Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19146 Views 155 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2008 5:14 AM by ksrunr Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Previous Next
  • Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Sep 20, 2008 11:07 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - September

Jacques, good luck to your daughter with that pulled tendon, what a tough break.

Yeah Euph, I didn't have a choice running the marathon, I had to back off because of some dumb racing I did. I was racing when I should have been training and tried to do both at the same time. The good news is I THINK I've learned the lesson and am now anxiously awaiting the next lesson to rear its ugly head. And aren't we lucky to have TWO running wardrobes, the sissies who live where it's warm year 'round will never know what they're missing.

Is Spareribs an inspiration or what?

Saturday,

2 mile w/u, 8 x 400 @ 7:20 pace with 75 sec. jog between, 1 mile c/d. I thought about wearing a parachute to help slow me down after each 400, but found it really wasn't necessary...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    106. Sep 20, 2008 11:07 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

"Spishing"  That's the sound my shoes make on my long runs in the summer from being soaked with sweat.  I was wondering why all those birds were following us!

Euphie - those down hills are a lot more dangerous than those uphills.  But they sure can be exciting.  I'll take my laptop to Hartford and a digital camera and keep up with the posts.

Ribs -  9:44 is some people's race pace.  Keep working buddy.

((Tigger's daughter))

Ran 8 miles recovery this morning including a men's 2 mile fun run at the ladies "You go girl" 5K race.   I had entered my wife in this race again this year without consulting her.   She rearranged her training schedule to run it since I already paid.  She ran 17 miles last night and got home about 9:30.  I coached her just to go and run easy for recovery.  So she goes and runs right at her pr of 25:20.   My son who is a Cat 1 cyclist ran a local 5k as well.  We've been jesting with each other who was still the fastest.  He was hoping for a 18:30 and ran a 17:50 without any recent running.   I think I'm in trouble.

After this marathon I'm going to cut back miles to 40-50 or so and concentrate on speed till the spring 'till it's time to ramp up for Boston.  I'd like to go under 18 in a couple 5k's.  We'll see.

Hey Jim and Rich.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    107. Sep 20, 2008 12:28 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Tigger, that is the pace I am doing quarters.  I can't run a mile yet.  I'm so sorry about your daughter.  I hope this heals up and she has some kind of season out of it.  Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    108. Sep 20, 2008 12:33 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Ks, let me tell you about the "You Go Girl."  We have the series in Dallas and a couple of years ago I ran the fiveK as a tuneup before a marathon.  The shirt they gave us was purple and said "You Go Girl" on it.  I would never wear a shirt like that, so I gave it to my wife.  Next day I found it in my drawer.  She wouldn't wear it either.  So being cheap and not wanting to throw it out, I used it as a cover up shirt over my singlet on a cool day when I raced.  Tossed it early, only to have a spectator pick it up and give it to me at the finish.  Washed it and put it back in my trunk.  Went to a club run some months later and ran with a woman who was wearing only a singlet.  She was cold after the race so I told her I had an extra t-shirt and gave her the "You Go Girl" shirt, for which she was grateful.  She took it home and laundered it and gave it back to me the following week.  I think I still have that darned shirt.   Spareribs

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    109. Sep 21, 2008 9:55 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Tigger, sending more good wishes to your daughter for fast healing.

I went out for two mile leg loosening run and then planned to do about 25 miles of active recovery riding.  Finding myself lost, I stayed between the mountains and made it home after 50 rolling miles.  I stupidly left with no food and only one water bottle.  49 degrees when I left.  80 degrees at the end.  16 mph avg.

I hope your weeks all get off to a great start.  Mine will be a day off.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    110. Sep 21, 2008 4:48 PM (in response to euphoric)

Some active recovery Euph, I wonder what 50 miles on the bike equates to in running. Anyway, be more careful next time, eh?

Sunday,

12 miles easy...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 14, 2007
    111. Sep 22, 2008 8:38 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sunday:  5 miles at a pretty good walking pace.

