Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1304 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 2, 2008 11:50 AM by lenzlaw RSS
CALonghorn Rookie 7 posts since
Jan 23, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 2, 2008 11:40 AM

Completed First 1/2 marathon now what?

I did the Disney Half marathon this weekend. I was happy with my result for my first try-- 1:58(top third of 40-44 age group) but I know I can do better now that I know how this works. I had no experience so I was stuck in the second to last corral with a hodgepodge of walkers and runners. I was overwhelmed at the beginning by the huge number of people! I had to bounce around dodging people until we got out of the Disneyland area. I wasn't really able to develop a rhythm until I got past the 4 mile mark. My splits were 29:55@5k (9:37 pace), 57:20@10k (9:13 pace), 1:25@15k(9:07 pace), 1:58 finish (9:00 pace).

I have two questions. I'm not that great at math, so how do I figure out my per/mile pace after the 5k mark? I know I was speeding up because my projected finish kept decreasing. My second question is how do I proceed with training if I want to do another race in about 3 months? The plan I used for this race was from Runner's World. It started at 16 miles per week and gradually increased until the event. Do I start over with the same plan or is there some kind of maintenance training I should do? Whatever plan I use I mix in swimming and biking because I also do Sprint distance triathlons and I also plan to do a century bike ride in the next 6 months.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,270 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 2, 2008 11:50 AM (in response to CALonghorn)
    Re: Completed First 1/2 marathon now what?

A half is 13.109 miles, 5K is 3.107, difference is 10.002.  Time difference is 1:58 minus 29:55, which is 1:28:05, about 8:49 pace.

Take a couple days off.  Do only easy runs for another 10 days, then ease back into the same training routine that you were doing the last couple weeks before the half (unless you tapered; then before the taper).  If your next race is shorter, a 10K for instance, you may decide to drop back a little on the long runs.  The same thing holds if your next race is several months off (6 or 8 months).  Then ramp up again starting 6 or 8 weeks before the race.  Unless it's a marathon, which is a differenct story.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points