Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19116 Views 155 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2008 5:14 AM by ksrunr Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 Previous Next
  • Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    136. Sep 27, 2008 9:48 AM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - September

Today was just an easy 6k in 40 min.  The sky was clear in the East and the sun was beginning to rise, throwing orange light on the mountains just to the west of my house.  There was new snow on the top of the mountains and swirls of mist from the cool morning air were infiltrating town from between the peaks, so I got my camera and snapped a couple of pics.  I love this country!

KS, you are ready for the race.  You will do fine at your planned HR.  Just remember to take it out easy and build over the first 5k.  Then put it in cruise mode and enjoy!

Mr Ribs, you continue to impress!  I would love to have your mental toughness!

DD reported in a few minutes ago.  She was 10th overall in a time of 16 and change over a very hilly course that she said was definitely more than 4k.  She followed the strategy and said she still had a gear left towards the end, so next time will kick it up just a tad sooner.  She said she had a bout of panic at the start when everyone was leaving her behind while she slowly built up to cruising speed, but she eventually passed about 40 girls on her way to the finish.  She mentioned she beat a couple of girls by 40 sec that had beaten her by the same amount several weeks ago on an easier course where she ran a similar time.  I am just happy that she learned how to run a good result and can build on this in the future.  Next race will be a Thanksgiving (Canadian) 5k race.  First prize is an ounce of gold!  (James and/or Daniel Gosselin have run and won this race many times in the past.)  I think she has a shot at podium, but perhaps not first.  We will see.  As for her training, she will be getting plenty of intervals with her track team, so she hasn't focused on that stuff in her own training.  Her goal race is Canadian Jr National XC race in November.  I think she will be peaking right about that time.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    137. Sep 27, 2008 10:52 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Tigger. this is a very valuable learning experience for her in first seeing the group take off so fast, and then passing so many later on.  She is correct in my own experience that high school kids in general have no sense of pace, and at the gun they take off at blistering speeds.  What success she will have if she learns to pace herself and take advantage of others who do not think like a runner.   Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    138. Sep 27, 2008 11:20 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

HAHAHAHA!!  Yes, you're right!  At least it's been my personal experience, although there are runners who can survive the blistering initial pace and hang on for a good final result.  But I am not one of them, nor is she.  I should also mention that she is only 18 but has been out of HS for 2 yrs.  This race was a university XC meet.

I should tell the story of her Gr 12 provincial T&F races.  She was entered in the 1500 and 3000 meter races.  She ran them about a month after finishing first in her AG in the Vancouver HM, a race she had trained for all winter.  For the 1500 I told her she should go out with the front runners and stay with them and drive them into the ground with her superior conditioning. Her PR was 5:10, compared to 4:20 for the best girl in the race.  Needless to say, the strategy failed miserably.  She stuck with the leaders for 400 meters and then began to fall back,  and she eventually finished dead last in her heat, but with a slight PR of 5:09.  For the 3000 I suggested that she should stay at the back of the pack but not let the crowd get away from her.  Towards the end of the race she was able to pass a few runners to finish 18th out of 24, and again with a 20 sec PR of 10:5.  The girls still went out too fast, and DD had splits of 3:23, 3:37 and 3:50.  Had she run more slowly for the first kilometer she might have been capable of 10:30 on that day, but she was pleased with her PR and it set her on her current path as a T&F and XC runner.  Ever since then I have been trying to get her to slow down at the start and speed up at the end.  This is the first time she's actually done it.

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    139. Sep 27, 2008 4:15 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Euphie, the fitting was really worthwhile. The guy doing it has a degree in biomechanics, so he gave me a checkup that is probably good for running also. For example, my one leg is long in the femur but shorter in the fibula, and he made some adjustments so my pedaling is more even (knee-pedal relationship). It was also nice to get my seat adjusted correctly, as well as the stem. It felt good on a 22-mile ride the next day, and I might go for my first century next weekend.