Monday:  4 miles walking @ 16 minutes per mile.  Tomorrow I will incorporate some running again.   Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    112. Sep 22, 2008 10:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hello Ribs and those who are to follow.   Ribs I understand you're about to go back to earning a living.  

5.75 easy paced miles this morning avg 7:50 per.  Some faster some slower.  My training partner this moring ran too much this weekend and was out of steam.      Plus he stayed out all night at a Santana concert.   Tonight 6 more ez paced miles.  Tomorrow will throw in some quick paced miles in the middle of a 7 miler.  Midweek long run this week only 11 miles and long run Saturday down to 17.  Schedule still calls for 66 miles.

Next week under 50 miles.   Looking forward to that.

Euph you're going to have to get a gps for your bike!  Was your hubby worried sick?

Go Ribs

Dec 14, 2007
    113. Sep 22, 2008 11:52 AM (in response to fred-urie)

In February of 1987 my brother in law said he was going to run Boston and asked me to run it with him.  This left me ten weeks to train.  I figured the BAA would waive the qualification for me since I had qualified easily in previous years.  I called Ron Daws and asked for his help and he said he would put something together for me if I would write him with some details about my current training etc.  I had read his book "The Self-Made Olympian" many times and told him so.  I was then and am now a huge Ron Daws fan. 

Well, true to his word, he replied to my letter with quite a long letter of his own, single-spaced and typed and with a handwritten set of tables including the ten week training program he thought best.  Before I go back to work next week, I am taking this week to do some small tasks, one of which was to transcribe his letter and notes so that I could share them with others.

His letter and recommendations were a reminder to me that people don't prepare for a marathon today the way we did back then.  I was 41 years old when I got Daws' response and I thought it perfectly reasonable.  Today most people would think he was trying to kill them.  Here it is, and I hope you enjoy it:

"2 Feb 1987

Dear __________

Thanks for your flattering, enthusiastic and fun to read letter.  It's always good to bounce ideas, so I'll do what I can here, but I'll also keep it relatively short in order to get this posted before you're half way to Boston.

The best approach would be to target Boston only and then write out one sustained build-up.  If you can get the BAA to waive your qualification time, you wouldn't have to take so many short-cuts in order to run a late March marathon and then recover.

The marathon, unlike most other races, presents an extra racing dimension-namely, you must be able to make the distance.  Then you go for time.  So, as you know, for marathoners, the initial mileage base has added importance.  But to race, you also need stamina and speed, so you'll have to take the remaining weeks available before Boston (about 10 weeks) and carefully parcel out the best combination of workout types.  They essentially are 1) long endurance runs (20+ miles), 2) faster, shorter distance runs (6-15 miles), 3) faster interval-type work like fartlek, hills and fast reps, and finally, 4) recovery runs.

Unique to Boston is that you have to race up and down hills when tired (up Heartbreak and down the other side).  Therefore, it's essential that you retain at least one hill W.O. per week right through.

The basic strategy I'd recommend, realizing that you've got to make the best of the time remaining, would be:

• 1) Get your mileage up to about 80/week, going slow and being ready to back off if you need to.

• 2) Get used to hills using the hill W.O. The beauty of this training is that it serves as a distance run (make it last 12 miles total), it's an interval workout, and you learn to run up and down hills.

• 3) Don't neglect fast interval-type work. You won't run that fast during the marathon, but you'll need the mechanical efficiency, increased anaerobic threshold, and tolerance to anaerobic fatigue that these workouts provide. If you can run fast, you can tolerate the slower marathon pace much longer.

• 4) During the last 5 or so weeks race up to roughly 15 miles roughly every other week (but not the week before the marathon. Races put the finishing touches on training.

I've mapped out two approaches to Boston, the preferred one without any detour to qualify.  Given the week's main training objective I think you should pursue each week, I've blocked out a typical week's work.  It's just a suggestion, and there are many ways you could customize it.  But try to retain the main ingredients and pattern of hard work and recoveries (e.g., you wouldn't schedule consecutive interval days).

