Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18149 Views 155 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2008 5:14 AM by ksrunr RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 Previous Next
  • rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Sep 23, 2008 3:33 PM (in response to euphoric)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - September

"A GPS? I don't even have a heart rate monitor."

Well, now you know why you need one . Mine sure came in handy on my tour through Motown on Saturday. By the way, as a gift, my wife bought me a professional fitting session at a local bike shop, which I will be doing on Thursday. It will be interesting to see how wrong my positioning on the bike has been and if I notice a big difference.

Schedule for tomorrow: 4-mile easy run with a friend, followed by maybe a 30-mile-or-so road bike ride solo.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    121. Sep 24, 2008 9:13 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Wednesday:  5 miles easy walking (so I can run tomorrow).  Spareribs

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    122. Sep 24, 2008 11:14 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Did my mini-brick today, with an easy 4.3-mile run in the early AM followed by a more up-tempo 18.7 miles on the bike in the later AM. My wife is worried that I'm overdoing it with all my free time now and am headed for another injury. I aim to prove her wrong.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    123. Sep 25, 2008 6:36 AM (in response to rochrunner)

Morning all.

Roch - did you get fit to your bike?  How close or far off were you?  My son does a lot of fittings for local riders.  Then after a week or so the riders tend to begin tweaking on their own and eventually have it so messed up they have to come back and pay to have it done all over.  Or they just live with it.

10.25 mosquito, hill, and humidity infested miles yesterday at 8:15 pace.   6.25 miles this morning at avg pace of 8:15 but first mile at 10 mins due to training partner who had intestinal problems.   Humidity still up this morning but temps about 5 cooler.  Suppose to have cool front this weekend into next week.   Fri a 10 miler and Sat a 17.  Then that's about all is left before the race.

Have a good day all. 

Go Ribs

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    125. Sep 25, 2008 11:13 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Roch, I'm curious about the fitting also.  Mine was done before I ordered the bike and I thought it looked small when I first saw it.  Once we got everything right it felt like a dream.  I have had my seat adjusted, cleats moved, and shoes modified a little since then, eliminating the bit of hip flexor pain I was having,   I'm not very fast on the flats, but I love to climb. 

Ks, you have one fast family.  Good luck with the race.

5 miles this morning in 46 minutes.  First and last were w/u.  Cooler temps really make a difference.  Bought new shoes today and hope they're the fast ones.

I can't believe it's already Thursday!   Best wishes for wonderful weekends.

Dec 14, 2007
    126. Sep 25, 2008 11:18 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Euphie, the week can't go too fast for me.  I go back to work next week and my October is jam-packed with work and travel.  I can't wait.

Five miles today, including my first continuous nonstop mile in 9:59, exactly 8 weeks to the day since my surgery.  I feel like I now have things to look forward to.  Feeling good.  Spareribs

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    127. Sep 25, 2008 3:50 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I've been browsing around looking for a half marathon to run this fall and came across this race.  Take a look at who finished 6th overall in a field of over 800 runners last year, the girl can still run.... http://www.coolrunning.com/results/07/nh/Nov4_1stAnn_1_set4.shtml

Easy miles for me most of the week, but ran 9 with hills today.  We've got 4 or 5 inches of rain coming in the next couple of days, so I may cross train to keep from melting...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Aug 14, 2007
    128. Sep 26, 2008 4:06 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

5 miles.  In the rain.  No meltdown. 

Ribs, you've probably now reached the top of your highest ever hill.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    129. Sep 26, 2008 9:20 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Tuesday was a lengthy 95 min TM walk with TM at 10 to 12 percent.  I was quite stiff and sore on Wed, so took the day off.  Thurs was same as Tuesday, but my legs felt good so today that I ran 11k with the final half hr right at 9 min pace.  This is the fastest I have run for months.  It felt like I could not squeeze an extra second per mile out of my legs, although they were not tired.  That pace used to be my HM pace!  I have some work to do to get back to where I was a year ago.

DD began training with her university track team this week.  Monday's workout was a 30 min run, and she said most of the girls were done after 25.  It's becomin clear that not all U's have good training programs.  Meanwhile, she is racing as an unattached runner at Waterloo tomorrow in a 4k XC race.  Her goal is to warm up over the first k and then put 3 strong even k's together.  It's a weakness of her racing, that she starts strong and fades badly, so this will be a test to see if she can reverse her previous results.

Aug 14, 2007
    130. Sep 26, 2008 11:32 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

rich - that was fun too look at.  The 3rd place oa. runner was a woman too!  Glad you didn't melt as euphie didn't either.   Tigger - surely there are some intervals or training to keep your daughter from fading in the last parts of a race or at least better pacing.  Hope she has a good race and let us know how it went.

My friends wife went in for back surgery this morning (day surgery).  Was supposed to be at 8 a.m. but an emergency brain tumor operation pushed her back.  So I left them to go run my 10 and came back.  Was just taking her in when I got back.   10 miles at 7:42 pace.  avg hrt rate 122 and max 135.   Not pushing all that hard.   So the question is can I run 26.2 at 7:00-7:15 at 145 - 150 avg hrt rate?   We shall see in 2 weeks.   17 miles tomorrow and that's about all there is left to do.

Go Ribs

Hey Fred and Jim

Dec 14, 2007
    131. Sep 26, 2008 12:44 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Ks, the answer is yes.  Also, don't assume even that high a HR.  Long training programs tend to make us think that all race performance will be under the same tired conditions.  You are very fit and may surprise yourself.

Tigger, that sounds like a good plan for her.  If she sticks to her guns and really goes out steady but not blistering for oneK, that should be good learning for her.

Dropped the car off for oil change and walked home, which turned out to be 3.6 miles, so that was today's workout.  I am on the Euphie plan of making sure of an easy day among the hard ones.  Thanks Euphie for the reminders.  Tomorrow I am going to push it a bit, but on Sunday will do whatever is easy.  Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    132. Sep 27, 2008 3:32 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, do you remember talking about women and ten  minute miles?  I took that advice to heart and listened to you with good results.

Intense storms will keep me inside today. 

Aug 14, 2007
    133. Sep 27, 2008 7:28 AM (in response to euphoric)

Euphoric either stayed up all night or got up early; posting at 3:32 a.m.? 

17 conversational paced miles this morning with various running partners.  Only one covered the entire distance with me and we picked up and dropped off several along the way.   8:29 pace and 117 avg hrt rate.  Just covering the miles.

Go Ribs

Dec 14, 2007
    134. Sep 27, 2008 8:25 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hey, I want to do 17 miles at 8:29 and talk all the way too!  Waaah!

But on my way there I did 5 miles this morning with my club at the lake and of that 3 miles was running, in 28:30.  And within that I did another continuous mile and a 3/4 mile piece; the rest was quarters.  Felt just fine.  Spareribs

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...