The "bad" part was that he also set up a brand new bike to my specs and let me take a ride on it.. Now I'm hot for a new full-carbon bike to the tune of $3K+ or something. At least I can tell my DW that it's better than some things I could be hot for (other than her, of course).

Did 6 miles with the club this morning. Best my leg has felt afterwards since I injured it 9 months ago. I think I'm about 95% or more recovered now.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    140. Sep 28, 2008 7:51 AM (in response to rochrunner)

Roch, only $3000? Let me know if you need any help rationalizing the purchase. OTOH, the people I ride with tout the virtues of everything from steel to titanium. Did you try an aluminum bike, with a carbon seatpost and fork, set up to match your geometry? Don't forget, a new bike will require the purchase of some eye-catching spandex and new pedals.

Ribs, have a great and wise back to work week.

I hope everyone else stays dry and has good runs, etc.

I did get out for a run yesterday afternoon and am waiting to check today's forecast before I decide to take a ride or do a swim.

Dec 14, 2007
    141. Sep 28, 2008 7:41 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Today I wanted to see if I could jog continuously for a bit more than the mile I did yesterday and earlier this week, so I went to a local fiveK near my home and signed up.  I figured I would jog as far as I comfortably could and then walk, but as it turned out I felt fine the whole way.  There were about 60 runners and I beat six of them!  Final time was 32:49.  I felt super then and now.   Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    144. Sep 28, 2008 1:51 PM (in response to fred-urie)

The marathon record has been dropping quickly since Kannouchi ran sub 2:06.  They're already almost half way to sub 2:00.  Maybe another 20 years til they get there?  I heard Danny Kassap had a heart attack during the race and is alive but in hospital.

You are in my territory now Ribs.  11k easy today on the track in just over 1:11. First 5k was in 33:15 with HR around 135.  I pushed it a bit and ran the second 5k in 31:30 with HR around 138.  Cooled down, showered and ate brekkie and went for a 10k walk with my Sweetums.

I have a Kona mtn bike with shocks front and back and a fatass seat to kep me comfie on longer rides.  It's aluminum frame but still heavy due to extra shock on the back and a few other goodies like a luggage rack, etc.   Longest ride was about 80 km, mostly roads.  If it wasn't raining today I would prolly go for a ride.

Heading to Vancouver tomorrow night for all of next week.  I really enjoy running on the seawall around Stanley Park.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

Germany is the course for breaking records, isn't it?  Unbelievable!

Spareribs, you rock...

I guess you could say I did a cut-back week this past week, 4 easy miles today to finish it off.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    146. Sep 28, 2008 8:02 PM (in response to fred-urie)

"There were about 60 runners and I beat six of them! Final time was 32:49. I felt super then and now."

Way to go, Ribs. Another big step.

Hi Fred, KS, Tigger, Rich, Roch, Euphie. It's been a while.

Training has been pretty decent here as I get ready for a series of long races. Sunday is 1/2 marathon followed by another on 19th. After that comes 30k (Nov 9), and probably marathon on Dec 7.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    147. Sep 29, 2008 5:09 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Way to go Ribs.  I was wondering when you would bust out and run some distance.   Hope today finds you doing well after the run.

Hey Jim - looks like a grueling race schedule.

5.75 ez thismorning.  Will run under 50 this week.   First time in a long time. 

Good days to ya.

Go Ribs.

Dec 14, 2007
    148. Sep 29, 2008 8:31 AM (in response to fred-urie)

4 mile walk today, Monday, then flying to Chicago for a week of work there.  About time!  Day off tomorrow as I have a long day of work.

Jim, that is a great plan, and you have the base now to handle it.  Good luck to you in all of them and let us know how you did.  Spareribs

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    149. Sep 29, 2008 2:53 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Hey Jim, good luck in your upcoming races...

I've backed off lately trying to get rid of the Achilles Bursitis I've had in my right foot for a while now.  It's not painful, but I'd like to get rid of it if I can.  I'm still running, just taking it easy.

Monday,

5 miles easy...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...