Lastly, although your preparations won't be ideal, enthusiasm and smarts count for a lot, and you seem to have an abundance of those.  Plan to run Boston as well as you can given your somewhat abbreviated preparations and then take it from there.

Cheers, and all the best to you.  Keep in touch.  Ron"

"Ten weeks for Have to Qualify:

• 1. Base training

• 2. Base training

• 3. Hills and Intervals

• 4. Hills and intervals

• 5. Hills and intervals

• 6. Easy hills and intervals

• 7. Qualify for the marathon, easy week

• 8. Hills and marathon training

• 9. Hills and marathon training

• 10. Easy week, then Boston

Ten weeks for Don't Qualify:

• 1. Base training

• 2. Base training

• 3. Hill training

• 4. Hill training

• 5. Hills and intervals training

• 6. Hills and intervals training

• 7. Hills and marathon training

• 8. Hills and marathon training

• 9. Hills and marathon training

• 10. Easy week, then Boston

Base

Hill Training

Hills and Intervals

Hill and Marathon

Sunday

Longest run

Longest run

Longest run

Longest run

Monday

Recovery run

Recovery

Recovery

Recovery

Tuesday

Harder medium long

Hill workout (10-12 miles)

Hill workout

Hill workout

Wednesday

Recovery

Recovery

Recovery

Recovery

Thursday

Harder medium long

Medium long

Hill workout

Hard run 6-15 miles

Friday

Recovery

Recovery

Recovery

Recovery

Saturday

Aerobic fartlek

Hill workout

Intervals

Race, TT, or Intervals

Long run-Up to 24-26 miles

Recovery run-Easy distance (as much as still allows a recovery)

Aerobic fartlek-Warmup, then alternate marathon pace with short recoveries

Easy week before marathon-See the book for this."

Spareribs

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    114. Sep 22, 2008 2:44 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Just dropped in to say that I'm still around and actually back to pretty regular running (still mixed with lots of biking, which I've become addicted to as well). I wasn't going to enter any competitions this year, but ended up doing an easy 4-mile "prediction run" that our club has every year, and then followed that by a 5K that was being put on by a friend. The 5K was on that tail-end-of-the-hurricane weekend, in steady rain, and partly over some narrow, muddy trails. But I think I scored an AG win (1 of 2 of us over 60).

This last Saturday I did a really fun 40-mile organized tour of downtown Detroit, seeing some sights that I never thought I would (both good and bad) as almost 1100 cyclists took over some of the city streets. Again I looked for fred across the river against the Windsor skyline, but no luck.

I had half a mind to enter the Detroit HM this year since I'm sure I could go the distance (at reduced pace), but will stick to my plans for taking the year off from strenuous running.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    115. Sep 22, 2008 4:29 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

That's quite a training plan Ribs!  Looks Lydiardesque except for the time frame. 

SS says she is OK after a couple of days off, so it looks like it was only a tweak.  Today is the first day of training for spring track season & I will get a report tommorrow I suppose.  Hey Fred, what happened to Windsor at the Western XC meet?  I wonder what they're going to do now that the faculty is on strike?

My body was feeling trashed on Sunday so I took a day off.  Today I drove to work in the morning, but will get out for some walkies on hills tonight.  Weather has taken a cooler turn lately.  Just 5C this afternoon, but sunny with little wind.  Should be a brisk walk!

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007

5 miles this morning and I have my usual 2 hour Tuesday ride later this afternoon.  A GPS?  I don't even have a heart rate monitor.

Dec 14, 2007
    119. Sep 23, 2008 9:13 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Yes Tigger.  Daws was a huge Lydiard disciple, so everything he spoke or wrote about was right from Lydiard's teaching.  He freely acknowledged in "The Self-Made Olympian" that his entire training plan for the '68 Olympics was built on Lydiard's teaching.

4.2 miles for me today, including a mile of quarters, each followed by a quarter walking.   8:04 total time on the run portion.  Hot again here.   Spareribs

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...