 1:39 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Hope you have a good race Jim.

8 mi steady state yesterday.  10 mi of hills this morning.  Amazing what 10-15 secs per mile slower, 4 degrees cooler temps, 5% less humidity, and 9 mph breeze makes on a run.   Hope to run 22 Fri morning like I did the 10 this morning.  We will see.  Registered today for my one and only Boston marathon.  Have airline tickets purchased and a room waiting.

Go ribs

Aug 14, 2007
    13. Sep 4, 2008 9:26 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred - I notice some of your workouts that you run what I consider odd times  1:55 or 2 x 59 secs. all out.   Why not 2 mins or 1 min or yards or meters.  What are you doing besides driving me crazy?

5.75 easy this morning.  2 or 3 days in a row we had a nice breeze to keep us a bit cooler.  Another 5 or 6 tonight easy getting ready for long run tomorrow.   This morning as 5 or 6 of us gathered to run at a friends house; we find the neighbor out drunk in the street at 5:20 a.m.  He is dancing and playing football all alone.  He decides to come visit for a while and determine what we are doing.   As we leave to run he shouts  "you should go surfing dudes".   Well, that's the only clean thing he said I can repeat. 

Stay sober boys and girls.  

1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...