Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

17645 Views 155 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2008 5:14 AM by ksrunr RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next
  • Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Sep 17, 2008 10:47 AM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - September

Looks the Boomers are really booming these days. Lots of good activity going on.

It's time for a few easy days for me. I came back from Sunday with a couple easy doubles (21 total miles) and a harder workout today. Having all those guys go by me during that last 10th has me thinking about Fred's advice of practicing some fast finish. I warmed up with 4 easy, then 3 at tempo sprinting the last 200. After that run over to hill and do 10 x 30 sec up with full recovery; easy run back to car with strides. Groin a litle sore now.

Some scarey stuff in the financial markets, heh?

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    91. Sep 17, 2008 4:25 PM (in response to Jim24315)

I'm no financial wizard, but I gather the financial problems stem from a slumping housing market.  What a mess...

Wednesday,

8 miles total.  2 mile w/u, 4 @ tempo, 2 mile c/d...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    92. Sep 18, 2008 10:48 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Listening to reporters about the financial mess helps make the treadmill miles pass more quickly.

Yesterday I ran 25 min of a 50 min workout on the TM in the morning, then 20 min of a 50 min workout outside in the evening.  I would have gone farther in the evening but my right hip began to act up so I decided to take it easy.

This morning was 13 min warm up walk , 60 min TM run, then 10 min cooldown walk.  Work is done for this week, so will be heading to town this aft for a weekend of fishing!

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    93. Sep 18, 2008 11:20 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Very obvious to me last night and this morning that the last two days I bit off more than I could chew:  that quick mile I ran with my wife, followed by yesterday's 17:30 of slow jogging seems to have been too much.  I must keep in mind that the injury I am trying to heal is in my heart, not my hamstring, glute or calf.  So it's all unknown territory and there is no manual written by Arthur Lydiard or the other guys I know.

So today I walked 4 miles slow, then took a couple of aspirins and I feel super right now.  But this is a lesson and a warning to me.  I won't make this mistake again.  Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    94. Sep 18, 2008 11:55 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs - sure a lot of complaining for a "FLESH WOUND"    -   just kidding buddy

No run yet for me today.  One lady of our church had hip scraping surgery this morning to make more room for the nerve.  Hopefully will end the pain and the numbness she gets in her leg.   Will run easy tonight and tomorrow a.m. a 20 miler.    I received an email from a running club members significant other this morning.  He went to the doctor on his b-day Monday and discovered a brain tumor.  They removed it Tues and sent him home to rest a few days.  They will start radiation next week.  Belief that this tumor is traceable to a cancer they think is in the kidney.   Will do something about that after radiation.   His running days, Ribs, are likely limited.

A lady in our church just returned from a cruise to Alaska.  She spent all her time with guides bird watching.   A few years ago as a school teacher, she was approached by a group of people to write a book about S. TX. birding.  She wasn't even a birder at the time.  She took it on and it was published a year or so ago.   Some of the photos she uses in the book are from my wife's family's aerial photo company.   If anyone of our small group is into birding; I'd send you a copy.  If privacy is a concern I could send it to a p.o. box or whatever.  LMK

Good runs to ya.

Oh, and the butterflys are overwhelming us here in s. TX on the way to Mexico.  You seeing them Ribso?

ks

Dec 10, 2007
    95. Sep 18, 2008 2:49 PM (in response to ksrunr)

ks, I seem to recall Fred's into birding. 

You've come a long way in a short time Spareribs, it's probably time for a break.

Thursday,

5 miles slow...

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    96. Sep 19, 2008 7:39 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

20 miles this morning.  8.5 alone on the flats and then 10 with training partners in the hills and then 1.5 in the hills to finish it off.  8 min pace exactly.  Perceived effort easy.  avg hr rate 122.  I race my 5k's at 162 hrt rate.  Temp 70 degrees humidity 75.   Very happy with the results.

Go Ribs

Dec 14, 2007
    97. Sep 19, 2008 2:22 PM (in response to fred-urie)

The long runs start to feel more "normal" as you progress in a marathon program don't they Ks?

Today to be safe I walked four easy, although I felt fine.  As I mentioned, there is no manual for this, but I think the wise approach is to figure out the total time I spend running.  So far my highest total is 17:30 day before yesterday, and then the next day go very easy.  So tomorrow my goal is 20 minutes of total running, with walk breaks interspersed, but easy work Sunday, e.g., just a walk. 

Rich, thanks.  But I think a "break" is a day of walking and no running.  I don't seem to have any difficulty with a walk and it's great exercise.   Spareribs

Dec 10, 2007
    98. Sep 19, 2008 5:13 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

ks, your training has gone really well getting ready for Hartford, I can't wait to hear how it goes on race day...

Yeah Spareribs, that's what I was thinking when I said "break", backing off a bit.  Your another one whose training is going really well...

Friday,

4 miles easy for me today.  I'm missing out this year on the marathon I've run the last 3 years, I just never got going with training and now it's too late.   My buddy's going and I could go too and shuffle through 26.2 miles, but wouldn't enjoy it much, so I'm going to pass.

Beautiful weather around here lately, lows in the 40's at night and highs in the 60's, perfect for running...

Dec 14, 2007
    99. Sep 20, 2008 7:35 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I had a good day today. 4 total miles, alternating walking and running each quarter for a total of two miles running at a very sedate 9:44 pace. Feeling fine.  Following on Rich and Euphoric's concerns I think I have figured out the best plan for incorporating running, and that is to continue doing alternate quarters of walking and jogging and slowly building the distance.  So next week I can do 5 miles, which will give me 2-1/2 miles of jogging.  And I am keeping the pace on the jog portions down to a very comfortable sub-10 pace, minimizing stress to the heart.  As I mentioned before, there is no manual for this stuff and I am learning as I go.   Spareribs

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    100. Sep 20, 2008 8:25 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, now you're talkin'.  Looking forward always seems longer than looking back, but it's worth the patience.  Please stop being so derogatory about 9:44 miles or I'll start giving advice again.

Rich,  maybe you needed this break and you made a subconscious decision to take one.  I want to thank you in advance for all of your cold weather running advice which will soon be put to use. 

Ks, I hope you have a way to post from Hartford.  I'll bet Ribs has a connection.

I've had an interesting week ending with a 5k practice run and then a 30 mile ride with a climb up the mountain this morning.  I'm more afraid of the down than the up which is starting to get easier.  Gloves, long sleeves and tights today. 

Fred, Jim and Jacques, I hope you're enjoying your runs, weather, birding and life in general.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    103. Sep 20, 2008 9:58 AM (in response to fred-urie)

There ain't another one like you, Fred.  

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    104. Sep 20, 2008 10:20 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Go ahead and make me feel good Mr Ribs!  9:44 is my threshold pace and you're running it right after surgery!

Still good weather in BC.  Leaves are starting to turn, but mostly yellows so far.  No reds yet.  Yesterday I didn't feel all that good....sore right hip, so I just did an easy 6k on the track.  Today was better....11k in just under 71 min.  That's 5 min slower than on Monday, but at least it felt good.  HR was 131, or about 17 points lower than Monday.

DD has pulled an achilles tendon on the day she starts track season.  She is focusing on 800 meters in order to improve her overall speed.  She says her coach does 5 planned practices per week, allowing the girls to do their own thing on weekends.  They also have one weight session.  

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...